How do you lower unemployment?

pp789

Words count: 12,198
Group: Basic
Experience: 16
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

How do you lower unemployment?

I'm pretty sure that no matter what I do I'll loose control of Southslavia.
(I guess Yugoslavia couldn't survive no matter what)
But I have reason to believe that the biggest problem with it wasn't debt, or yeah it was debt as well, but unemployment. Now maybe debt and unemployment are connected somehow. But how do you reduce unemployment once it happens and you already lost both popularity and influence.
As I said, there might be a connection between debt and unemployment, but I think the high rate of unemployment in Soutslavia came from the fact I made Acquisition taxes high and didn't change them for a while. I did this in hope to make people more equal, but I guess what really happened was that less and less people got employed.
This and the debt I got from deciding to develop cure for malaria (I decided for it, because Yugoslavia as a leader of the third world would develop something that would benefit third world the most and thus solidify its status as a leader) made my influence and popularity plummet so hard even if I would remember earlier to reduce my Acquisition tax earlier I think I would still have a very limited range up to 8% at most to reduce it. So no matter what, I'm pretty sure I was already in a "downward spiral" towards losing Southslavia...

So for the future I wonder, what could I do differently to keep this state? I mean other than not raising acquisition tax and developing cure for malaria to begin with.

[People] change their rulers and the public measures are changed, but it's only a change of one scheme of emolument to the rulers, for another.
-John Francis Mercer, 14.8.1787 at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.
06.11.2013 13:44
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

RE: How do you lower unemployment?

In real life, private debt impacts aggregate demand - which in turn impacts sales and may cause unemployment.
In Ars-Regendi, however, public debt isn't connected with the unemployment rate.
Southslavia is a GDR template state. This template states must be ruled carefully, because in AR, once debt to GDP ratio reaches 300%, the population is already hating you a lot. My advice for you, would be to delete the state and start over. Keep in mind that the GDR economy is very dependent on government subsidies. And you need to change the budget EVERY winter and to reduce the nominal interest as much as you can. The key with the GDR is to keep the deficit in check, while you're growing the economy. You can't really rely on reducing fiscal drag to promote growth at first. You have to be patient, and hope that seminal economic tasks pop out at the beginning. It's easier to save action points, do reform propaganda and implement liberalism; but if you want to take the statist approach, it's a lot more difficult.
PS: Don't even think of starting projects with the GDR, until you've got the deficit under control.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 06.11.2013 14:24 by Helsworth.

06.11.2013 14:23
Lyu
Posting Freak

Words count: 61,649
Group: Premium
Experience: 5135
Glory Points: 1335
Medals: 49

Yes.. unfortunately, projects are risky for smaller countries. Not only because of the direct costs, but also because of the backlash that happens once the project is done (seems like everyone who worked on the project gets fired instantly). This is especially bad for said small countries because their GDP is low, but project costs are the same for every template, and thus use up a higher percentage of the GDP.

However, in your case there is another more important factor: Welfare. In Ars Regendi, unemployment is strongly influenced by welfare levels. Yours is already higher than average in absolute numbers (530 vs 499), and even more in relation to Living costs (your welfare is at 124% of living costs, average is 98%). Due to this, your people become lazy Pfeif

Also, yes, the GDR is the most difficult template.

This post was last modified: 06.11.2013 14:31 by Lyu.

06.11.2013 14:30
pp789

Words count: 12,198
Group: Basic
Experience: 16
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Thanks for the answers. I think what I'll do is leave Southslavia to run it course, even if that means I'll lose it next quarter. Then I probably won't start a new GDR template state until I get "better" in this game.
I pretty much started it just because being a basic player and thus having one tick state made me kind of bored and I wished to have additional state to rule over so I have more to do.
I might try UK next (hopefully it will work out better than GDR did).
This experience with GDR makes me wonder if success of my USA state is actually due to my good governing of it or is pure luck.

[People] change their rulers and the public measures are changed, but it's only a change of one scheme of emolument to the rulers, for another.
-John Francis Mercer, 14.8.1787 at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.
06.11.2013 14:55
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

In my experience, it is great to have 'failed' states in your dashboard - so that you can go back and learn from your mistakes and achievements. Daumenhoch

06.11.2013 15:12
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Unexpected Drop In Unemployment Shenat 4 257 20.04.2019 13:49
Last Post: Alexei B.Miller
  Unemployment/Postcommie Alexei B.Miller 4 743 20.09.2017 17:51
Last Post: Alexei B.Miller
  Unemployment, Excise Taxes and Money Supply Razick 5 1,755 30.06.2017 13:49
Last Post: JulijsCezars
  How to reduce my unemployment? royam5986 2 653 29.06.2017 04:58
Last Post: Akeron
  Unemployment and growth yangusbeef 2 794 07.11.2016 14:14
Last Post: yangusbeef
  High Unemployment Rate in Resource Powers Blue Wizard 2 908 19.07.2015 02:38
Last Post: Blue Wizard
  Fighting Surpluses: Lower Tax vs. Increase PE Dr. BlackSwan 2 984 26.02.2015 07:22
Last Post: Helsworth
  Unemployment and the Russian template Ajay Alcos 2 754 10.09.2014 15:36
  I really need advice on how to lower my national debt! Jacque 5 1,138 14.07.2013 00:34
Last Post: CAR12345
  Why did my tax rates lower? shadow114 1 753 08.09.2012 09:12

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites