Experience: 1592530
Glory Points: 4327
Medals: 161

Aranjuez
Toledo
Segovia
Valencia
RE: asking for tips and advice

My understanding here is that there is an element of reciprocity when setting tariffs. If you increase tariffs too much, other states will return the favour. So your action will directly lower imports and indirectly lower exports (though the effect seems negligible at lower levels.

That's how the Protectionism reform seems to be set up to work, at least, and there are other tasks that can result in high customs rates for both your imports and exports simultaneously. Protectionism seems to have an immediate impact on imports and a more gradual effect on exports.

Evolve!
13.05.2019 20:17
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghiby
Leader of Wasatch Federation

Words count: 0
Group: Basic
Experience: 14
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

ystradband Wrote:
My understanding here is that there is an element of reciprocity when setting tariffs. If you increase tariffs too much, other states will return the favour. So your action will directly lower imports and indirectly lower exports (though the effect seems negligible at lower levels.

That's how the Protectionism reform seems to be set up to work, at least, and there are other tasks that can result in high customs rates for both your imports and exports simultaneously. Protectionism seems to have an immediate impact on imports and a more gradual effect on exports.

OK,

but still is not clear to me, if I increase tariffs, not a lot, but say 5% or so, will the export increase or decrease?

regardless of the reforms, I'm just trying to understand how tariffs works, so I can adjust, mainly increase exports a bit... not a lot, I don't aim to increase exports a lot, but I'd like to increase exports a bit

in what could we call normal circumstances there are two clear fees, one for export, and one for import with clear effects...

here is just one, and that's puzzling to me, how will affect exports and/or imports if I increase tariffs?

I will try and test a bit, but I don't want to make some major changes or mistakes that may throw off the balance...

*** The greatest power is when you have it, yet you don't need to use it ***

If you like business economics & political simulations meet me also in Virto - Mary realm
14.05.2019 00:42
ystradband
Evolved!

Words count: 428,750
Group: World ruler

Aranjuez
Toledo
Segovia
Valencia

It should have the impact of lowering both. I've never pursued a strategy of raising the tariff rate in any of my many states, but that is certainly the effect if there is a sudden increase as a result of task or reform choices.

Evolve!
14.05.2019 20:32
Ghiby

ystradband Wrote:
It should have the impact of lowering both. I've never pursued a strategy of raising the tariff rate in any of my many states, but that is certainly the effect if there is a sudden increase as a result of task or reform choices.

aha...

so, in fact, those tariffs are not impacting one vs. the other, but both in the same direction, either increase or decrease both... hmm... this is a bit odd...

so, should I understand that only via reforms I could eventually increase exports vs. imports?? this is the only way??

I'll keep testing, as much I have a chance to do so, but I'd like to know what to expect in theory...

If you like business economics & political simulations meet me also in Virto - Mary realm
15.05.2019 02:20
ystradband
Evolved!

Aranjuez
Toledo
Segovia
Valencia

Well, that's my understanding from looking at the effects of my own decisions here.

There are a few tasks that can affect imports and exports. Some of these may involve an adjustment to the tariff rate and others will not. Most task allocation is random, so they could all come up at once or be spaced through the life of your state. They should be pretty obvious to spot as and when they appear.

Evolve!

This post was last modified: 15.05.2019 22:49 by ystradband.

15.05.2019 22:48
adder
Westwelt-Patriotin

Words count: 490,855
Group: Premium
Experience: 909
Glory Points: 110
Medals: 3

Japan
Roma

Ghiby Wrote:
so, should I understand that only via reforms I could eventually increase exports vs. imports?? this is the only way??

No, both tariffs and tasks, and many other values affect exports and imports. In Ars Regendi most states have after a while an export surplus (that's part of the success of a state), so it is easy to increase export.
Exchange Rate (i.e. the Value of your states currency) and cost of living affect them for instance. Cost of work, taxes etc.

Falls bei einem Quote kein Name steht, geht davon aus, dass der letzte Name immer noch gilt und es derselbe Post war!
Ich halte mich an meine Zitatregeln: beim ersten Zitat aus einem Post wird ein [" Quote= ]" gesetzt. Danach bis ein neuer Poster oder ein neuer Post kommt, nur ein "[ Quote "]. Falls ich zwischen Postern hin-und-herspringe, nenne ich den Poster auch häufiger.

Si vis pacem para bellum

"Alles, was der Mensch ist und was ihn über das Tier hinaushebt, dankt er der Vernunft. Warum sollte er gerade in der Politik auf den Gebrauch der Vernunft verzichten und sich dunkeln und unklaren Gefühlen und Impulsen anvertrauen?" (Ludwig von Mises)
16.05.2019 01:14
Ghiby

adder Wrote:

Ghiby Wrote:

No, both tariffs and tasks, and many other values affect exports and imports. In Ars Regendi most states have after a while an export surplus (that's part of the success of a state), so it is easy to increase export.
Exchange Rate (i.e. the Value of your states currency) and cost of living affect them for instance. Cost of work, taxes etc.

OK,

so adder, how can I increase slightly - not a lot - exports vs. imports from tariffs only? how can I do that?

should I increase tariffs? or decrease them?

after all, this is my aim, to increase exports vs. imports, using the tariffs and I don't know how to do that, hence me asking for advice here...

you mention I could do it via tariffs, so how?
what should I do?
increase or decrease my tariffs so I can increase exports?

I am testing as we go, as time passes by, but I'd like to know what to expect, yet, so far, is not clear to me what can I expect if I adjust the tariffs...

let's forget about reforms, as I got that part... let's focus only on the tariffs...

thank you

16.05.2019 02:07
Ghiby

so, I think I got the basics at least...

now, it looks to me it boils down to action points or that influence, to implement reforms if we want to actually do something significant about our nation...

as such, I could use some tips and advice on how can I increase my influence...

at this time I only have 2.92 influence and this is pitiful, to say the least...

if this is my reward for running - good or bad - my nation, as a ruler, then I'm pretty bad at doing my job... hehe...

09.06.2019 01:43
ystradband
Evolved!

Aranjuez
Toledo
Segovia
Valencia

Influence is linked to your other regent stats of Popularity, Power and International Reputation. Popularity has the biggest impact, as you can see from the correlation on the graph from your regent page:

Influence does also increase incrementally as the duration of your leadership of the country increases.

You can use accumulated action points if you want to enforce a reform that requires a high level of influence. Many of these reforms can have far-reaching effects on your state's development, though.

Evolve!
10.06.2019 19:56
Ghiby

thank you, Chris,

I would need at least 15 influence points to do what I'd like to, but I'm so far away that I think I'll never reach that level

so, other than waiting to have the influence incrementally increased over time, is anything else I can do on my end, to increase the regent's influence at a faster pace?

I mean, I assume the reforms as options, are there so we can eventually use them, yet, how can I use them, if I don't have enough influence points or a clear way to increase the influence

11.06.2019 01:47
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any tips for liberalism? Ajay Alcos 4 814 04.08.2015 14:17
Last Post: Helsworth
  I really need advice on how to lower my national debt! Jacque 5 1,138 14.07.2013 00:34
Last Post: CAR12345
  Tips on reducing national debt? ChairmanChao 2 1,121 15.03.2012 14:22
Last Post: ChairmanChao
  Budget Advice? Fremen Talla 2 1,215 26.02.2012 15:38
Last Post: Shadak
  Need advice Sigrun Makinen 3 577 21.03.2010 04:06
Last Post: Sigrun Makinen

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites