Group: Basic
Experience: 171
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

sanctuary
Dionne
ygdrassil
English Thread

Hi, I am new here, but just wanted to reach out to other players whose primary language is English. I have been reading the forums, but it seems that it is mostly in German, if you primarily speak English, let me know here, thanks!

01.07.2018 20:31
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blue Wizard
Darkness-Slayer

Words count: 123,323
Experience: 5737
Glory Points: 2410
Medals: 56

South Africa
RE: English Thread

Malachi:

I too am an English speaker (and I plan on aligning with the Federation of Trade).

Cheers,

-Jay

"To furnish the means of acquiring knowledge is...the greatest benefit that can be conferred upon mankind. It prolongs life itself and enlarges the sphere of existence." - John Quincy Adams
02.07.2018 06:37
MrProper
天皇

Words count: 405,306
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 183397
Glory Points: 3427
Medals: 87

Hammerfest
Mongol Uls
Vanitas
Espana
Nil

I drop this as a side note:
Infrequently dedicated english speaking worlds are created, but they tend to take a long time to fully fill up. Consequently, there is usually a big minority of english players. I here use english players as an umbrella term for everyone who does not speak german, but of course they have many different nationalities.

While it sometimes happens that german and not english players stick together in their own alliance, the most common sight are "mixed" alliances. Most players have a concept of what they want to play (national, technocratic, mercentile, communistic, democratic, religious, ..) and therefore it makes sense to join an alliance with similar goals rather than selecting your partners by language. Unions, pacts and alliances around the (real) world have to deal with language issues as well, and this is often easier done than to overcome idiologies.

In my opinion, the language problem is quite manageable. Google translate provides ~95% accurarcy in translations between the two languages. At least the context is almost always clear, even if the actual translation fails to preserve the intended meaning.
I personally often wrote posts in two languages (at the expense of total messages output) if the demand for that was high enough, as did other players. Within an alliance, language issues are often settled somehow as well. (Even if it just that the very important informations are summarized in the second language)

富国強兵

Kein(e) Planet*In ist illegal! - Doch, Pluto schon.
04.07.2018 15:37
MrProper
天皇

Hammerfest
Mongol Uls
Vanitas
Espana
Nil

As you may have noticed, there are now three major religious groups in Riga:
A special form of Christianity (brain child of HUNDmiau and Aslan), Malachi Benito's Mithras religion and Germanic Paganism.

Today, I added an English translation for the Germanic Paganism, so that also english players may decided if they want to adopt this (or one of the other) religions.

富国強兵

This post was last modified: 11.07.2018 18:42 by MrProper.

11.07.2018 18:41
Blue Wizard
Darkness-Slayer

South Africa

Mr. Proper:

Since Briga is in a relatively remote region, Brigans are in the minority in that they are overwhelming Catholic.

Cheers,

-Jay

"To furnish the means of acquiring knowledge is...the greatest benefit that can be conferred upon mankind. It prolongs life itself and enlarges the sphere of existence." - John Quincy Adams
11.07.2018 20:52
HUNDmiau
Unicorn of Leftism

Words count: 100,368
Group: Premium
Experience: 679
Glory Points: 200
Medals: 8

Dear Mister Jay,

maybe we, the noriteranian church, could send some missoniaries to educate your population of the evils of Paulus and that so called "christian" traditions are nothing more than his brain-child (Thanks Proper for this word Big Grin) to distract us from the true christian message, love thy neighbor.

Preacher James Berkeley

This post was last modified: 12.07.2018 22:45 by HUNDmiau.

11.07.2018 23:13
Blue Wizard
Darkness-Slayer

South Africa

Reverend Berkeley:

Since my government is committed to the freedom of religion, missionaries from your Church are more than welcome to attempt to evangelize in Briga.

Your friend,

-Juan Carlos

Juan Carlos Wasmosy
President, Republic of Briga

12.07.2018 21:35
MrProper
天皇

Hammerfest
Mongol Uls
Vanitas
Espana
Nil

I will continue my dual language posts for major Svalbard related events for a while. However, since this is way more time consuming than it looks, I will base this decission and continuation on acceptance of / feedback from (only) english speaking players. Smile

富国強兵

16.07.2018 22:35
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: