Ars Regendi Simulation Forum

Full Version: Incomprehensible task
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could someone please translate the wage adjusting task into a form of English that makes sense? Currently it reads:

A lot of people are offended by the salary structure.

"There is just one evidence for the value of work. Namely its market value!" Marcus Breitig lectures on topic, an economics professor and originator of a successful investment advisory corporation. "It would be fatal to disturb market mechanisms because of a diffuse and irrational sense of fairness. If someone qualifies himself over a long time he earns the right for better payment, otherwise the education wouldn't pay off."

"The one who acquires higher qualifications is already rewarded by a more comfortable and more prestigious job. Getting more money also is too much of overreaching!" Wilma Meerhamm supposes, who aborted her studies two times and now reskills to become a nurse. "Why people aren't engaged by the state which pays them by their social usefulness mainly? Corporations could rent workers from the state for a fee."

"A fairly copious solution. Also massive increase of moonlighting and pseudo self-employment is to fear!" tax accountant Ilja Guselman warns. "Instead tax reductions or increments should be introduced, with their scope determined by usefulness for the professional category. So most important and essential jobs would be clearly disburdened, to the disadvantage of relatively needless jobs."

PoFi

Let me try to clear that up...

First I would rename that task to "Salary justification", as it is a more direct translation of the German title.

The text should now read:

"A lot of people feel that the salary structure in this country is highly unjust."

"There is only one evidence for the value of work. And that is their market value!" lectures Marcus Breitig, an economics professor and owner of a successful investment advisory corporation. "It would be fatal to disturb market mechanisms because of a diffuse and irrational sense of fairness. If someone has qualified himself over a long time he earns the right for a better payment, otherwise the education wouldn't pay off."

"Who acquires higher qualifications is already rewarded by a more comfortable and more reputable job. Getting paid a higher salary would be far to much then!" reckons Wilma Meerhamm, who aborted her studies twice and is now being retrained to become a nurse. "Why isn't everyone employed by the state which would pay them according to their social usefulness? Corporations could rent workers from the state for a fee."

"A fairly cumbersome solution. There is also a high risk of a massive increase in working of the books and disguised employment!" tax accountant Ilja Guselman warns. "Tax reductions or increments should be introduced instead and the amount would be determined by the usefulness of each individual occupational group. That way the most important and essential jobs would receive a great tax reduction, to the disadvantage of relatively needless jobs."

That is my translation of the German text...as far as I have understood it. For some of the German sentences it was hard to understand what the author of the task meant...but I think it should be clearer now...
That does clarify the last two options a bit, thanks.
Reference URL's