Long-term socio-economic benefits through the use of genetically modified crops

Titian
Benevolently Watching You

Words count: 557,754
Group: Basic
Experience: 1706
Glory Points: 1364680
Medals: 5643

At  Long-term socio-economic benefits through the use of genetically modified crops

(I am sure that Helsworth will welcome this topic Zwinker2)

I just came across this paper (Economic impacts and impact dynamics of Bt (Bacillus
thuringiensis) cotton in India - byJonas Kathage and Matin Qaim (2012); PNAS)

The paper is about a study on the economic impacts of BT Cotton (i.e. a genetically modified cotton crop with higher pest resistence) in India. The authors concluded that the annual profits of smallholder farmers, which account for the majority of cotton production in India, increased by 50% (output increased by approx. 25%, however, input costs relative to non-modified cotton decreased at the same time) between 2002 and 2008 through the use of such genetically modified crops.

This contrasts the public perception that genetically engineered crops would lead to increased degrees of poverty amongst farmers in lower-developed countries and other socio-economic problems. Any environmental impacts of using genetically modified (GM) crops other than the decline of certain pests in areas with high use rates of such crops, are not covered in the paper.

As the study seems to be the only long-term study on the economic impacts of the controversial GM-Crops it is a rather great opportunity for discussion, isn't it?

"If you grab them by their balls, their hearts and minds will follow." (Yes, Minister)

This post was last modified: 04.09.2012 00:27 by Titian.

04.09.2012 00:06
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barbaron
Unregistered

RE: Long-term socio-economic benefits through the use of genetically modified crops

Titian Wrote:
(I am sure that Helsworth will welcome this topic Zwinker2)

I just came across this paper (Economic impacts and impact dynamics of Bt (Bacillus
thuringiensis) cotton in India - byJonas Kathage and Matin Qaim (2012); PNAS)

The paper is about a study on the economic impacts of BT Cotton (i.e. a genetically modified cotton crop with higher pest resistence) in India. The authors concluded that the annual profits of smallholder farmers, which account for the majority of cotton production in India, increased by 50% (output increased by approx. 25%, however, input costs relative to non-modified cotton decreased at the same time) between 2002 and 2008 through the use of such genetically modified crops.

This contrasts the public perception that genetically engineered crops would lead to increased degrees of poverty amongst farmers in lower-developed countries and other socio-economic problems. Any environmental impacts of using genetically modified (GM) crops other than the decline of certain pests in areas with high use rates of such crops, are not covered in the paper.

As the study seems to be the only long-term study on the economic impacts of the controversial GM-Crops it is a rather great opportunity for discussion, isn't it?

Strange: was it the movie "we feed the world", where they showed, how genetically modified crops destroyed the ground, where this kind of crops were planted? I can only remember this scene from a village in india, where angry farmers complained about, what this kind of crop has done to their fields.
- Monsanto, yes, this was the name of the company who is one of the biggest producer of gmc. -

I always asked myself, why farmers use this kind of crops, if it really destroyed their fields. I mean, yes, the companys are retarded, often using genetic modified knowledge, without testing, what damage is done to the surrounding area by using it. Not only destroying the environment, but destroying their own company, because at the end the reputation is so damaged, everybody hates them and they are so often sued, that no winning is left.
But who is then using it? Retarded farmers, too, using crops, which destroying their fields. So i asked myself, what is true? Why should a farmer destroys himself, if this stuff is really so dangerous?

There was one argument in one book about this topic, where the author said, that farmers use this kind of crop, because it is cheaper and monsanto is a kind of only delieferer of crops, so they have no choice. I don´t think so. There are some smaller companys, who offers non-genetically-engeneerd stuff, they can ask them.
Another argument was, that monsanto is forcing farmers, to use it, by threatening them, or makes contracts, where at the end the farmer cannot get out any more.
I cannot imagine this. A company using mafia-methods, to increase their sellings?
I don´t know actually, what i should believe there.

04.09.2012 02:52
Quote this message in a reply
Titian
Benevolently Watching You

Words count: 557,754
Group: Basic
Experience: 1706
Glory Points: 1364680
Medals: 5643

RE: Long-term socio-economic benefits through the use of genetically modified crops

I do recommend that you read the study. There still IS potential for data manipulation and biased analysis, but I think that the numbers speak for themselves (you can still read the researchers' interpretation if they don't).

Cotton output went up and input costs fell (at least in short-term)due to reduced pesticide use. 2006-2008 it appears that the same amount of pesticides were used on conventional and Bt fields but the bt yield was substantially higher.

The seeds were not produced by Monsanto but by a number of Indian firms of which at least some used technology licensed from Monsanto. It is stated that the Indian government gave greenlight for more and more products of this kind since 2002 so that by now there are about 800 different choices available to the Indian farmer which obviously put a downward pressure on market prices (and in fact seed expenditure has decreased from 1.6 - 0.91)

Please keep in mind that we are talking cotton and not food here, even though there appear to be many bt crops. Any damage to the land in use has not been brought up in this study, but any such damage would inevitably lead to a smaller cotton yield over time and such cannot be seen in the data.

Also note that this appears to be the only one of its kind as such 'long?'-term economic effects have not yet been studied. The researchers themselves state that so far focus has always been on the early but not the extented periods after the introduction of gm crops. Furthermore 'We feed the world' has also been biased and was produced long before these results have been published. I can remember watching this film and believe me - I am living a far less immoral life-style than most of the other idio... ahem i mean than my fellow brothers and sisters all around the world.

As long as this study holds a high degree of reliability and validity we have to assume that empirically there are benefits to be gained for non-agritech actors through gm crops.

"If you grab them by their balls, their hearts and minds will follow." (Yes, Minister)

This post was last modified: 04.09.2012 08:58 by Titian.

04.09.2012 08:28
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Thank you for the link, Titian. I will add it on my "to do list" for later this day. I'm a strong advocate of GM foods, especially hybridization (taking the benefits of plants x and y and transplanting them into plant z and so forth). Patents are what screw over the small autochthonous farmers, alongside the lack of infrastructure between the farms and marketplace, the lack of subsidies, the lack of irrigation systems, modern agriculture-tools and fertilizers. The nitrogen cycle of the land must be taken care off, that means alternating the crops with nursery plants, and other means. Of course, this means intelligent government intervention.
Regardless of corporate greed, genetically modified food must continue to be researched and experimented. Fetuses are genetically altered in case of illnesses, and the human that grows out of that develops like any ordinary human which didn't suffer that kind of medical intervention.

PS: It's a lot better to include the quality of the natural pesticide of nature i.e. lavender, in necessary crops such as wheat and corn and other plants. Why use artificial pesticides, when you can use GM wheat and corn, that protects itself via the properties of lavender?

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 04.09.2012 08:47 by Helsworth.

04.09.2012 08:46
great peace
stop being a bitch

Words count: 5,425
Group: Banned
Experience: 0
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

You don't eat cotton.

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/165653/
Third-world peoples like the U.S. are religious because they are third-world. This is why Germany is becoming less religious and Helsworth/Commissar are becoming more religious.
20.09.2012 00:13
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Benefits of Subsidies - Game & Reality JambalayaSam 0 1,015 07.02.2019 00:26
Last Post: JambalayaSam
  Economic advice Justine27 6 1,923 24.07.2018 19:36
Last Post: Richard Wilson
  Economic Blog Richard Wilson 16 4,254 05.04.2017 08:02
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  [Vox] Homer Simpson: An economic analysis Ajay Alcos 0 1,440 06.02.2017 11:57
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  Economic cranks behind MMT? Helsworth 7 2,054 04.02.2017 08:11
Last Post: VineFynn
  Economic Concept: Free Trade yangusbeef 1 1,971 10.01.2017 02:00
Last Post: VineFynn
  The importance of Economic Rent Helsworth 0 1,379 26.11.2016 14:26
Last Post: Helsworth
  Tax Cut or Spending Increase for Short Term Improvements Metalsie 8 2,264 24.02.2016 18:14
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Your Own Economic System CaiusFilimon 81 12,516 09.10.2015 07:23
  How to turn litter into money, all about debt, deficits, and economic policy Helsworth 0 3,118 13.12.2014 21:18

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites