Leader of Wasatch Federation

Words count: 0
Group: Basic
Experience: 14
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

asking for tips and advice

hi all,

can you guys, more experienced and veteran players have a look at my nation and give me some tips, some advice on what and how to do in order to make it around here?

it appears I can't post links, so try to find in-game my nation is Wasatch Federation, or see the link in my signature, on on the left, on my profile click on my nation name Wasatch

what I'm mostly concerned, like a lot of others around it seems, is the
National debt -5,156.77 Bil. €

while it seems that I have
Gross domestic product (GDP) 10,195.96 Bil. €

Real GDP 8,623.07 Bil. €

which is all a bit confusing for me, since I'm thinking in $ and I only see one stat in $ that is
GDP in $ 12625.27 Bil. $

and by the way, can we change or customize the view, our view, from our end, to see the numbers, the stats in $, it's quite confusing to me as it is now

thank you all

*** The greatest power is when you have it, yet you don't need to use it ***

If you like business economics & political simulations meet me also in Virto - Mary realm

This post was last modified: 04.05.2019 09:03 by Ghiby.

04.05.2019 08:51
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrProper
天皇

Words count: 405,306
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 183563
Glory Points: 3557
Medals: 94

Hammerfest
Mongol Uls
Dervish
Vanaheim
RE: asking for tips and advice

Ghiby Wrote:
what I'm mostly concerned, like a lot of others around it seems, is the
National debt -5,156.77 Bil. €

Debts are the first "problem" of your state which you have to tackle. The budget of your state gives you a certain control on how to achieve this.

I remember very good guides which are accessible on the Evolution website, which you can access now given the membership of the forementioned alliance. Just check out the respective forum.

Ghiby Wrote:
and by the way, can we change or customize the view, our view, from our end, to see the numbers, the stats in $, it's quite confusing to me as it is now

I assume that you have seen that it is indeed possible to "select" any currency actually used in your state on the overview screen.

The budget, however, is always presented in Euro. This is a design choice, which ensures that you can compare states with each other, which would not be possible if they all had individual currencies displayed.

Also keep in mind that all states start of in the year 1990. From here, they may develop quite differently, so that numbers of your state in the year 2019 may not be comparable with its real counter part at all, even if they would be presented in the according currency.

冥王星違法です

This post was last modified: 04.05.2019 13:55 by MrProper.

04.05.2019 09:45
Ghiby

thanks again Mr. Proper for your fast answer

yes, I've started to make some "noise" so to speak in the alliance forum so I'm sure I'll find some detailed advice via that avenue

as far as the display in euro vs. dollar, I was hoping there are ways to convert in the background of the web application, at least between those two major currencies to give more realism, authenticity and not lastly, to make it easier for us, users-players...

the fact the view, the stats, it's stuck in euro only, it's not very convenient, especially for users not residing in the EU zone, like myself, but I guess it is what it is, and we'll have to take it one day at the time...
I remember that was, for me, from the start, one of the main reasons keeping me from being very active around here, as you can see, I'm an old-veteran player, yet not very active...

now, I'm returning, willing to give it one more try to have fun with you all around here, but it's hard and confusing at the same time, for some of us, for me at least, to switch my brain in euro, when I'm thinking in dollars...

maybe the developer can look into this feature and make some improvements, to attract and retain more players from the Americas side too...

If you like business economics & political simulations meet me also in Virto - Mary realm
04.05.2019 19:45
Ghiby

asking for tips and advice

here is a new question for the more experienced players

how can I lower imports and increase the exports of my nation?

thank you

08.05.2019 02:56
TheLastShah
Human Developer

Words count: 538,901
Experience: 8961877
Glory Points: 1692
Medals: 50

Kalifornien

There are a couple of tasks which can help you by subsidising export-oriented industries, and you always can play around with tariffs. Although I would suggest to think about the benefits of a “surplus” in trade; same goes with “lowering” the “debts”.

...wartet immer noch darauf, dass Nietzsche zurückkehrt. Geniales RP findet man hier.

- | - -

Rise early. Work hard. Strike oil.
- J. P. Getty

World Moderator / Inactive due to injury Sad
08.05.2019 17:38
Ghiby

TheLastShah Wrote:
There are a couple of tasks which can help you by subsidising export-oriented industries, and you always can play around with tariffs. Although I would suggest to think about the benefits of a “surplus” in trade; same goes with “lowering” the “debts”.

thanks for the suggestions

now, it looks this could be a nice debate to engage in... I assume you mean there are some negative effects of having a surplus in trade exports vs. imports and also that not having debt, or having a surplus in the nation's treasury, with a more income vs. expenses may also have some not very beneficial consequences...

if so, why is that?? let's engage in this debate...

as if it's true, if not having debt or having a surplus in treasury and/or having a surplus in foreign trade, if that can hurt the nation then it's counterintuitive and against common sense... if so, why is that?

08.05.2019 21:51
MrProper
天皇

Words count: 405,306
Experience: 183563
Glory Points: 3557
Medals: 94

Hammerfest
Mongol Uls
Dervish
Vanaheim

Ghiby Wrote:
if so, why is that?? let's engage in this debate...

I won't, since I am confident in statements about Ars Regendi, but not about reality. I leave this to Shah, given that he is the one who started it. Wink

Ghiby Wrote:
how can I lower imports and increase the exports of my nation?

As Shah rightfully pointed out, increasing tariffs is a potential measure to counter cheap goods from export oriented nations. In general, many tasks have to do with your states economy and trade, therefore having an impact on both; Imports and exports. Projects, reforms, demographics, and other factors can also affect the forementioned (either short term or long term).

In my eyes, having a big trade surplus (that is a high export to import ratio) is not necessarily good thing. It often means that the value of your currency is low and, sometimes, be a symptom of weakening private consumption.

冥王星違法です

This post was last modified: 09.05.2019 20:01 by MrProper.

09.05.2019 20:00
Ghiby

MrProper Wrote:
In my eyes, having a big trade surplus (that is a high export to import ratio) is not necessarily good thing. It often means that the value of your currency is low and, sometimes, be a symptom of weakening private consumption.

you have a valid argument here and I fully agree overall... in my humble opinion, it's the high ratio export vs. import that counts... the key word being "high"...

now, I may be wrong, in relation to how AR is behaving or responding, but I assume it's somewhat, somehow based on real-life scenarios, as such I'd assume will follow some real-life patterns, if for no other reasons, but to simulate some realism and authenticity, as much as a game simulation can do..

with that being said, here is my point:
1. I agree a very high export vs. import ratio can be damaging for the economy
- by very high, I'd guesstimate say 5 times, or 10 times, or who knows, 20 - 50 times more exports than imports, that can indeed lead to severe consequences, I could list some of those negative consequences, but that's not the scope here and now

2. however a decent ratio, say exports are only 10-20% more than imports, meaning 1.1-1.2 times more than imports, that can be healthy to an economy, bringing in some cash surplus to the treasury, it's nothing wrong with having a wealthy treasury - not just pure paper, as this will lead to inflation, but a real healthy cash flow into the treasury, that can be good, as opposed to a deficit

so, from my perspective, I agree with your statement, for a high to very high ratio exports vs. imports

but for a decent ratio, kept under control, no more than say 1.25-1.5 exports vs. imports, that can be a benefit for any country

now, maybe I jump ahead or it won't apply here, but in my mind, I see exports also from selling technology, patents, licenses to use tech, and any other type of
the intelectual property, so not always products, items from production, but also the result of R&D and labs work, that could be sold for cash...

but, I'll try to identify those tasks and/or reforms to increase a bit the exports vs. imports ratio

how would the tariffs work, how could I influence this via the tariffs?? are the tariffs like customs duty fees?

the reason I'm asking is that I'm a bit confused, considering the term "tariffs" is often used for setting the power tariffs, for electricity, per regions, per cities, and that in itself has also a significant impact on the economy of any country

I mean, for me at least "tariffs" and "customs duty fees" are not the same thing... so, how does it work here, how can I influence the exports vs. imports ratio using the tariffs...

thank you

09.05.2019 21:14
ystradband
Evolved!

Words count: 428,750
Group: World ruler
Experience: 1590814
Glory Points: 4327
Medals: 161

Ulya
Aranjuez
Toledo
Segovia

Yes, as far as this game is concerned, tariffs are customs duty fees.

There are a couple of tasks that can raise this substantially, however there's a greater number of tasks that will make your exports more attractive. It looks like you have been raising customs tariffs when changing the budget - this seems to have had a minimal impact on your trade deficit.

I'd hazard a guess that imports and exports are limited to trade of goods here. This may not be the case, but there is no discernible boost to exports that I've noticed from developing drugs that will cure cancer through the associated project.

Evolve!
12.05.2019 11:52
Ghiby

ystradband Wrote:
Yes, as far as this game is concerned, tariffs are customs duty fees.

There are a couple of tasks that can raise this substantially, however there's a greater number of tasks that will make your exports more attractive. It looks like you have been raising customs tariffs when changing the budget - this seems to have had a minimal impact on your trade deficit.

I'd hazard a guess that imports and exports are limited to trade of goods here. This may not be the case, but there is no discernible boost to exports that I've noticed from developing drugs that will cure cancer through the associated project.

aha... I see... so tariffs are customs duty fees...

yet, is not clear to me if are applied to exports, or to imports, or a combo of the two

in other words, if I increase the tariffs, what will happen? the exports or the imports will be lower due to fees restrictions?

12.05.2019 15:07
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any tips for liberalism? Ajay Alcos 4 794 04.08.2015 14:17
Last Post: Helsworth
  I really need advice on how to lower my national debt! Jacque 5 1,118 14.07.2013 00:34
Last Post: CAR12345
  Tips on reducing national debt? ChairmanChao 2 1,107 15.03.2012 14:22
Last Post: ChairmanChao
  Budget Advice? Fremen Talla 2 1,197 26.02.2012 15:38
Last Post: Shadak
  Need advice Sigrun Makinen 3 566 21.03.2010 04:06
Last Post: Sigrun Makinen

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites