Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

RE: Economic Blog

Welcome back, dude. Re your article, I'd say as a nation state, the US is spending too much on "defence". As the world's hegemonic power, though, I'd say yeah, it probably spends too little on its hegemonic aims. Hehe

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
05.03.2017 20:40
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Richard Wilson

Words count: 2,528
Group: Basic
Experience: 708
Glory Points: 100
Medals: 1

Improved the one on defense and added another.

08.03.2017 12:56
Helsworth
Heathen

You guys in the US really do know how to spend your dollars inefficiently.
In my country, it's the exact opposite. The better performance figures are in the public schools & universities, not in the private ones.
When are you going to write a post about rent seeking?

09.03.2017 19:27
Richard Wilson

Rent seeking is an awesome idea. I'll work on that after the one I'm currently working on (Homosexuality and Judaic Law, How Christians Misread the Bible, etc.) I disagree with better performance being in public schools and universities. Western European experience has been quite the opposite. Maybe in your nation public education operates more efficiently and competitively, but that's unique in the world. I'll have to research your nation's educational system to so what you do differently... but in most of the world, experience has been that educational choice and competition yields better results per dollar that's expended.

10.03.2017 22:26
Richard Wilson

11.03.2017 22:46
Helsworth
Heathen

Richard Wilson Wrote:
I disagree with better performance being in public schools and universities.

I was referring strictly to Romania. The demand to enter public Unis is a lot higher than for private ones. The latter ones are perceived to be diploma manufacturing plants, in which bribes are frequently given.
Do you have twitter?

Richard Wilson Wrote:
https://archive3985.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/the-war-on-drugs-racism-voter-suppression-and-big-business/

3 strikes & you're out Daumenhoch
Seriously, the US has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world. Higher than China, which has more than 1bil people and the government is totalitarian. In my opinion, short & tough sentences are the correct choice + actual rehabilitation programs + a Government job waiting for you after you've served your sentence. Otherwise, if you maintain prisons for profit & the NAIRU is state policy (in terms of fiscal & monetary policy), then you can't fix shit. Crime & repeat offenders ensures profits & jobs. So nobody will be interested to lower or eliminate the former.
As for drugs, make the shit legal.

This post was last modified: 14.03.2017 09:40 by Helsworth.

14.03.2017 09:25
yangusbeef
Unregistered

Helsworth Wrote:

Richard Wilson Wrote:
I disagree with better performance being in public schools and universities.

I was referring strictly to Romania. The demand to enter public Unis is a lot higher than for private ones. The latter ones are perceived to be diploma manufacturing plants, in which bribes are frequently given.
Do you have twitter?

Richard Wilson Wrote:
https://archive3985.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/the-war-on-drugs-racism-voter-suppression-and-big-business/

3 strikes & you're out Daumenhoch
Seriously, the US has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world. Higher than China, which has more than 1bil people and the government is totalitarian. In my opinion, short & tough sentences are the correct choice + actual rehabilitation programs + a Government job waiting for you after you've served your sentence. Otherwise, if you maintain prisons for profit & the NAIRU is state policy (in terms of fiscal & monetary policy), then you can't fix shit. Crime & repeat offenders ensures profits & jobs. So nobody will be interested to lower or eliminate the former.
As for drugs, make the shit legal.

Prisons are too comfortable. Prisoners are paid and provided luxuries. Some prisoners purposefully commit crimes, because they would rather live in the prison "society".

29.03.2017 21:56
Quote this message in a reply
Ajay Alcos
Unregistered

yangusbeef Wrote:
Prisons are too comfortable. Prisoners are paid and provided luxuries. Some prisoners purposefully commit crimes, because they would rather live in the prison "society".

There isn't much difference in quality within prisons in the U.S when compared to those in other parts of the developed world (Canada, Europe and Oceania). Also whatever "subsidies" given to prisoners are accrued from whatever menial work they do within the penal system (e.g. manual-labour), most of which goes to them purchasing said luxuries (tobacco, radios, TV etc) for personal use. This is not particularly different from other prisons around the globe but it is a common form of fiscally self-sustainable rehabilitation amongst prison systems in the developed world.

On the contrary, the problem in U.S. mostly lies in its justice system as it is quite skewed against not so much certain social groups but rather at certain categories of crimes (notably drug-use) which are both prosecuted more intensely and come with more highly severe sentences when compared to other countries. For example when highlighting the use of cocaine, users of crack cocaine seem to be disproportionately represented in the prison system versus those who use coke; even though there is no tangible difference between the two classes of narcotics and the fact that coke is the more widely used of the narcotic.

So if say the U.S. were to reduce certain penalties for drug-use to rehabilitation coinciding with some form of community service rather than a prison sentence, its prison population would in effect reduce dramatically.

30.03.2017 07:44
yangusbeef
Unregistered

Sounds great, that should boom the illegal narcotics industry. More consumers and less risk for said consumers.

30.03.2017 17:50
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Economic advice Justine27 6 1,308 24.07.2018 19:36
Last Post: Richard Wilson
  [Vox] Homer Simpson: An economic analysis Ajay Alcos 0 1,044 06.02.2017 11:57
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  Economic cranks behind MMT? Helsworth 7 1,597 04.02.2017 08:11
Last Post: VineFynn
  Economic Concept: Free Trade yangusbeef 1 1,551 10.01.2017 02:00
Last Post: VineFynn
  The importance of Economic Rent Helsworth 0 1,009 26.11.2016 14:26
Last Post: Helsworth
  Your Own Economic System CaiusFilimon 81 9,570 09.10.2015 07:23
  How to turn litter into money, all about debt, deficits, and economic policy Helsworth 0 2,684 13.12.2014 21:18
  New Blog RichardAWilson 10 1,954 23.06.2014 10:13
  Loanable Funds To Endogenous Money Live (what every economic model lacks) Helsworth 0 1,308 11.03.2014 18:20
  The Green Economy and China's Economic Development Helsworth 1 1,312 27.01.2014 18:02
Last Post: TriniSary7

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites