hamma13

Words count: 5,191
Group: Premium
Experience: 474
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Iran II
Civil Rights and Happiness

I want to suggest a review of the calculation of the Happiness index. I don't think it is realistic to have a very high overall happiness if civil rights are basically non existent, as is currently the case in Birago (90 and 9).

03.03.2018 13:47
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrProper
天皇

Words count: 318,362
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 178769
Glory Points: 2752
Medals: 70

Indien
Jilin
Korea
Ichnusa
Kamerun
RE: Civil Rights and Happiness

This does not necessarily contradict each other. Taking a real life example, the United Arab Emirates are listed on rank 21 on the World Happiness Report from 2017, even before countries like France, Spain and Japan. Nonetheless, the UAE is considered "not free" with respect to civil liberties. Here, and in similar statistics, it ranks very poorly.

If you check out the top ten happiest nations on Ars Regendi, you will find that the majority of them have a very high civil rights index. The fact that few states/regents manage to have low civil rights index, but an overall high happiness, is therefore very realistic in my eyes.

富国強兵
03.03.2018 15:04
hamma13

Iran II

I'm not saying high happiness necessarily needs high civil rights values. In the case of the UAE a ranking in the bottom 30% in civil rights is offset by being 7th in GDP/capita worldwide among other things. But Birago ranks bottom 3% in civil rights in AR -- that's not UAE level, that's North Corea, Somalia and Syria level -- and is nowhere near first world prosperity.

I still think that if an important parameter for happiness (income, health, freedom, security) comes close to zero, significant happiness is not possible anymore. It's the principle of "abnehmender Grenznutzen" (don't know the english term).

And another point: I don't know any happy people ("Völker") where the civil rights have been taken away recently. You may be happy if you never had them and don't know how it feels to be free, but I don't think you will any longer once you had the freedom that is now taken away. And even Iran-Templates start with a significant higher civil rights index than Birago now has.

This post was last modified: 03.03.2018 20:43 by hamma13.

03.03.2018 20:35
TheLastShah
Human Developer

Words count: 331,261
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 8960402
Glory Points: 1382
Medals: 34

Aedernøn
Sudetrepublik

The situation of pensioners and poor people extremely improved within the last 20 years. No more starvation, no more hunger deaths, no more absolute poverty. Why shouldn't the people be very happy Noplan

...wartet immer noch darauf, dass Nietzsche zurückkehrt. Geniales RP findet man hier.

Harald "Blutaxt" Eriksson| Jarl of Sudet [World Riga]

Rise early. Work hard. Strike oil.
- J. P. Getty

Kapitalismus ist die Ausbeutung des Menschen durch Menschen. Kommunismus ist das Gegenteil.
- Aufgeschnappt in Jerewan, Republik Armenien

World Moderator
03.03.2018 20:49
hamma13

Iran II

TheLastShah Wrote:
The situation of pensioners and poor people extremely improved within the last 20 years. No more starvation, no more hunger deaths, no more absolute poverty. Why shouldn't the people be very happy Noplan

I can show you plenty of AR-States where the people were lifted out of extreme poverty without happiness soaring to record breaking hights. Must have been the higher civil rights index in those States that held them back.

This post was last modified: 03.03.2018 22:01 by hamma13.

03.03.2018 22:00
Malone
Admin

Words count: 693,954
Group: Admin
Experience: 838
Glory Points: 125
Medals: 8

Well, Shah and Proper already gave a plausible answer. Of course in the formula system any decrease of the civil rights decreases the happyness, but there are a lot of other influences which can increase the happyness nevertheless.

Politischer Test Test site from Ars Regendi for the evaluation and comparison of political alignments

Please post questions always in the forum and do not message them to me!

Autor der Blüte des Zweifels
03.03.2018 23:40
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rights and Chances Graph Mallory Kade 1 521 12.08.2008 18:31
Last Post: Malone

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites