Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Economic cranks behind MMT?

Many mainstream economists seem to think the idea behind Modern Monetary Theory is new and originates from economic cranks.
New? Cranks? How about reading one of the great founders of neoclassical economics – Knut Wicksell. This is what Wicksell wrote in 1898 on ‘pure credit systems’ in Interest and Prices (Geldzins und Güterpreise), 1936 (1898), p. 68f:
https://larspsyll.wordpress.com/2017/01/...ns-of-mmt/

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
31.01.2017 10:47
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Words count: 14,196
Group: Basic
Experience: 132
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: Economic cranks behind MMT?

Helsworth Wrote:
Many mainstream economists seem to think the idea behind Modern Monetary Theory is new and originates from economic cranks.
New? Cranks? How about reading one of the great founders of neoclassical economics – Knut Wicksell. This is what Wicksell wrote in 1898 on ‘pure credit systems’ in Interest and Prices (Geldzins und Güterpreise), 1936 (1898), p. 68f:
https://larspsyll.wordpress.com/2017/01/...ns-of-mmt/

BREAKING: Man cites 130 year old pre-credibility paper to defeat strawman, orthodox economists floored

I'm leaving and probably never coming back, so thanks for the interesting discussions I guess, dunno why im writing this nobody even irl gives a toss about me anyway

This post was last modified: 01.02.2017 05:58 by VineFynn.

01.02.2017 05:57
Helsworth
Heathen

LoL, what is "pre-credibility"? Wicksell had the eyes and brain to consider endogenous money. Meanwhile, more than a hundred years later, orthodox economists still believe in loanable funds, in times in which the majority of the world uses free floating fiat, and not a metal standard like during Wicksell's period (not that metalism is incompatible with endogenous money or vice-versa).

This post was last modified: 01.02.2017 12:33 by Helsworth.

01.02.2017 10:21
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Helsworth Wrote:
LoL, what is "pre-credibility"? Wicksell had the eyes and brain to consider endogenous money. Meanwhile, more than a hundred years later, orthodox economists still believe in loanable funds, in times in which the majority of the world uses free floating fiat, and not a metal standard like during Wicksell's period (not that metalism is incompatible with endogenous money or vice-versa).

"Pre-credibility" revolution- a period of change which underpins part of present-day economics as a science. For someone who hates ***ORTHODOX*** economics so much, you don't know very much about it.

I'm leaving and probably never coming back, so thanks for the interesting discussions I guess, dunno why im writing this nobody even irl gives a toss about me anyway

This post was last modified: 01.02.2017 16:40 by VineFynn.

01.02.2017 16:34
Helsworth
Heathen

VineFynn Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:

"Pre-credibility" revolution- a period of change which underpins part of present-day economics as a science. For someone who hates ***ORTHODOX*** economics so much, you don't know very much about it.

Are you referring to 'The Credibility Revolution in Empirical Economics"?
Poor excuse, bro. But kudos for another trollish comment. You're very good at it. Wink

This post was last modified: 02.02.2017 18:06 by Helsworth.

02.02.2017 17:42
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Helsworth Wrote:

VineFynn Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:

Are you referring to 'The Credibility Revolution in Empirical Economics"?
Poor excuse, bro. But kudos for another trollish comment. You're very good at it. Wink

That's a part of what I'm referring to, yes.

Uhuh, mighty fine rebuttal there. Doesn't surprise me that you don't elaborate by what you even mean by "excuse", though. Or really how pointing out significant scientific drawbacks in early economics is a "poor" one.

Yeah, if you remember I did actually give debating you seriously several tries. To no end, though, so I decided this would be both more cathartic and less effort for me. I'm sure it's the same for you.

03.02.2017 05:10
Helsworth
Heathen

What you invoked to make fun on the article is a poor choice in argument. Economists might consider updating the textbooks, since most countries are no longer on a gold standard, or fixed exchange rate.
As I recall, your "serious" debating style was to straw man Chartalism.

For what it's worth, here's the debate between the Currency School and the Banking School for a proper understanding of ednogenous money, something that mainstream theory is still at odds with.
http://www.cfeps.org/pubs/wp-pdf/WP21-Wray.pdf

03.02.2017 19:45
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Helsworth Wrote:
What you invoked to make fun on the article is a poor choice in argument. Economists might consider updating the textbooks, since most countries are no longer on a gold standard, or fixed exchange rate.

For what it's worth, here's the debate between the Currency School and the Banking School for a proper understanding of ednogenous money, something that mainstream theory is still at odds with.

Uhuh. You've said the same to me in the past and my response is the same now.

I've never heard of Chartalism and I have no interest in historical economics. This level of misunderstanding is why I said "to no end".

Thanks for the link, I'll run the source past my buds since I'm not familiar with cfeps.

Helsworth Wrote:

Uhuh. You've said the same to me in the past and my response is the same now.

Yeah, that there was enough misunderstanding that you think that is what I was saying is why I said I tried being serious "to no end".

Thanks for the link, I'll run the source past my buds since I'm not familiar with cfeps.

04.02.2017 08:11
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Economic advice Justine27 6 1,308 24.07.2018 19:36
Last Post: Richard Wilson
  Economic Blog Richard Wilson 16 3,237 05.04.2017 08:02
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  [Vox] Homer Simpson: An economic analysis Ajay Alcos 0 1,044 06.02.2017 11:57
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  Economic Concept: Free Trade yangusbeef 1 1,550 10.01.2017 02:00
Last Post: VineFynn
  The importance of Economic Rent Helsworth 0 1,009 26.11.2016 14:26
Last Post: Helsworth
  Your Own Economic System CaiusFilimon 81 9,569 09.10.2015 07:23
  How to turn litter into money, all about debt, deficits, and economic policy Helsworth 0 2,684 13.12.2014 21:18
  Loanable Funds To Endogenous Money Live (what every economic model lacks) Helsworth 0 1,308 11.03.2014 18:20
  The Green Economy and China's Economic Development Helsworth 1 1,312 27.01.2014 18:02
Last Post: TriniSary7
  Varoufakis, 10 economic myths Helsworth 0 1,341 22.01.2014 20:51

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites