Multiple Game Related Questions

CaiusFilimon

Words count: 26,230
Group: Basic
Experience: 50
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Multiple Game Related Questions

Before I go ahead and buy another tickless state, I want to be sure I can stay in power at least until 2030, and so I would like to ask a few questions about the game (USA):

1) How risky are the secret files? I always tried avoiding using them as I was scared they would increase the number of extremists and possibly get me assassinated/deposed. When and which should I use the different secret actions?

2) In my last tickless nation, I invested huge amounts in Education and Hospitals. (At least three times the budget for these two things than the average USA nation) Environment had twice the budget. For some reason, the lifespan was 5 years lower than the other states' and the health score was no more than 10% higher. Also, in education there weren't any real differences either: Automation was about 15% more, and general knowledge about 10% more at most...
There are simply no real differences concerning these things, no matter how much I invest in them.

3) Events: Do they even affect the game in any other way than regent approval/popularity and budget allocation or immigration? Or do they actually influence something more?
Do events that crush the rights of employees such as no minimum wages or government subsidized cartels actually harm the GDP or improve it? Example: Force corporations to use their new discoveries within two years. 2nd Example: Force corporations to not produce goods that after the warranty get flabby and stop working.

4) Budget expenditure: I've noticed GDP cannot really increase as long as u decrease public spending but generously reduce taxes. Is that true, or was it an isolated case?

5) Demographics: Does it help with the GDP if I, for example, have many well educated (the average US education level) cheap possible employees? If the population growth is huge (I had almost 400million people while the other USAs had 300million) does it help boost domestic demand and thus the GDP? (Note: I am asking about GDP not GDP per capita)

6) Egalitarian Transhumanism: I don't see any benefits from this reform. Could you please enlighten me as to what it actually does? Does not seem to improve the moods of people (and actually gives birth to more extremists) or to boost health.

7) Is it even possible to have 70% approval rate if you are trying to turn the US into an exporting country with no real civil rights, with the government desperately trying to have a huge GDP by destroying the minimum wages, boosting exports etc?

8) Is International Reputation really a big deal? Does it affect the level of exports or of economic growth? In events I usually choose the courses of action that improve the economy but destroy international relations. Or are they just for action points?

9) If the regent dies of old age in an absolute/representative monarchy, is there a message that at least tells you your son/daughter/whoever is continuing your now royal family?

10) Is it worth enabling protectionism even if the domestic labor is terribly cheap and still well educated? Or would it simply lead to higher prices? Can higher tariffs lead to increasing living costs(higher prices)?

11) Can there be overspending on certain things in this game? Meaning if I overspend on health/education the effects are only 10% better than when spending half that amount?

12) Subsidies: Do they actually improve or destroy your country's ability to export? I read somewhere that foreign countries would establish tariffs if I over subsidize my industries.

This post was last modified: 31.01.2014 15:04 by CaiusFilimon.

31.01.2014 14:56
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lyu
Posting Freak

Words count: 58,058
Group: Premium
Experience: 4421
Glory Points: 1335
Medals: 49

RE: Multiple Game Related Questions

So many questions. Pfeif

1) I always use all of them and I haven't encountered a visible downside yet. Maybe a small increase in popularity.. but nothing serious.

2) Tasks and reforms have a greater influence on the indices than mere money-throwing, which often gets less efficient the more you throw (e.g. increasing pensions from their initial level gives a nice boost in popularity, but after they exceed 200-300% of costs of living, popularity doesn't change that much anymore) .

3) Do you mean events (which appear randomly, like floods) or your yearly task decisions? It sounds more like the latter. If yes, they can potentially change every value of your state, though most obviously concentrate on some small area, plus often some small change of GDP. Both tasks you mentioned should change GDP, too. Reforms are like tasks with generally more visible effects.

4) There are many factors Tongue
Tax reduction is usually positive for the GDP, budget cuts are usually negative. But here are many tasks/reforms that work differently (e.g. Privatized Healthcare drastically decreases PE-health, but does not harm the GDP as you would expect).

5) Yes, it does, but it also increases late-game unemployment (the higher your automation value gets, the harder it is to provide work for everyone). GDP per capita is way more important than absolute GDP.

6) Transhumanism increaes health, education, and some other values. It's usually not so visible because the reform is usually implemented at a point where the state is already super-stable and hard to change at its roots (task options have a persisting influence, which adds up after 100+ tasks). This also happens with other 7+-influence reforms.

7) A lot is possible in theory, but of course you're making things more difficult by actively working against civil rights Wink

8) "International Reputation" from the details tab influences exports. "Int. Reputation" from the regent tab is only important for influence. However, both of them correlate heavily because tasks that change one almost always also change the other in the same way. Do you really need them? No. They have positive effects, but sometimes a better trade-off can be made. Depends on the task.

9) Unfortunately, nope Sad

10) I don't have much experience with this reform, the game normally favors smaller tariffs.

11) Yes, see 2)

12) To my knowledge, increasing subsidies via budget change has a negative long-term effect, increasing them via tasks doesn't. I don't know about its exact influence on exports though.

31.01.2014 16:33
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

If you're the USA template state, had picked competitive task options regarding exports, and have a low fiscal pressure - the protectionism reform is going to decrease imports, but increase exports a little at the same time. Naturally, because of this, GDP will grow dramatically; because in the formula, imports are a negative:
C+G+I+X-M=GDP

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 31.01.2014 16:44 by Helsworth.

31.01.2014 16:37
CaiusFilimon

Thank you very much for the answers Big Grin
http://www.ars-regendi.com/state/162105/haushalt.html
For example, in my last state, education had always been really well funded. Standard of knowledge is much below other countries. Is that really only because of immigrants? Also, healthcare had three times as much in money allocated to it than other states until I enacted private healthcare. Before I enacted that, lifespan was 70 instead of the average 75... why?

This post was last modified: 31.01.2014 16:44 by CaiusFilimon.

31.01.2014 16:41
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Lifespan takes into consideration health care index, environment index, working hours, free time, quality of infrastructure, transhumanist reforms, pensions etc.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 31.01.2014 16:44 by Helsworth.

31.01.2014 16:44
CaiusFilimon

In that case the transhumanist reform is useless I take it? Is it more useful if I try to attain it earlier in the game?

31.01.2014 16:46
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

CaiusFilimon Wrote:
In that case the transhumanist reform is useless I take it? Is it more useful if I try to attain it earlier in the game?

Transhumanism per se legalizes cybernetic and genetic means of improving the human condition - however it simply removes all limits on the field, thus if you are poor you are not likely to benefit much from it. At least not at the start.

Egalitarian Transhumanism is similar but it also allows for monitoring of the research in question, so that you do not end up with a "Rich supermen-cyborg hybrids/Machine-men proletariat" kind of situation. Generally the effects take a longer to take effect, and are less noticeable since most people have gradual access to the technology.

31.01.2014 17:33
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Budget Questions Nasra Rayah 4 1,029 03.07.2017 12:40
Last Post: MrProper
  Few General Questions Spectre48 4 630 29.08.2016 15:25
Last Post: yangusbeef
  How to find / search other nations in the game? Atlanthean 1 392 19.01.2016 23:31
Last Post: Helsworth
  Questions about taxation and other things yangusbeef 3 1,002 08.01.2016 11:03
  FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions Sheep 14 38,831 30.08.2015 17:39
Last Post: Blue Wizard
  Noob Questions POTUSS 351 164,565 28.08.2015 18:37
Last Post: Ardar
  Questions about quarter changes(or is it daily?) dragonflare88 3 795 05.08.2015 00:33
  what happen today? The game doesn't turn in the new quarter. Plop 2 624 08.03.2014 03:44
Last Post: Sheep
  Questions... LaughyCloud 1 902 01.03.2014 10:04
Cool National debt:game chad7405 9 848 13.12.2013 10:16

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites