Commissar
Christian

Words count: 245,807
Group: Basic
Experience: 169
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Gallup: Distrust for U.S. Media Reaches Record High

About 60% of Americans distrust the mainstream mass media according to Gallup latest poll conducted between September 6-9, 2012. The poll was conducted with the U.S. election theme. I think the negative implications are beyond U.S. partisanship. I think Americans generally distrust the media to represent the American national interests.

Consider who owns the main U.S. mass media networks such as CBS, ABC and Fox, etc.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157589/distru...yndication

"...while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Romans 5:10-11)

This post was last modified: 22.09.2012 17:32 by Commissar.

22.09.2012 16:50
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarcusAquila

Words count: 18,923
Experience: 50
Glory Points: 25
Medals: 2

RE: Gallup: Distrust for U.S. Media Reaches Record High

Interesting piece, but hardly surprising. Consider that the vast majority of the media adores Obama and then Fox leans Republican (I say lean since most of their employees actually donate to Dems).

Also, take in to consideration what is "news" today:

Amanda Brynes
Lindsay Lohan
Any sports-related topic
Any Hollywood-related topic
and the classic "save the whales/baby seals/schools/earth"

It took about 3 days for most of my family to even know of the attacks in Libya or the riots across the Islamic world because the media was so focused on the latest Hollywood scandals and the Brits royal family fiasco. Even then, it got a 10 sec mention as they moved on to the new campaign ads from Obama and Romney.

Just ask any American who is the secretary of state or the name of the chief justice of the supreme court. Or even simple questions like what is the capital of Spain, Korea, Iran.

Personally, I believe the problem is deeper than just media. It really is a cultural thing. Americans are literally being educated and trained to be just like Romans during the Empire (all bread and circuses). We need to import people to keep the economy alive and technology moving forward. We need serious reform of the education system. But that will only come when Americans take personal responsibility and say no apathy and start thinking for themselves, not letting Government say what to do.

The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone.
Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD.
William Lloyd Garrison
22.09.2012 18:12
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

I very much welcome the figure, and hope that it's not just the sentiment about how the media handles the presidential campaign. If people distrust the media, that means they're willing to research things on their own - corroborating different sources in order to control the information they are being fed, and taking from it only what they've filtered with their OWN filters.
Oh btw, just to clear some urban legends that Romney or the republicans are not "liked" by Wall-Street.

Mitt Romney
1 Goldman Sachs $688,080
2 Bank of America $541,148
3 JPMorgan Chase & Co $541,019
4 Morgan Stanley $535,047
5 Credit Suisse Group $433,785

Barack Obama
1 University of California $702,281
2 Microsoft Corp $544,445
3 Google Inc $526,009
4 Harvard University $431,860
5 US Government $396,350

PS: How the hell does Obama get funding from the government? Does the law allow political parties to be subsidized for political campaigns?

Obama - Small Indiv Contrib.
Large Indiv. Contrib. $162,976,325
$272,868,651
Individual contributions
$431,679,828
PAC contributions $0
Candidate self-financing $5,000
Federal Funds $0
Other $512,631

Romney - Small Indiv. Contrib.
Large Indiv. Contrib. $46,759,889
$213,257,046
Individual contributions
$258,261,433
PAC contributions $901,524
Candidate self-financing $52,500
Federal Funds $0
Other $20,127,544

Obama Romney
RAISED $432,197,459 $279,343,000
SPENT $345,723,446 $228,921,635
DEBTS $2,922,211 $15,000,000
CASH (ON HAND) $88,777,412 $50,434,404

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 22.09.2012 18:25 by Helsworth.

22.09.2012 18:15
Commissar
Christian

Words count: 245,807
Experience: 169

The campaign donations were not made by the entire institution, rather, by individuals and groups associated with the institution. That means professors, administrators, executives or anyone employed by the institution spent a collective sum of their own money while identified as employees of the institution. Maybe, this information gives us insight on how the statistics are tabulated.

The U.S. mainstream media definitely represents a specific class interest. The media relies on large private financial sponsorship. The media offers airtime to the biggest sponsors ranging from corporations to celebrities. Endless advertisements are run. The media's interest is to gain as much publicity as possible. The advertisement bureaus conduct surveys on how many viewers there are. The private donors then decide which media outlet to sponsor. It's the cycle of total information management. Or simply put, the speculation industry. It's pure magic.

The U.S. media has been owned by individuals with very clear foreign policy biases. Most of U.S. society relies on information from private corporations. That means bosses hire employees with very similar opinions. Foreign policy becomes more important for imperialist nations. Anyone who disagrees is fired as a business decision.

Lobbying happens all the time. Most lobbying cannot be accounted for. A person can use whatever assets they own to help another person. Of course, some competition still exists. I don't trust corporations like Time Warner, so, I do not trust CNN. But, I know CNN's game. CNN presents itself as non-partisan between NBC's democrat line and Fox's republican line. Gallup and USA today network closely with CNN and released this information to tarnish the credibility of NBC and Fox.

Between the competition among the corporate elites, I believe this truly enriched source of information can serve the public interest. This poll reveals the peak interests at election time, with the average person anticipating change. After the election, the average person slips back to apathy. They want a change that never arrives. More people are distrusting the system. Informed individuals view the routine with nostalgia. Informed people know this is one proof that democrats and republicans are false dichotomies.

"...while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Romans 5:10-11)

This post was last modified: 22.09.2012 21:39 by Commissar.

22.09.2012 21:37
Helsworth
Heathen

Commissar Wrote:
The U.S. media has been owned by individuals with very clear foreign policy biases. Most of U.S. society relies on information from private corporations. That means bosses hire employees with very similar opinions. Foreign policy becomes more important for imperialist nations. Anyone who disagrees is fired as a business decision.

This is also true for the politicians running specific agendas vis-a-vis foreign policy, an agenda that has nothing to do with real national interest. I've read what the high chief of staff, generals and other members of the top american military hierarchy said regarding Iran. They were quite clear that Iran is a sane actor on the foreign stage, that there is no lawful motivation for war or invasion. They specifically contrasted against the stance of the israeli hawks. But you see, everything is presented biased and it's not just about biased politicians and biased journalists, it's about biased office holders in national and international institutions. The IAEA's official reports clearly stated that Iran is not diverting its nuclear energy sector to make nukes. They said that there was no proof to suggest otherwise. There were, however, individuals with the IAEA that tried to throw everything in derision, hide things and exaggerate others - all to fuel the prowar propaganda machine. Netanyahu constantly said, that Israel doesn't need the approval of the US to deal with Iran. If he's such a tough ass, lets see him state that, after the US cuts all foreign aid to Israel. It's without precedent, at least in my opinion, the way this campaign against Iran's civilian nuclear program has worked. It not only made the regime less popular, via the trade sanctions - which hit in the lower and middle class, but it also increased the price of oil, which benefited OPEC. There are other nations out there, with huge loads of nukes, that are not members of the nonproliferation act, like Israel, China and Pakistan. Iran is - why on Earth would the iranian elites trigger WW3? Because of fundamentalism? That's one of the biggest crocks ever. The elites use religion and ideology to control the masses, that's all. Nobody would risk destroying the game, for the game never stops, it only changes players and sides. Furthermore, I don't care what fundamentalist leaders say about what islam is or ought to be - the principle qualities of Allah are mercy and compassion.
Notice how Dante's Divine Comedy is not a book that's banned in the Islamic world, and it does not cause protests or whatever. Dante writes in the Divine Comedy - while Mohammed wrote how hell was for non-muslims, he wrote how hell was for Mohammed.

A cask by losing centre-piece or cant
Was never shattered so, as I saw one
Rent from the chin to where one breaketh wind.

Between his legs were hanging down his entrails;
His heart was visible, and the dismal sack
That maketh excrement of what is eaten.

While I was all absorbed in seeing him,
He looked at me, and opened with his hands
His bosom, saying: "See now how I rend me;

How mutilated, see, is Mahomet;
In front of me doth Ali weeping go,
Cleft in the face from forelock unto chin;

And all the others whom thou here beholdest,
Disseminators of scandal and of schism
While living were, and therefore are cleft thus.

A devil is behind here, who doth cleave us
Thus cruelly, unto the falchion's edge
Putting again each one of all this ream,

When we have gone around the doleful road;
By reason that our wounds are closed again
Ere any one in front of him repass.

Mohammed is in hell, not because he's a non-christian/heathen, but because he fostered disunity. I have little love for the intermediary business as it were. Humans don't need intermediaries to aspire to know God. What an other man thinks about God, or that prophet or the others, it don't matter, what matters is how one chooses to live his own life. The only reason Mohammed didn't suffer the fate of Jesus or Buddha, is because he was an armed prophet. Anyways, I'm sorry for this total and epic OFF TOPIC.

This post was last modified: 22.09.2012 22:14 by Helsworth.

22.09.2012 22:13
great peace
stop being a bitch

Words count: 5,425
Group: Banned
Experience: 0

I'm not voting for either of them.

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/165653/
Third-world peoples like the U.S. are religious because they are third-world. This is why Germany is becoming less religious and Helsworth/Commissar are becoming more religious.
22.09.2012 22:18
Barbaron
Unregistered

Helsworth Wrote:
Obama Romney

What happens with the money, if money is still left after the campaign?
Or on the other side: If you make debts: how do you pay it back after the election?

22.09.2012 22:19
Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Barbaron Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:
Obama Romney

What happens with the money, if money is still left after the campaign?
Or on the other side: If you make debts: how do you pay it back after the election?

I'm wondering the same things myself.

22.09.2012 22:38
great peace
stop being a bitch

Words count: 5,425
Group: Banned
Experience: 0

They're rich, I don't think they are worried about debt. Particularly Romney.

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/165653/
Third-world peoples like the U.S. are religious because they are third-world. This is why Germany is becoming less religious and Helsworth/Commissar are becoming more religious.
22.09.2012 23:54
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Media ignoring leaked US Gov documents about Syria + Leaked audio with Kerry Helsworth 1 1,353 22.03.2017 21:55
Last Post: Sato
  Trump Muslim Ban Made Possible By Obama Admin & Media Won't Tell You Helsworth 10 2,484 31.01.2017 16:17
Last Post: Nietzsche
  Turkey Bans Media Coverage of Deadly Peace Rally Bombing Helsworth 9 2,201 10.10.2015 23:30
Last Post: Edvard Kardelj
  Anger with U.S. Government at 20-year High Commissar 30 6,947 06.04.2013 01:07
Last Post: Burz
  Silence from Mainstream Media about Israeli Violations of International Law Helsworth 0 2,190 05.03.2013 17:40
Last Post: Helsworth
  'Media Lens: The Houla Massacre' BaktoMakhno 16 2,769 18.06.2012 01:31
Last Post: BaktoMakhno
  Examples of media manipulation Helsworth 3 20,543 07.01.2012 19:04
Last Post: BaktoMakhno
  SU vs US Moral Record Killer300 20 3,862 16.07.2011 16:23
Last Post: Globaltom
  Killer300 and high-population totalitarianism Triniteras 0 1,051 23.04.2011 11:31
Last Post: Triniteras

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites