Christian Humanist

Words count: 148,240
Group: Basic
Experience: 203
Glory Points: 20
Medals: 2

Exchange Rate/Currency and the Money Supply

Basically, I want to know:
How to keep a 1<C ratio between 1 and my currency. Is this accomplished by having a MS<GDP or MS>GDP or by letting MS alone? My exchange rate has been slowly moving toward the 1=C point where I am now at $1.01
Also, does Money Reform 1 increase the effectiveness of Monetary Policy since the Gov. has full control over MS?

(MS=Money Supply)
(GDP=Gross Domestic Product)
( C= currency)

Any tips or inputs will be welcome.

"I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. . . . I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD." - William Lloyd Garrison, Abolitionist
26.05.2010 13:52
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hemothep

Words count: 9,884
Experience: 367
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: Exchange Rate/Currency and the Money Supply

Money is basicly a produkt like any other else. If you have a trade deficit you will export more money then buying from foreign states and your currency will drop. If you have a trade surplus the opposite will hapen.
Now take your Inflation and economic growth into account and you get your currency rate.

Or for short: the recipy for a valueable currency

- high exports
- low imports
- high economic growth
- low inflation

This post was last modified: 26.05.2010 14:57 by Hemothep.

26.05.2010 14:55
Sheep
Admin

Words count: 691,655
Group: Admin
Experience: 5731
Glory Points: 195
Medals: 8

Cutting the money supply will lead to a higher currency. At one of my states the currency passed the 3$ line:

http://www.ars-regendi.com/state/43915/show.html

The money supply cuts can be watched here:

http://www.ars-regendi.com/jpbase.php?ty...2&id=43915

26.05.2010 15:07
Jakerp
Unregistered

beste Wrote:
Basically, I want to know:
How to keep a 1<C ratio between 1 and my currency. Is this accomplished by having a MS<GDP or MS>GDP or by letting MS alone? My exchange rate has been slowly moving toward the 1=C point where I am now at $1.01
Also, does Money Reform 1 increase the effectiveness of Monetary Policy since the Gov. has full control over MS?

(MS=Money Supply)
(GDP=Gross Domestic Product)
( C= currency)

Any tips or inputs will be welcome.

Exchange rate of your money comes from the fact that how much foreign investors trust purchasing power of your money. If your country’s central bank prints too much money trust decrease and value of your money decrease because trust decrease. If investors think money of some country is like paper that could not buy anything in real life then value collapses next to zero. This could happen if you release way too much money.

Central banks create money out of nothing money only have value becouse people think in their imagination that money have some value it makes life easier to use it for trading and only value of the economy guarantees purchasing power of money. Value of economy means everything that is produced inside country economy and value of all foreign currencies and gold reserves that are deposited inside central banks foreign currency reserves.

If foreign investors think that your money supply is too high compared value of your economy (GDP) and capital reserves then price of your money lowers and if there is a lot of GDP to backup value of the money it increases.

Value of the money decrease if central bank releases too much money compared to real growth of economy and increase if central bank release too few money compared to real growth of economy.
If you think why central banks create money out from nothing, answers is because providing money to economy makes it a lot more easier people to work and trade between each other. It not perfect system but it’s better than natural economy.

26.05.2010 18:23
Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

That's why in real life the treasury department should be responsable for the stability of the currency and not the central bank, which is a quasi private bank. But in order for money to do what it was initally created to do, we must pierce the illusion of monetarism, the idea that money is the measure of real value, and that it has no intrinsic value and neither does gold or silver. These metals should be used as a reference point for currencies, and in no legal way should speculators be allowed to influence the physical economy through currency manipulation;
On topic:
Keep a reasonable balance between your GDP and MS if you don't want big fluctuations, but also feel free to experiment Wink

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
26.05.2010 18:44
beste
Christian Humanist

Words count: 148,240
Experience: 203
Glory Points: 20
Medals: 2

I was thinking of lowering the MS to around 10% less than GDP. If money is like a product, than the supply/demand laws should cause the value(price) to increase. I high demand with a decreasing supply will raise the MS.

Also, about the Money Reform I , does it increase the effectiveness my monetary policies? I know MR 2 kills an economy, but does MR 1 give me (the Central Bank) more control over my economy.

"I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. . . . I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD." - William Lloyd Garrison, Abolitionist
27.05.2010 12:37
Jakerp
Unregistered

beste Wrote:
I was thinking of lowering the MS to around 10% less than GDP. If money is like a product, than the supply/demand laws should cause the value(price) to increase. I high demand with a decreasing supply will raise the MS.

Also, about the Money Reform I , does it increase the effectiveness my monetary policies? I know MR 2 kills an economy, but does MR 1 give me (the Central Bank) more control over my economy.

Yes I think but it also increase negative effects if you do something wrong in your monetary policy.

27.05.2010 13:08
Quote this message in a reply
vrmcardoso

Words count: 220
Experience: 12
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

I only just started playing and I dont know much about this game, but I do know a few things about macro economy.

First, it is false that central banks create money out of nowhere or nothing. They lend money to private banks by buying financial products like insurances etc. Money is only created in case a private bank asks for a loan. They control money supply by adjusting the interest rate at which they lend the currency.
Money being legal tender doesnt mean it is worthless. Your central bank has many financial actives from the private banks they lent money to. So your coin IS worth something, it just isnt redeemable.

what you should know about your exchange rate is that it has massive impact on your exports and imports. You want to import from country with cheap money. So, if your money is too expensive your exports can decrease. However, having cheap money can also be bad, because it will make your imports more expensive.
As you can see in economics things are never simple, there is always a backside to every decision and you must weigh every possible outcome... Meaning, no simple answer to "How much should my money supply be?"

27.05.2010 15:46
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Money Growth Does Not Cause Inflation! Helsworth 18 6,523 26.09.2017 02:04
Last Post: Hilder
  The Quantity Theory of Money: A Critique Helsworth 1 1,278 18.01.2017 23:24
Last Post: VineFynn
  Why Positive Money is wrong, by Mike King Helsworth 2 1,897 16.07.2016 08:33
Last Post: Helsworth
  Money & the Myth of Barter Helsworth 0 1,511 09.03.2016 18:26
  How Modern Money Theory Replies to Hyperinflation Hyperventilators Helsworth 0 2,516 11.02.2015 17:45
  How to turn litter into money, all about debt, deficits, and economic policy Helsworth 0 3,000 13.12.2014 21:18
  The Natural Rate of Interest: A Wicksellian Fable Helsworth 0 1,493 07.12.2014 16:22
  Why Central Banks Should Give Money Directly to the People Helsworth 0 1,692 05.09.2014 19:28
  A scottish currency? 5 lessons from flawed pound sterling Helsworth 12 2,093 27.08.2014 08:51
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  Money is destroyed when loans are repaid Helsworth 2 2,799 20.08.2014 20:23

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites