Post Reply  Post Thread 

Benefits of English over other languages?

Albertjoe
Unregistered

Benefits of English over other languages?

English is a global language. It has more advantages over other languages. It is more easy to study, understand and speak than that of other languages. If you know English then you can surely stand your head anywhere.

16.11.2017 05:17
Quote this message in a reply
BuffaloBill
Posting Freak

Words count: 235,251
Group: VIP
Experience: 1399
Glory Points: 410
Medals: 16

RE: Benefits of English over other languages?

That's not true. English is easy to Start with, but hard to master.

There are certain Words that are borrowed from other languages, but actually don't make any sense at all.

Example?
- So why is there no Ham in a Hamburger?
- If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught?
- “Overlook” and “oversee” have opposite meanings, while “look” and “see” mean the same thing.

and to close an instant classic:
- If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Therefore it is only local that a lot non-nativ (inclusive myself btw) and even a few native (take some slang) stick to something that i would call "Simplified English". So some language that anyone understands, but the Queen in England would probably drop dead if she ever hears it.

Oh and to fill the Picture. English is the global language because of the USA. Before that, French was the global language - and none could say that that's easy.

21.11.2017 20:46
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cloudsky01
Ein fantastischer Spieler

Words count: 13,824
Group: Basic
Experience: 2567
Glory Points: 240
Medals: 5

RE: Benefits of English over other languages?

BuffaloBill Wrote:
Example?
- So why is there no Ham in a Hamburger?

Hamburgers are actually named after the city in Germany, the citizens of which supposedly introduced Hamburgers to the Americans Smile . But Bill’s right, there are lots of tricks, traps and deviations from the “rules” in the English language that make it difficult to learn.

BuffaloBill Wrote:
Therefore it is only local that a lot non-nativ (inclusive myself btw) and even a few native (take some slang) stick to something that I would call “Simplified English”. So some language that anyone understands, but the Queen in England would probably drop dead if she ever hears it.

I’m Australian, and I just remember going to a school in Munich where some of the students scored better in the English exam than I did Lachweg
It just goes to show that even native-speakers aren’t perfect (and I’ve always considered myself good at English).

Grüße aus Australien.

This post was last modified: 23.11.2017 01:57 by cloudsky01.

23.11.2017 01:55
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Insulting dismissals in different languages. Edvard Kardelj 7 1,303 30.08.2015 08:41
Last Post: Helsworth
  English vocabulary test Malone 2 1,726 08.10.2014 02:27
Last Post: Rising Phoenix
Exclamation English is becoming more and more important Unkas 5 1,533 15.03.2010 20:25
Last Post: Cycieties

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites