Ars Regendi Simulation Forum

Full Version: Is political correctness murderous?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This comment is worth to read.

Quote:
I stood up to make a point of order. I wanted to ask if he felt that perhaps he was apologising for mass murder, justifying it even. But he wouldn’t take my point. So, somewhat impertinently — hey, I was pretty angry by this point — I interjected: ‘This is an apology for murder.’ His response? To accuse me of racism. To suggest that, like the rest of the media, I was treating Muslims as ‘brown savages’. Because of course, if you ask a difficult question of a Muslim in the public eye who is talking a colossal amount of rubbish then you must secretly hate all Muslims. What a cheap, reactionary shot: shut down criticism by playing the racism card.

This is the climate created by identity politics. So long as we justify any behavior on religious values, no matter how odious the act, we open the for for others to do the same.

In the United States, we frequently see the other side of the coin. Major news outlets will justify the murder of doctors who perform abortion procedures, the denial of marriage licenses, and refusing customers on the basis of religious objection to the customer's sexual orientation, all in the name of the christian god, can we look so astonished when we see Islamists performing murder in the name of their god?

The charge of racism here is equivalent to the pressure groups who portray christians as a persecuted minority. Though it is a misuse of they term, since Islam is not a race, and there are Muslims of every race.

The core of the problem is religion itself.

However, as Freud so aptly put it, religion will never disappear so long as people fear death. That is, after all, the pitch all religions use, even non theistic ones like Buddhism. I do not know if fear of mortality is inherent to the human condition, perhaps a function of the survival instinct that drives us to evade premature extinction and the risk thereof. All animals seem to exhibit it. Perhaps we're not the only ones to arrive at religion as a primitive way to address death. There are other species with big complex brains, like giant squid and cetaceans.I wonder if whales have ever gone all suicide bomber on one another, and we just didn't notice it?

Malone Wrote:
This comment is worth to read.

Quote:
I stood up to make a point of order. I wanted to ask if he felt that perhaps he was apologising for mass murder, justifying it even. But he wouldn’t take my point. So, somewhat impertinently — hey, I was pretty angry by this point — I interjected: ‘This is an apology for murder.’ His response? To accuse me of racism. To suggest that, like the rest of the media, I was treating Muslims as ‘brown savages’. Because of course, if you ask a difficult question of a Muslim in the public eye who is talking a colossal amount of rubbish then you must secretly hate all Muslims. What a cheap, reactionary shot: shut down criticism by playing the racism card.

I would like to point out that some people assert that Brendan O'Neill is misreporting this situation in his article:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost....tcount=103

Lord Alexander Wrote:
I would like to point out that some people assert that Brendan O'Neill is misreporting this situation in his article:

Be that as it may, the phenomenon does still occur. The ayatollahs aren't running out into the streets of Tehran to protest against the Charlie Hebdo slayings. Tudeh is, but then again, Tudeh are atheists.

http://tudehpartyiran.org/en/news/2758-t...rlie-hebdo

Screw political correctness. At the end of the day, if you're smart and not a bigot, you'll now how to formulate your statements without worrying that they'll spark controversy. People who will want to strawman you will do it, regardless of how carefully you measure your words.

Edvard Kardelj Wrote:

Lord Alexander Wrote:

Be that as it may, the phenomenon does still occur. The ayatollahs aren't running out into the streets of Tehran to protest against the Charlie Hebdo slayings. Tudeh is, but then again, Tudeh are atheists.

http://tudehpartyiran.org/en/news/2758-t...rlie-hebdo

When you maintain the freedom of speech you also create the conditions for the crowds that provide verbal support to dangerous nonsense. Political correctness neither exacerbates nor lessens this effect. Those who want to remove such crowds should understand that they have the problem with the freedom of speech, not with the political correctness.

Both the Islamic fascism and the Islamofobia are real problems. Attempts to use one of these problems for hiding the existence of the other problem are dishonest. It is true in both directions.

But unfortunately right now I really do not have the time for such debates.

Lord Alexander Wrote:
When you maintain the freedom of speech you also create the conditions for the crowds that provide verbal support to dangerous nonsense. Political correctness neither exacerbates nor lessens this effect. Those who want to remove such crowds should understand that they have the problem with the freedom of speech, not with the political correctness.

Both the Islamic fascism and the Islamofobia are real problems. Attempts to use one of these problems for hiding the existence of the other problem are dishonest. It is true in both directions.

But unfortunately right now I really do not have the time for such debates.

Oh, now, you see, Tudeh are Iranian atheists. Does that mean anyone criticizing atheism is a racist?

No?

Then why is criticizing Islam racist…….?

Edvard Kardelj Wrote:
Oh, now, you see, Tudeh are Iranian atheists. Does that mean anyone criticizing atheism is a racist?

No?

Then why is criticizing Islam racist…….?

As I already said:

Lord Alexander Wrote:

Quew

lacitiloP ssentcerroC si eht wen msinairatilatot.

Quew Wrote:
lacitiloP ssentcerroC si eht wen msinairatilatot.

True, that is why Le Pens, Geert Wilders and Donald Trump are now all imprisoned. Jaja

Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's