Helsworth Wrote:
Peer pressure and 'shame' keeps people from revolting against authority (revolting in the positive way against unjust authority) and becoming hermits. You'd require knowledge of herbs and other stuff - access to forests and mountains. Got to have mountains. And of course, you do need an awesome philosophy to keep you going.
Have you guys seen 'Into the wild?' It's rather a tragedy, really - but a very good movie.

Beautiful...
I have not seen the film. I haven't seen any new film almost since 20 years... I've been "into the wild", my own "inner wild" in the midst of the suburb.
I've lived well below a Swedish "poverty line" all my adult life. I have experienced no material misery, only lack of freedom and autonomy.
No herbs... Reading, writing... An awesome philosophy has kept me going... That was beautifully summed up 'Sworth...

debauchery Wrote:

Sylence Wrote:
I apologize, I cannot even consider to enter into the faith you suggest, no matter the good reasons you might be able to present for it. If I'd come out as a worshipper of you, Debauchery, as the Son of god who died for my sins, and indulge in such a cult, the society where I live would sooner or later have me incapacitated.

You're supposed to keep it secret.

Sylence Wrote:
I'm not sure else what is the point you wish to make.

Idiocy is much deeper than religion. Newton was religious. Religious people can be rational - that's just an insult. Idiocy is in the category of animalia. A religion does not have to be.

Helsworth Wrote:
Peer pressure and 'shame' keeps people from revolting against authority (revolting in the positive way against unjust authority) and becoming hermits.

Oh come on, I'm a hermit, it's not all that great. I prefer it when I can find a decent spiritual group.

If religion is defined as a social behaviour, it makes no sense to keep it secret.
A "private religion" is a mere aesthetic experience.

I mean that every human society has religion. It is nonsense to demand a society without religion. On the other hand I wish we may not be blindly religious, but cherish a capacity to take a critical and flexible view on the religions we practice. In a sense religion is "idiocy", but to demand a social life without any religion is nonsense.

I think we are constituting a decent spiritual group here on this forum... But Internet friendship, I find, has a tinge of hollowness... It's like friendship in the bar, under the influence of alcohol... enthusiasm and sympathy so easily struck, but where is it the next day..? It doesn't move any grinding millwheels...