Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »

15 minutes of fine U.S. television

TyPin
Unregistered

RE: 15 minutes of fine U.S. television

great peace Wrote:
STOP TELLING ME THINGS I ALREADY KNOW

I'm tellin' them to Commissar Wink

But you can send me a PM with all the things you already know, and I consider not to include them in my posts Tongue

01.10.2012 16:58
Quote this message in a reply
Commissar
Christian

Words count: 245,807
Group: Basic
Experience: 169
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Quote:
TyPin: Commissar, what you write reminds me of my school time, where our teachers intended to present our society as so mature and enlightened. Even my question, if it were possible to find a better system as democracy for our society, how it could be implemented, draw only the response of: "And how should such a system look like?"

Democracy is essential for stability. But, a monolithic view of democracy doesn't exist. Comparing systems of today between "democratic" and "dictatorship" is useless. Only a a few governments exist without any vote and they will likely decay.

Quote:
TyPin: What you are describing is an Utopia, but not the society I live in (that would be Germany). People do what they do, because they are taught that way, because it is expected, because it is demanded by law, by norm, by the drive to fit in, by the drive to survive. Your assumptions of our society seems superficial to me. I can't see that people do their work, because they want to save up time for somebody. Most people I know do what they do because of selfish reasons. They accept to pay for the elderly, because the law says they should.

People need to make a living. People need an incentive to work. Not all work is equal in time, skill and demand.

Quote:
TyPin: But well, as Helsworth said, so many things can be seen as logic. If there is a coherent structure to it, following the basic axioms of that structure, then I would agree on that. But that is not what I see in the world. We both but have a skepticism. I am skeptic to your believes as you are skeptic to mine. And I get the feeling, that our both thought processes are so very different, based on so very different axioms.

I did not see your beliefs expressed here other than you telling me to be a skeptic. I have no opinion of your views because I've never seen you express any belief.

Quote:
TyPin: I do not know, if you are a skeptic to your own believes too, I certainly wish you were, as I try to reassess my own believes every day. But yes, I want you to be such a skeptic, because I believe in the end you will benefit from it...

Skepticism is merely a phase. Skepticism is not illuminating to me.

"...while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Romans 5:10-11)
02.10.2012 01:33
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarcusAquila

Words count: 18,923
Experience: 50
Glory Points: 25
Medals: 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lyEOLtUh...ure=colike

another shameless example of a downright lie to people. no excuse for this one

The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone.
Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD.
William Lloyd Garrison
03.10.2012 00:30
TyPin
Unregistered

@Commissar:
Sorry for not responding yesterday. I was caught in minecraft building an elevator Wink

However, you know some of my believes already. Your idea of society is a completely different one, i.e. you and I have expressed our believes of why people do, what they do.

Commissar Wrote:
Your responses to me only impress skepticism. Do you expect me to be a skeptic?

We disagree an so many things already and you tell me, you know nothing of my believes. I was not talking of religious believes only.

When I talk about society and our different views, I hope that you reevaluate your view of society. As you might wish that I reevaluate my views myself. However, our discussion is a dead discussion. I do not know how you perceive my responses, but I have the feeling that you do not really respond to my main statements but only to some key words. While I have doubted you view of a society as an utopian view, you have not reacted to this, but answered mostly with trivia. Again, I don't intend insult, I only describe my perception.

And also, why do you think that democracy is so essential for stability?

@MarcusAquila:
I do not know in this video, who is manipulating, the first or the second video. Because I do not really understand, what they are chanting... But it rarely surprises me.

I have friends in Bulgaria, who are complaining about corruption of state and companies. However, my response to that was: "Corruption is everywhere. But I guess here we hide the corruption better than somewhere else.".

04.10.2012 09:40
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

TyPin Wrote:
@Commissar:
Sorry for not responding yesterday. I was caught in minecraft building an elevator Wink

However, you know some of my believes already. Your idea of society is a completely different one, i.e. you and I have expressed our believes of why people do, what they do.

Commissar Wrote:
Your responses to me only impress skepticism. Do you expect me to be a skeptic?

We disagree an so many things already and you tell me, you know nothing of my believes. I was not talking of religious believes only.

When I talk about society and our different views, I hope that you reevaluate your view of society. As you might wish that I reevaluate my views myself. However, our discussion is a dead discussion. I do not know how you perceive my responses, but I have the feeling that you do not really respond to my main statements but only to some key words. While I have doubted you view of a society as an utopian view, you have not reacted to this, but answered mostly with trivia. Again, I don't intend insult, I only describe my perception.

And also, why do you think that democracy is so essential for stability?

@MarcusAquila:
I do not know in this video, who is manipulating, the first or the second video. Because I do not really understand, what they are chanting... But it rarely surprises me.

I have friends in Bulgaria, who are complaining about corruption of state and companies. However, my response to that was: "Corruption is everywhere. But I guess here we hide the corruption better than somewhere else.".

Everyone is corruption, save not like how it is in the Balkans. You at least catch your thugs from time to time - we here never do. Our corruption indexes are in the red, while your indexes are in the green ^^
Democracy isn't essential for stability. The illusion is. Democracy kills survival - only wisdom and competent hierarchies push things forward. 10 people talking in a market are more powerful than 1000 who are silent. As long as 6 idiots can outvote 5 geniuses - democracy sucks! That's why a fixed body of laws i.e. a fundamental law/constitutional law is required. He does just respond to key words - and does not provide organic feedback.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
04.10.2012 10:10
MarcusAquila

Quote:
As long as 6 idiots can outvote 5 geniuses - democracy sucks! That's why a fixed body of laws i.e. a fundamental law/constitutional law is required. He does just respond to key words - and does not provide organic feedback.

You probably would like reading John Adams, Madison, and other American Founding Fathers. They came to the same conclusion: unfettered democracy was breeding grounds for demagogues and tyrants, just look at Athens and some of the super-democratic Greek city-states. Yet, the problem arises when people/government no longer adhere to Constitution. It's a grand government (constitutional republicanism) but when you ignore the central piece of that government, it becomes a vacuum and you get people like Obama (excellent crowd pleaser, null on ideas and solutions).

Laws/constitutions/checks-and-balances are only good when enforced. When people (ie citizens) are corrupted enough to ignore them, then you are living in a different country entirely.

Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD.
William Lloyd Garrison
04.10.2012 12:36
Helsworth
Heathen

I am well aware of the stance of the founding fathers on democracy. Regarding Obama - the problem isn't just him, but the people he has around him. "Tell me who you hang out with, and I'll tell you who you are." As for the republicans - I really don't get why this Romney won the republican nomination? To make a metaphor with Ars Regendi, when you have extremely emergency tasks in the departments of economy, foreign affairs, fiscal code, banking/finance, job creation, et all. How the hell does it end up with endless debates on: abortion, religion, and sex rights? The elephant party could have won over a lot of blue votes if it focused on economics and finance, while relaxing their sphincters on gay civil union and abortion.

This post was last modified: 04.10.2012 14:40 by Helsworth.

04.10.2012 14:39
MarcusAquila

Quote:
How the hell does it end up with endless debates on: abortion, religion, and sex rights? The elephant party could have won over a lot of blue votes if it focused on economics and finance, while relaxing their sphincters on gay civil union and abortion.

The main focus is on jobs/economics, not social issues. If you watched the debate last night, it was all about jobs, the economy, and the future of entitlements, not abortion, gay marriage or anything of that nature.

Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

William Lloyd Garrison
04.10.2012 16:16
Helsworth
Heathen

I was referring to the debate at large - not last night's show. The usual argument I hear from liberal voters is: "I don't vote republican because they're too conservative."

04.10.2012 17:06
TyPin
Unregistered

I watched the debate just partially. I was not impressed with either of them. I feel lucky, not to be an American, so I don't have to choose. But then again, there are no better choices here too.

This is our democracy. Choose the one you despise the least... Well I petty the Americans, that they mainly can only choose from 2 parties Tongue

04.10.2012 22:03
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites