Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Hudson on Henry George, taxing unearned income, productivity, history etc

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 23.11.2016 14:21 by Helsworth.

23.11.2016 14:10
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Words count: 14,196
Group: Basic
Experience: 132
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: Hudson on Henry George, taxing unearned income, productivity, history etc

Helsworth Wrote:

The only "unearned" income I can think of is inheritance. Which absolutely should be taxed.

I'm leaving and probably never coming back, so thanks for the interesting discussions I guess, dunno why im writing this nobody even irl gives a toss about me anyway
05.12.2016 06:26
yangusbeef
Unregistered

VineFynn Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:

The only "unearned" income I can think of is inheritance. Which absolutely should be taxed.

I strongly disagree, and rather a high inheritance tax destroys incentive, instead of creating it. This is because of one simple reason: why should a man work to better the future life of his children if the robber baron called the government is just going to take it away. A high inheritance tax would destroy the American society, because rather than the save the money, Americans would spend it in various decadents. Property would be seized. Educational funds confiscated. Savings and equities squandered. In a free society, there is no inheritance tax, on anybody, regardless of the jealousies of the snobbish intellectual bureaucrats, who rob the top workers and wealth creators, investors and business owners, of their well deserved earnings. Anyone who advocates such drivel as the inheritance tax is being played as useful idiots, played so that the robber barons called the government bureaucrats can steal the wealth of the top businessmen to the benefit of their consolidation of power and apparent annulment of freedoms.

05.12.2016 15:56
Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

https://www.prosper.org.au/georgist-glossary/

Rent Seeking
The process of wealth accrual without any productive output. This results from lobbying for monopoly powers via insider contacts. Rent seeking results in poor resource allocation, lower economic output, lower government revenues, increased inequality, higher cost-of-business and national decline. Adam Smith called rent seekers ‘the public enemy’.

Unearned Income
The ability to earn income above the margin of production. Investments in real estate are most pertinent, with the supply of land provided as a gift of nature. The cost of production is zero. As houses depreciate and purchasers compete for ‘location, location’, land price increases have been deemed unearned incomes since the Classical Economics era.

Property Rights
Private property is sacrosanct. However a clear distinction must be made between that which is man made and that which was a gift to all living beings. Georgists believe land should be leased to the state in recognition that no human produced the land, the earth. The improvements (the house) are to be privately owned. Both the lease and improvements can be sold at auction.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 05.12.2016 17:25 by Helsworth.

05.12.2016 17:20
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Words count: 14,196
Group: Basic
Experience: 132
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

yangusbeef Wrote:

VineFynn Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:

I strongly disagree, and rather a high inheritance tax destroys incentive, instead of creating it. This is because of one simple reason: why should a man work to better the future life of his children if the robber baron called the government is just going to take it away. A high inheritance tax would destroy the American society, because rather than the save the money, Americans would spend it in various decadents. Property would be seized. Educational funds confiscated. Savings and equities squandered. In a free society, there is no inheritance tax, on anybody, regardless of the jealousies of the snobbish intellectual bureaucrats, who rob the top workers and wealth creators, investors and business owners, of their well deserved earnings. Anyone who advocates such drivel as the inheritance tax is being played as useful idiots, played so that the robber barons called the government bureaucrats can steal the wealth of the top businessmen to the benefit of their consolidation of power and apparent annulment of freedoms.

Should just note that I don't live in America.

My first and last interest with social policy is equality of opportunity, not the virtues of various parties. A good friend of mine has a similar opinion to you- an intelligent guy, but fundamentally this is the only time I actually advocate for any sort of social engineering whatsoever. Inheritance is the epitomy of unearned income- the last vestiges of an aristocratic, classist society which I personally would like to see gone. To me, a small lost incentive is acceptable.

Someone's life should not, in my opinion, be bettered by the luck of good parents. Every person in society should be able to say- I earned my status. We constantly hear people on the far-left complain about privilege, class and neo-feudalism. Getting rid of inheritance renders those arguments hollow. Until then, they have some merit.

I do not consider the wishes of the dead relevant to the living. Inheritance isn't a freedom, it's a privilege. Again, really is my opinion.

Inheritance taxes aren't a hill I'd die on, but they are definitely something I support. But social engineering is really low on my list of priorities- many things come before it.

I won't engage further here, though, we're both making appeals to emotion and axioms, and we're not going to be convinced by one another.

Helsworth Wrote:
https://www.prosper.org.au/georgist-glossary/

Rent Seeking
The process of wealth accrual without any productive output. This results from lobbying for monopoly powers via insider contacts. Rent seeking results in poor resource allocation, lower economic output, lower government revenues, increased inequality, higher cost-of-business and national decline. Adam Smith called rent seekers ‘the public enemy’.

Unearned Income
The ability to earn income above the margin of production. Investments in real estate are most pertinent, with the supply of land provided as a gift of nature. The cost of production is zero. As houses depreciate and purchasers compete for ‘location, location’, land price increases have been deemed unearned incomes since the Classical Economics era.

Property Rights
Private property is sacrosanct. However a clear distinction must be made between that which is man made and that which was a gift to all living beings. Georgists believe land should be leased to the state in recognition that no human produced the land, the earth. The improvements (the house) are to be privately owned. Both the lease and improvements can be sold at auction.

So, pigovian taxes, stronger competition laws? I can get behind that- don't think it'd be very easy to actually *tax* economic profit, though.

I'm leaving and probably never coming back, so thanks for the interesting discussions I guess, dunno why im writing this nobody even irl gives a toss about me anyway

This post was last modified: 06.12.2016 23:46 by VineFynn.

06.12.2016 23:43
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  J is for Junk economics. Michael Hudson. Free market = Freedom from rent seekers Helsworth 1 1,219 22.11.2016 17:35
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Is a Negative Income Tax viable? Metalsie 3 1,469 25.02.2016 07:32
Last Post: Richard Wilson
  Basic Income Ajay Alcos 5 1,438 17.01.2016 04:48
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  Visualisation of global average income between 1820-'70s-2000 Helsworth 5 1,806 09.07.2015 00:00
Last Post: Lord Alexander
  Income and wealth inequality are near their highest levels in the past hundred years Helsworth 21 2,757 04.12.2014 15:10
Last Post: Helsworth
  Delivering the benefits that Basic Income only promises Helsworth 43 5,858 20.02.2014 19:10
Last Post: Yan Liang3
  Michael Hudson on Modern Monetary Theory, describing Paul Krugman for what he is Helsworth 2 2,057 05.07.2013 16:04
  Productivity, unemployment and the Rule of Eight, Alan Taylor Harvey Helsworth 0 1,356 25.03.2013 17:24
  Max Keiser: fictitious capital with Michael Hudson Helsworth 0 1,166 11.02.2013 11:32
  Yanis Varoufakis Town Hall Seattle - November 20, 2012 Savings Crisis, History Helsworth 0 1,374 26.12.2012 18:25

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites