Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Experimental Politics

Killer300
Unregistered

Experimental Politics

Okay, this is a very special thread. I'm going to create different weird concepts here, and you guys can do what you will with them. The idea is to get ideas that are very fresh and could at least work on paper. The first is democracy with no president, just a congress and judicial system. Instead of a president, a board of experts from different fields is around to be consultated. The reason the President is excluded is because there should be no single person with lots of power, all power must be divided up. The Congress is interesting because 1/2 of it is taken randomly from the population in a system similar to jury duty. The idea is to make sure all groups are representated in politics and to bring drastically different perspectives to politics constantly. The Judicial system are always professional judges, so you can't be appointed for politics. The judges must prove their abilities before being selected for this government's version of the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court would have 9 members like the U.S. one.

28.11.2010 15:58
Quote this message in a reply
Globaltom
Alter Recke

Words count: 1,086,576
Group: Basic
Experience: 816
Glory Points: 330
Medals: 12

Suedparadies
RE: Experimental Politics

But who has the last. word.
Who decides in an 50 : 50 tie Kopfkratz

Briefwähler
28.11.2010 16:16
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Killer300
Unregistered

The Judical System that couldn't happen because of the number of Judges, the Board of Experts also always has an odd number of people, and finally, the amount of people in Congress depends on population of country or what have you that has this government. I don't think ties would occur that often.

28.11.2010 17:18
ccosta
Unregistered

Well, you leave a lot open here. I imagine a tyranny of the 51%. As far as a 50:50 tie you could solve that by making an odd number of congresspersons, thereby assuring a 51% on every vote. I would picture something like Zaire after Mobutu "abolished" one party rule and there were 200 plus "parties" just looking for a handout.

Try making a state in AR and putting every single task to a referendum, or maybe assume that 1/2 of congress is mostly composed of people who have no business in public service or any idea of constitutional limitations of federal power and pick the extreme options. Then screw up your budget and run a huge deficit. That's what I imagine would happen.

28.11.2010 17:20
Killer300
Unregistered

For one thing, just because someone isn't experienced in politics doesn't mean they can't be in it. You should know that. Doesn't mean they can't do well either. Examples include generals DEMOCRATICALLY becoming president like Eiesnhower who was one of the best Republican Presidents in the last 70 years. Besides that, the board of experts and the Court would prevent massive screw ups from lack of skill or lack of knowledge.

28.11.2010 17:27
ccosta
Unregistered

Killer300 Wrote:
For one thing, just because someone isn't experienced in politics doesn't mean they can't be in it. You should know that. Doesn't mean they can't do well either. Examples include generals DEMOCRATICALLY becoming president like Eiesnhower who was one of the best Republican Presidents in the last 70 years. Besides that, the board of experts and the Court would prevent massive screw ups from lack of skill or lack of knowledge.

You are right about the lack of experience part. You did however liken the selection of half of the congress to jury duty. That might cause problems. Jury duty is mandatory and non discriminate, anyone can be picked and aside from being disabled, illiterate in english or a convicted felon there is very little screening. True, the trial lawyers dismiss people based on physical appearances but doing that to a member of congress would be an invitation for discrimination suits. To be a member of congress you at least need a few votes. Nobody sent Christine O Donnell, Linda McMahon or Meg Whitman a summons for public office, they wanted it like hell, convinced like minded people to give their time and hard earned money, and still lost in a mostly transparent electoral process.

As far as republican presidents, the last 70 years isn't really a great timetable for the GOP. You have Reagan who seemed impotent as far as cutting spending, escalated the unconstitutional war on drugs and picked the abolition of the 22nd amendment as one of his three key issues in his farewell speech. Eisenhower was a figure of stability, and a good one at that, yet he did nothing to undo the New Deal. The rest of the republican presidents over the last 70 years are beneath contempt.

As far as the board of experts, who appoints them? Who sets the standards for judges? I'm really quite curious, I'm not trying to poke holes in your idea, I'm just not sure about the half of congress being randomly selected, and unclear about the checks and balances. Is the board of experts elected or appointed? If elected and given veto power couldn't they simply be considered multiple presidents?

28.11.2010 17:56
Killer300
Unregistered

Well, okay, I said sort of, there are differences. Rather than being able to get rid of people based on appearance, you can get rid of them based on intelligence perhaps. Even then, there would be special checks for it and the person has to be rather stupid to not get in. The purpose of it is to increase diversity in the congress and politicians in general while also keeping them close to the people. It also brings fresh ideas constantly because these people don't have all the biases from being in politics constantly.
The board of experts is based on skill and expertise. So, the best of the best would be the ones picked for that. The court would be a mix of votes and picking skillful judges. The board of experts can only have veto power if it votes unamniously or rather high majority vote in it. Yes, I understand this all may cause tryanny of the majority however the board of experts is supposed to be like a cabinent except based on skill instead of politics so that it makes better decisions.
This government, if it had a constitution of some sort, than it would follow its rules. They would add amendments through massive majority vote in both congress and the board of experts if deemed necessary.

28.11.2010 18:50
Killer300
Unregistered

Okay, for who decides the standards, it would be a mix of objective decision and perhaps referendum. Hope to hear more from ya soon, I'm just trying to get strange new concepts here.

28.11.2010 20:42
ccosta
Unregistered

I noticed you said "if" it has a constitution. That's a big if!

Seriously though maybe I was too tough on the idea when I first heard it. I think it depends on the structure and flexibility of the government, and the people running the government. If you got really great people in there with new ideas, the humility to accept some of their ideas might infringe on economic and civil liberties, and the capacity to learn quickly you might have something more efficient and popular than anybody has ever seen. You might get something very moderate as well, as lay congresspersons could act as a balance against extreme proposals of their party and a reminder to keep their promises in exchange for continued support.

By the way, can I nominate Tony Stark for expert on defense research?

28.11.2010 23:52
skyree
Super Duper Guy

Words count: 4,989
Group: Basic
Experience: 4
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

i have fascamistism a mix of Communism and fascism(without the bad social policys of fascism & nazism)

honestly i think it could work

Fascism is Capitalism in Decay-Lenin

So I saids to the guys:Hey Commie take a hike off a long pier with a short walk".-I

"I am that guy you idiot, and now im soaking wet and your in the middle of a Communist Convention"-C

"Whoa i thought this was the bar"-I

"Idiot"-C
29.11.2010 00:10
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  George Lakoff, Moral politics, how Americans frame things Helsworth 1 1,694 02.07.2017 07:03
Last Post: Akeron
  Bernard A. Lietaer on Chartalism, Nobel prize politics, economics etc Helsworth 0 1,198 16.10.2016 21:14
Last Post: Helsworth
  Getting Real Tired of U.S. Politics yangusbeef 1 1,609 24.08.2016 19:33
Last Post: Lord Alexander
  German politics, Merkel, and the CDU ReligiousRight 51 14,157 30.09.2015 13:53
  Strata of politics yangusbeef 4 1,805 30.09.2015 12:16
Last Post: VineFynn
  Is this the politics of the "Moral Majority"? StatlerNWaldorf 12 2,877 19.08.2013 22:38
Last Post: StatlerNWaldorf
  Trash Politics StatlerNWaldorf 2 1,408 09.05.2013 05:57
Last Post: StatlerNWaldorf
  The politics of symbolism and imperialism Helsworth 0 1,327 31.01.2013 11:18
  British politics GeorgeBell 6 1,943 12.05.2011 20:28
Last Post: RichardAWilson
  Jesus's politics thisisme9403 25 5,378 17.04.2011 04:39
Last Post: awil90

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites