Post Reply  Post Thread 

Ground Price is Totally Undervalued in Ars-Regendi. Here's how to Fix it.

Againstyou

Words count: 1,305
Group: Basic
Experience: 65
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Samura
Kusari
Ground Price is Totally Undervalued in Ars-Regendi. Here's how to Fix it.

Any player can do the math and he or she will reach the same conclusion.
If you transform your state's total land area from km2 into m2, then multiply with the ground price per m2, the figure you get is less than 0.5% of GDP.

If any player does the Freeland reform and checks out the math, the reform works perfectly. The only problem is that the site valuation is completely off. Georgist economists say that full land value capture would bring in between 30-35% of GDP in revenue. But let's say they're too optimistic, I think pretty much anyone would agree that 20-25% of GDP would be wholly reasonable. In order to (partially) resolve this problem, the Ars-Regendi developers simply need to add two zeroes to the ground price.

03.06.2021 13:35
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Greater_Zenith
Unorthodox Transhumanist

Words count: 2,086
Experience: 530
Glory Points: 140
Medals: 4

Asclepius
Satyrikon
RE: Ground Price is Totally Undervalued in Ars-Regendi. Here's how to Fix it.

While this is not the only reform that is really underwhelming in implementation and outcome (Basic Income also suffers massively from this), it is pretty jarring that one of the hardest reforms to achieve gives off almost no reward.

03.06.2021 20:26
Againstyou

Words count: 1,305
Experience: 65

Samura
Kusari

Greater_Zenith Wrote:
(...) this is not the only reform that is really underwhelming in (...) outcome

Free Land works perfectly. It calculates the entire state's land area x the ground price, and puts it in PE Others. The problem is the ground price, it's set at a very low, completely unrealistic threshold.

As for Basic Income, even if a regent prepares for it budget-wise, the effects are net negative. As I recall, there's no benefit in doing the Basic Income reforms; getting it via task option route is the best way.

I'm sure the Devs have their own priorities regarding the game's direction. I just thought to bring the ground underpricing issue to attention, because I see it as an easy problem to fix or at least improve.

03.06.2021 21:46
Greater_Zenith
Unorthodox Transhumanist

Asclepius
Satyrikon

Yes, of course. But I was only giving strength to the idea that some reforms should be revisited, including Free Land. Wink

03.06.2021 23:24
Gagamehl

Words count: 0
Group: Premium
Experience: 10

Bologna
Freelove

I personally have troubles understanding ground prices in the game. I mean, you never have the same ground prices everywhere in an area. And laws in this regard differ very much around the world. If you check google, you pay 200.000€ per m² in cannes (France). Travel into the mountains, and you will most possible find areas, where living is kinda impossible, and you will get the squaremeter for kinda nothing.
If you have any idea, how laws for flats/houses/ground differ around the world, you will begin to doubt this whole system as well. For example, in a lot of south american areas you kinda lose your house, if you stay too long away from it. Some other guy will just move in and declare it as his from now on. There were reports about how this systems worked in a lot of northern african areas: you needed good connections to the leaders and they would provide you with some flat/house. Money was secondary. I read an report back from this time: it was forbidden to use locks for your flat. One person always had to stay at home, because otherwise it could happen, that the flat you lived in was occupied by others, when you returned from shopping or something like this. You could buy a lock illegally, but then had to bribe the police from time to time, so that you could still keep this lock. But this lock of course made it possible, to go away without losing the whole flat. Its the same in a lot of places around the world: you can get a place to live in via all kinds of ways. Often you do not need money for it.
In somalia, as being a country in constant civil war, there was an report of people, which just went into an house, shot the inhabitants and then it was theirs. No money needed. As long as you can defend the house, as long it is yours.

To make it short: i just doubt this whole "ground price" system in general.

08.06.2021 22:25
Greater_Zenith
Unorthodox Transhumanist

Asclepius
Satyrikon

As a Latin American, I can tell you the bit about South America is wrong. What happens is that squatters get different treatment depending on things like government in charge and legal system, but overall squatting is not looked as a good or necessary thing. It is different in villas (ghettos) in my country because there is no law in them most buildings are set up on empty land, but squatting in a place with residents is frowned upon by society.

This post was last modified: 08.06.2021 23:27 by Greater_Zenith.

08.06.2021 23:21
Malone
Admin

Words count: 911,921
Group: Admin
Experience: 838
Glory Points: 125
Medals: 8

Greater_Zenith Wrote:
While this is not the only reform that is really underwhelming in implementation and outcome (Basic Income also suffers massively from this), it is pretty jarring that one of the hardest reforms to achieve gives off almost no reward.

Well, hard to achieve does definitely not mean that it is automatically good. Maybe even the opposite.

Politischer Test Test site from Ars Regendi for the evaluation and comparison of political alignments

Kein(e) Planet*In ist illegal!

Autor der Blüte des Zweifels
Yesterday 20:15
Greater_Zenith
Unorthodox Transhumanist

Asclepius
Satyrikon

Malone Wrote:

Greater_Zenith Wrote:

Well, hard to achieve does definitely not mean that it is automatically good. Maybe even the opposite.

Of course. But the problem of these reforms is not that the results are not immediate or calculated incorrectly - it is that practical benefits are not present at all.

Yesterday 22:26
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Out of control interest rates in ars regendi nachoz01 5 2,436 04.11.2012 04:28
Last Post: Titian

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites