Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Flat Income Tax

Richard Wilson
Unregistered

RE: Flat Income Tax

It's true... A certain amount of unemployment is, in fact, governmental policy - be it through the Central Bank or fiscal policy. The level which governments decide to maintain changes from time to time, but there's always a minimum level which is maintained.

Although, don't get me wrong, there are welfare leaches out there... Drug addicts that sell their kid's food stamps so they have more money to buy drugs with, people on Medicaid running to the ER to get narcotics... Doctor shopping...
As someone who has partaken in the drug scene... Mostly pills... I have encountered these people first hand

01.12.2014 22:28
Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Richard Wilson Wrote:
It's true... A certain amount of unemployment is, in fact, governmental policy - be it through the Central Bank or fiscal policy. The level which governments decide to maintain changes from time to time, but there's always a minimum level which is maintained.

Although, don't get me wrong, there are welfare leaches out there... Drug addicts that sell their kid's food stamps so they have more money to buy drugs with, people on Medicaid running to the ER to get narcotics... Doctor shopping...
As someone who has partaken in the drug scene... Mostly pills... I have encountered these people first hand

Sure, bro. It's called the NAIRU, and it's data-fudge. An employed buffer stock labor would be much better as price-anchor, would do away with all the psychological and social ills that stem for permanent and involuntary unemployment; and would keep skills from being eroded.
As for welfare leeches, that's a micro-economic problem. And it needs micro-economic solutions in order to get fixed. Still, I think corporate welfare gets more unlawful money than the meager social welfare ones.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
01.12.2014 22:44
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Richard Wilson
Unregistered

I don't know... Most corporations do pay taxes... So the subsidies are more an offset... I'd much rather have no corporate taxation and eliminate the subsidies as that'd be more efficient and conductive to sustainable growth but corporate welfare, like social welfare fraud, is one of the prices we have paid for democracy. Every country does it to varying degrees.

NAIRU is ridiculous. There are other ways to control labor costs. - incentivizing automation, investing in education / human capital, health prevention - like smoking, over eating, alcoholism, rehab, mental illness - since obesity and drug use are truly tied to mental illness... Eliminating redundant and costly regulations that do little to promote the public good, privatizing or contracting out certain services - like the Postal Service. There are other methods besides withholding demand to control labor costs... Move of them involve making labor more productive.
Plus, in an open model, I'm unsure that NAIRU even does a damn thing. In be closed economy, aggregate demand could feed wage inflation. But, in a global economy, if wages rise too much here, the markets will correct as more is outsourced abroad.

01.12.2014 22:56
Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

The unemployed buffer stock is simple. Always leave an output gap in GDP; ergo, never spend enough to satisfy the private sector's desire to net save. The only times full employment is reached via market forces alone is during periods of high enough financial leverage; and that never lasts long enough. Because the fiscal deficit always shrinks during the upward cycle - and politicians and Central Bankers are happy with that instead of working to enlarge the deficit in order to maintain the credit structure and at the same time promote price stability.
That's why (not counting the foreign factor) recessions always come on the heels of budget surpluses. Rising wages can impact inflation, but what matters is the elasticity of output. Also, private rent extraction accounts for more of the CPI than the mainstream likes to admit. That's why a land-value tax is needed.

This post was last modified: 02.12.2014 07:45 by Helsworth.

02.12.2014 07:41
Gabriel Galt
Capitalist

Words count: 320
Group: Basic
Experience: 119
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Quote:
Some politician that I support said once that comparing justice to social justice is like comparing chair to electric chair. I do agree with that. He has no chance to win election, because people want to get money for free and not to work for what they get.

That is true. By the way, you and me share a common support for him. What he says about democracy I've been saying it since 5th grade Applaus
Do you know when did he said that quote? Specifically I mean, I'd like to see the full speech

------------------------------------------------------------
"Democracy is the stupidest form of goverment ever conceived. A goverment where two bums from under the beer booth, have twice more to say than the university professor" -- Janusz Korwin-Mikke

This post was last modified: 03.12.2014 03:46 by Gabriel Galt.

03.12.2014 03:31
ivojr

Words count: 414
Experience: 3664
Glory Points: 120
Medals: 2

Quote:
“I haven’t changed my beliefs. Women still should not have the right to vote. Just choose any political meeting at random and see how many women are present.”
"1% of women have an interesting work, all the others put stamps on letters at the post office, sell things at shops, they have no intellectual interest.” But, “if they are women at home, they are the master of it.”

How to say it without being offensive? Well, he's offensive enough. It's quite sad picture of politics, of respect for women and democracy and of economic (in)sanity of significant part of nation neigbouring with mine.

19.01.2015 04:44
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

ivojr Wrote:

Quote:
“I haven’t changed my beliefs. Women still should not have the right to vote. Just choose any political meeting at random and see how many women are present.”
"1% of women have an interesting work, all the others put stamps on letters at the post office, sell things at shops, they have no intellectual interest.” But, “if they are women at home, they are the master of it.”

How to say it without being offensive? Well, he's offensive enough. It's quite sad picture of politics, of respect for women and democracy and of economic (in)sanity of significant part of nation neigbouring with mine.

Who are you quoting? Noplan

19.01.2015 11:47
ivojr

Words count: 414
Experience: 3664
Glory Points: 120
Medals: 2

Janusz Korwin-Mikke, obviously.

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Janusz_Korwin-Mikke
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janusz_Korwin-Mikke

20.01.2015 22:00
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Negative income tax Malone 9 12,864 29.11.2019 18:39
Last Post: Askatasuna
  Abolishing child benefits and Basic Income hamma13 1 1,684 08.08.2017 09:29
Last Post: Malone
  Negative Income Tax VS Flat Tax Fremen Talla 3 2,661 21.10.2015 23:36
Last Post: Fremen Talla
  Negative Income Tax Marco Trejo 56 14,490 01.08.2015 10:54
Last Post: Helsworth