Post Reply  Post Thread 

Debating School

Killer300
Unregistered

Debating School

Okay, in an attempt to make a thread that is as unpolitical as possible to address this issue, I've posted it here. Okay, here I want to talk about debate skills. Lets talk about debating tactics, how one besides raw practice can improve perhaps, and finally people's debating strategies. Why am I doing this? Because I think a lot of people, including myself perhaps, are encumbered by debating skills that are average at best, causing them to become frustrated and more importantly, not get as much out of things. Even if a person has better knowledge, it may not matter if they don't have good debating skills. Again though, this thread is to be apolitical, so please keep it that way, as best as we can anyway.

To start things off, I present the idea of what I like to call a Revolving Door Argument. This is where both sides say the same thing over and over again with no progress. I hate these, however they exist and in order to get out of them, I think either one side has to consider things differently or, for stubborness, present their argument differently to push things along. The first doesn't necessarily mean you agree with the other person, it just means you pause to do the second. I don't know if these would work though, maybe I'll try to simulate one later. However, if we are ever going to break the ice with certain topics, we need to get out of the revolving door. One that comes to mind right now is enviromentalism, especially global warming, it seems with this community, however I think this may also be because there aren't nearly enough enviromentalists here to challenge the anti-enviromentalists.

26.03.2011 23:11
Quote this message in a reply
VincentNikolai
Independent

Words count: 367,394
Group: Premium
Experience: 178
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: Debating School

Lol, I learned how to debate in school. Tongue I also grew up as the younger sibling by nearly a decade so I had to learn how to present my arguments in a well organized fashion since I was like.... 5. Tongue In this forum I just go with the flow.

Killer's the only person I've gotten caught up into a "revolving door" argument with is you, no offense. It's because you present information that the other side has already countered. You don't like to leave your position, and I tend to PREFER to move from my position. With you I can't really do that though because I know where the facts are, you just present opinions that are way too idealogical for my tastes.

Anyways, I don't want to get too into this just because this probably spawned into your head due to debates we've had. Wink

Politics has no relation to morals.
The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
The Prince- A dedication and political maneuver by Niccolo Machiavelli to prove his advice's value to the maintenance of the ruling Florentine Medici Political force.
26.03.2011 23:32
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Titian
Benevolently Watching You

Words count: 554,088
Experience: 1706
Glory Points: 1364680
Medals: 5643

I've applied as a head of department at your school, however, there wasn't a response from your side yet. However, everybody who'd like to learn how to debate should wath "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister"

"If you grab them by their balls, their hearts and minds will follow." (Yes, Minister)

26.03.2011 23:34
Killer300
Unregistered

Sadly, there isn't a debating team at my school, otherwise I may not even be here. I guess I just can't go with the flow, being the rebel I am/Smile

As for the revolving thing, yeah, your right. We just come from too different of positions, I justify with idealism and you justify with pragmaticism so we approach things differently. I already knew that, but I guess I just wanted to make sure. I'll keep that in mind in the future. I bet if I got two people in a room, one an idealist and one a pragmatic, the same thing would result regardless of the two people's past relationship or political idealogies.

With that out of the way, I do hope this thread does become productive because I really think it could be helpful. It might even reach the levels of that player's guide that DRLHyper made if we give it enough attention, doubtful with that one but we can all dream.

26.03.2011 23:44
Bubboleth

Words count: 43,185
Experience: 101

I learned via the Socratic method. I would make an argument, my father (adopted) would argue an opposing idea, and I would try to refine my idea. By periodically arguing, I learned the different ways people could draw conclusions and the value of historical examples. To be effective, you both need rote learning and lots of Socratic questions.

Communist schools didn't have many questions but I was horrified to see US schools where very few facts are taught. The teacher could then lead students to the "proper" attitudes by asking questions the students could not answer. Only constant study of history and the realization that the people in the past were honestly trying to live and solve problems can help a person escape the dishonest cycle.

You can even debate yourself by putting forth one argument and trying to counter it with all your existing knowledge. I do that while walking and see myself arguing in favor of school vouchers on one hand and in favor of state schools on the other. My view does not change (because I already thought about it seriously) but my understanding improves.

27.03.2011 23:15
Killer300
Unregistered

You got dangerously close to being political, in what is supposed to be an apolitical thread, however I'll let it slide. Just keep in mind this sort of supposed to be an open space for suggestions and stuff basically.

But anyway, okay, I'll try some of them.

27.03.2011 23:57
VincentNikolai
Independent

Words count: 367,394
Experience: 178

Killer's, that was so rude and provocative wow man... I think he's a pretty big person for not saying anything against you there. He's right though. That's how you learn best. Arguing against your own ideas so you get a better understanding of how your opponent thinks, then crushing that thinking. You're like "outflanking" your own mind.

I do that too by the way man. People think I'm weird when I write points down against myself. Suspect

Politics has no relation to morals.
The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
The Prince- A dedication and political maneuver by Niccolo Machiavelli to prove his advice's value to the maintenance of the ruling Florentine Medici Political force.
28.03.2011 01:05
Killer300
Unregistered

What are you talking about? He was close, well never mind. Might have been misinterpretation. I apologize deeply if that was offensive. I must have misintrepretated.

28.03.2011 01:06
Anniston
Unregistered

Even I had man y debates at my school days.i think debate is a good activity to learn for everyone.Thats why school provided such activities for students .It gives us motivation to speck and helps to raise our knowledge and increase our skill.it is a quick thinking process which helps to raise our knowledge and speaking power.
It helps to learn about the merits and demerit of a topic etc.
It also helps us in many ways to raise our knowledge.

30.10.2017 06:45
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How is college life differing from school life? Albertjoe 4 872 25.09.2018 07:38
Last Post: alexbret
  Why does high school suck? BaktoMakhno 16 1,738 07.02.2014 23:52
Last Post: Rising Phoenix
  Szogun's Bible school-Bibelschule szogun 107 15,931 03.01.2014 17:52
Last Post: Helsworth
Cool Old School Classic Helsworth 2 767 08.05.2012 16:05
Last Post: Helsworth

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites