Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

My attempt at a "new players' guide"

DRLHyper
Unregistered

My attempt at a "new players' guide"

Hello,

I remember back then when I joined ARS Regendi and had some trouble with my state's management, and probably if it were not for the community (and Helsworth) I would probably be still confused as to "what does what".

Originally I though of adding this to the Wiki, but Wikia screwed up with their newer version and stuff... So I am posting it here, in the hopes that new players find it helpful in some way.

Welcome Page, Dashboard
Whenever you log in you will be taken here. It explains itself, so I will go instead to the large, green, "CREATE A NEW STATE" link you should see on the bottom of the welcome information.

At the bottom of the page itself, you can also set various options, create a world (if you have enought coins), and see your refferer link (you can give this link to people you know).

State Creation
Before you take the reings of power you will have to make some choices that will help the game's engine into creating your state.

Classic or World?
First you will need to think if you want a "world" state or a "classic" state. World states are played in World and can be affected by the various situations in these worlds. War, boycotts, trade, etc. In a world, your state can be conquered and likewise you can conquer others's states. Be warned however, that most worlds enjoy some form of diplomacy or another through their forum (you should see new posts pertaining to your world in your Dashboard), and thus if you attack a nation for no reason, you might soon find yourself overwhelmed with attacks or boycotts from the international community.
Classic states have no such issues, and thus are the recommended option for new players. In a classic state, you can attack no-one and no-one can attack you. Thus you have more freedom to run your state, for examply by being able to minimize military spending.

State Template
In addition to making your state's various custom fields (name, religion, capital, national animal, currency, etc...) you will have to choose a 'state template'. This affects your nation's starting statistics, and some templates are harder than others. I will explain briefly each template below. Notice that the first name is the one you must choose if you play a world state, while if you play a classic state you choose the later alternative (also world states have 'trade goods' listed).

Superpower or USA
This represents a major power with a developed economy, infraestructure and services. While you have a deficit, you can cut the military spending to help curb it. It is not a too hard template to try, specially in classic mode.

Produces Services and Investment goods for trade.

Industrial Power or Germany
This represents a developed economy, but without the international prestige or military power of a Superpower. It should not be too hard either. Compared to real life, think of a "first world country".

Produces Services and Investment goods for trade.

Industrial Country or Turkey
This template represents a state with a semi-developed economy, but which issues prevent it from fully developing itself. It should still not be too difficult to play it. In real life it should be a "second world" country.

Produces Finished Goods and Luxury goods for trade.

Emerging country or India
Think of real life Brazil or India itself. It represents a developing world country with the capacity to push ahead. It has potential, but it also has issues such as poverty. It is still a good template to start.

Produces Finished goods and Semi-Finished goods.

Resource Power or Russia
Represents a nation which power resides in it's resource exports, hence the title. Think of Venezuela or Russia itself in real life. Economically you have the potential to boom, but be carefull of your enviroment. It is no use to become a top exporter if your people lives in overpolluted cities.
I consider it moderately difficult.

Produces Resources for trade.

Developing Country or Columbia

Think of one of the many African countries of nowdays, and you will get the idea. Povety, famines, underdeveloped economy and infraestructure, are some of the issues you will face. I do not recommend starting out with this template, as you will probably not be able to solve it as a first-time regent.

Devoloping countries produce no resources for trade.

Postcommunistic or GDR
The German Democratic Republic in all of it's glory (...?). On the bright side, you have near-unexistant unemployment. On the down side your economy is nowhere near dinamic, with huge taxes, subsidies, and large interest rates coupled with a low money supply.
Economically this is the hardest template.

Postcommunistic countries produce Finished and Semi-Finished goods.

Fundamentalist or Iran
Think of most modern Islamic countries, such as Iran, Libya, Morocco, and the like. Economically your state is comparable to that of a Resource Power, albeit on a cosiderably smaller scale. You also have a conservative/reactionary social situation, hence 'fundamentalist'.
Economically it should not be too hard to play, but socially you should pick your options carefully.

Fundamentalist states produce Resources as tradeable goods.

Managing your state
I will try to explain as briefly as I can the various tabs you get to see when your state is ready.

Overview
Right after you have created your state you will be taken to it's overview page. Here you can see general information regarding your state, such as the general mood of your people.

Tasks

This tab is very important. As a regent of an state you will have to take various decisions that will affect your nation's future.

For example, when you start playing your state, the Parliament's building will be set ablaze. You have various choices to take -- each has a different effect on your state.

Reforms

When you have adquired enought influence, you can enact various reforms. Most of these have a profound effect on your nation's various aspects. I will try to give the most important aspect of the reforms below (as some reforms exclude others, you are recommended to check each individually to see which ones are the best to implement).

Pension Reform
This is what my country did a year or so ago. Basically the pension funds are all put into state hands and standarized. Theorically this will result in short-term savings with a reduction from investment of bussiness.

Labor Market Reform
Force all unemployed citizens to seek a job, even if basic. Generates reneuve and lowers unemployment, but many will not like having to resort to basic jobs.

Laicism
Complete separation of religion and state. Aims to to stablish a firm secularization.

Basic Income
Grants every citizen of your nation a guaranteed income per month, equal to the cost of living. Theorically promotes working, as citizens who want a better living will have to earn their income. It is recommended you do not pursue this reform without a considerable budget surplus first.

Administration Reform
Replaces outdated databases and bureucratic methods with more modern ones and creates a central government database.

Freigeld
Drastically depreciates the currency of your state, promoting foreign investment, bussiness growth, and inflation.

Free Land
Nationalizes all land, but not the buildings build upon it. Generates much reneuve but generates a massive bureacracy. Not to mention, nobody who spent their life working to buy a home will like seeing it's ground below taken from them.

Privatized Healthcare
Privatizes the Healthcare system. Promotes foreign investment, but makes pay mandatory in all hospitals as they are now private.

Employment reform
Force every company, based on their profits, to hire a certain number of people. Also makes jobs a universal right. Lowers unemployment but will lower investment.

Anarcho-Syndicalism
Turns all private enterprise into co-operatives. Of course this will drastically decrease foreign investement, but will lower your GINI considerably.

Universal Healthcare
The oppostive of Privatized Healthcare. Gives public hospitals the ability to prescribe medicines and do surgery at much lower prices. Will lower your GINI and will probably make your people happy. But chances are this will double your health budget.

Planned Economy
Become a Communist state ala Soviet. Every enterprise is run and owned by the state. Private enterprise is banned, and there are massive nationalizations.

Flat Income tax
Sets all taxes at a flat rate, regardless of who is rich or poor. Helps bussiness.

Negative income tax
Eliminates welfare and replaces it with a negative income tax.
See this wikipedia page for a detailed description of how it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax

Transhumanism
Allows the rich class to have access to latest genetic modification techniques.

Totalitarianism
Turns your state into a dictatorship, centralizing all powers in your authority.

Enhanced basic income
Gives everyone a guaranteed income of the basic cost of liviing plus 50% of that. As woth Basic Income, it is recommended you do not attempt this reform wihout a extensive budget surplus first.

Protectionism
Takes measures to reduce imports drastically.

Anarcho-Capitalism
Limits the state to a managerial role, while leaving everything else to the Free Market.

Money Reform I
Has all private banks adquire money from the state through lending. Thus, gives you increased control of the interest rates and money supply.

Money Reform II
Eliminates your national debt throught the creation of a new currency.

Liberalism
Eliminates many government regulations of the markets.

Theocracy
Makes your regent the maximun religious figure in your country, as well as the maximun civilian (and possibly military) authority as well.

Monarchy
Turns your state into a Monarchy, crowning you Emperor/Empress.

Egalitarian Transhumanism
Makes latest genetic techniques available for the general population and makes genetics subject to government regulation.

Pacifism
Drastically cuts spending from the military and takes a more diplomatic stance.

Militarism
Drastically increases military spending and adopts a more agressive stance for your state.

Bank Reform I
Nationalizes all banks that do not generate money from secondary sources, giving the state a 51% share on them.

Judicial Reform
Criminals have to pay reparations to the victims, and the state compensates the victims until the criminals are found, judged, and sentenced.

Details

Every winter season you can modify your bugdet, accessible through this tab. This is very important as it in essense allows you to direct your economy. Below I will try to explain a little the various things you can change in it:

Taxes on capital
Tax on property. Affects the rich the most. Income gained from it is classified as "Taxes on capital absolute". This has a considerable effect on bussiness investment and it is recommended you keep it low, gaining income from other tax methods as to not weaken your economy.

Adquisition taxes
Income tax. Income gained is described as "Acquisition taxes absolute". Affects everyone.

Excise taxes
Or Value Added Tax. Theorically it is a regressive taxation method and affects mostly the lower classes. Income gained is described as "Excise taxes absolute".

Customs
Custom duties, tariffs and such on import. Income gained is described as "Customs absolute".

______

In additional, the total income gained from taxes is sumarized as "Total state income".

National property
The total value of all state-owned assetts, such as parks, bridges, hospitals, etc.

State income
All income gained through non-taxation means. Goods sold by state-owned factories, interest gained by state-granted loans, etc.

National debt
If negative, represents your state's debt. If positive, represents your reserves.

New indebtedness
If negative, shows your budget deficit. If positive, shows your budget surplus.

Payment of interest
How much money you losse from paying interest to your lending sources. If positive, your are lending money and receiving interest from it.

Nominal interest
How much interest stored money generates.

Money supply
How many units of your currency are currently available in your country.

PE administration
Represents the spending on the quality of your infraestucture.

___

PE means "Public Expending (or Public Expenditure)".

PE justice
Represents money invested into the police department, payments to judges, etc.

PE education
Money currently spent on education and research.

PE family
Benefits to people with children.

Basic income
How much money is given on average as basic income for your citizens. Requires "Basic Income" and/or "Enhanced basic income" reform(s).

Welfare
How much money is given on average for welfare recipients.

Pensions
How much money is paid on average as pension for your retirees.

PE environment
How much money you are using to preserve or restore the environment.

PE health
Budget spent on public hospitals, public clinics, and the like.

PE defence
How much you are spending on your military. Deploying troops to other nations from a world state to another will increase military expenses.

PE subsidies
How much money is being spent on the various subsides given by the government.

PE others
Money spent on the quantity of your infraesture.

PE payments
How much the various projects or task options are costing.

PE projects
Public money spent on projects of large scale.

Public expenditure
Total public expenditure.

Living costs
The average cost of living in your nation.

Net income
Average income of the citizens of your state.

PE pensions
Public money spent on state-paid pensions.

PE welfare
Money spent on state-provided welfare.

PE basic income
How much money you are spending to give out as basic income.

________

Be warned that all of these values will have an effect on your state. Increasing the healthcare budget will improve the quality and availability of public healthcare services. Decreasing PE Pensions will lower the standard of living of those people dependant on public pensions, etc.

Regent

This tab is pretty much self-explanatory, save for the "Secret Files" and "Special Actions".

Every year, if your influence has augmented, you will gain an Action Point. These can be spent on various actions such as trade agreements, recruitment drives, speeches, etc.

Secret files represent orders you can give to your intelligence agency, police, and/or military on regards of elections, protests, insurgents, etc.

Alliances
Shows the various alliances your state can join to.

Joining an alliance has the benefit that they can assist you in paying your debt, for example.

Projects
Where you can order various large-scale projects of various sorts. These are funded through PE Projects.

World
If you are playing a world state, then this tab allows you to sign trade agreements, boycotts, and vote for a world leader.

The world leader can block regents from enacting a number of reforms, so it is important to consider who you are voting.

Military

This tab allows you to attack or defent other countries, either directly or indicrectly.

Additional Notes

(These are added to the guide to regard updates and questions that were not taken into account at first)

End of Regent Rule, postponing it, and Secret Files
There are various ways in which the regent can stop ruling. Coup'd'tats, revolutions, assasinations, deselections, and of course, old age, are some if not most of them.
Old Age is directly linked to the country's quality of life. Thus, the healthier your country is, the better the life of the general populace and by proxy yours. Tasks and reforms regarding health, environment, and healthcare have an effect on this. So do the Transhumanism reforms. Keep in mind however, than no one can live forever... However one can live a very long life.
'Violence' caused by extremists (Coups, revolutions, assasinations), can be averted by the "secret files" section on the Regent tab. Personally I recommend keeping the "Surveillance of Dissenters" option activated, as it is the most covert action and is fairly effective.
To avoid deselection, you can rig the elections. However this can come at a great cost: The people may become VERY unhappy and extremists may attempt to overthrow you.
When the rule of the regent ends, the state is added to your "history". This is visible on your profile.

Note: When you can no longer play your state due to reasons mentioned above, you can still create a new state and start again.

Playing on world states & Experience
Experience increases as you remain active in the game. It is specially important for world states -- the system will give more prominent states (Superpowers, Industrial States) to players with more experience behind them.

In addition, to play a world state, you first must have 5 points of experience gained.

On a side note related to the previous point, one should be careful on how to act in world states. Regents of other states can try and conquer your own. However, do not worry -- the world community will likely stand togheter with you against the invader. Just ask for help!

And well, that is it for now I think. If there are any questions I will try to answer them as well.

Special thanks to Helsworth again, both for the reason already given and for me 'borrowing' his defintion of PE Administration and PE Others. Wink

Update: Added Lord Alexander's suggestions to the guide. Thanks to him!

Update 2: Thanks to Helsworth for the tip on Judicial Reform.

Update 3: Added "additional notes" section.

23.03.2011 16:32
Quote this message in a reply
Xylfer

Words count: 3,240
Group: Basic
Experience: 82
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: My attempt at a "new players' guide"

Great guide! Seems like I should have read this one a month ago.. Smile

Small remark: maybe add a note about experience in the world vs classic state paragraph.

23.03.2011 17:12
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DRLHyper
Unregistered

Xylfer Wrote:
Great guide! Seems like I should have read this one a month ago.. Smile

Small remark: maybe add a note about experience in the world vs classic state paragraph.

Why, thank you. Smile

I am happy it could be of help.

24.03.2011 06:51
Lord Alexander
Comrade

Words count: 238,210
Experience: 616
Glory Points: 146
Medals: 4

Excellent guide! But it seems that you forgot to add information about the situation with ‘trade goods’ in fundamentalist template.
Also I have few comments and corrections.

Maybe it is better to mention that both Basic Income reforms are insanely expensive. They easily can ruin the state if it does not have huge budget surplus.

Universal Healthcare reform is double the expenses on healthcare, instead of tripling them.

It is also worthwhile to mention that Taxes on capital have much stronger effect on economy than other taxes. It is recommended that players first become skilled at managing the economy with low Taxes on capital.

I tend to believe that in Ars Regendi the Excise taxes do not function like a regressive taxation method. Excise taxes have minuscule effect on GINI-coefficient even when they are high. Acquisition taxes increase GINI-coefficient a lot more than the Excise taxes.

Customs gather only from imports.

PE education also includes money spent on science.

Basic income, Welfare and Pensions show how much money is spent for each recipient on the average, instead of how many money is spent on the corresponding departments.

24.03.2011 19:19
DRLHyper
Unregistered

Lord Alexander Wrote:
Excellent guide! But it seems that you forgot to add information about the situation with ‘trade goods’ in fundamentalist template.
Also I have few comments and corrections.

Maybe it is better to mention that both Basic Income reforms are insanely expensive. They easily can ruin the state if it does not have huge budget surplus.

Universal Healthcare reform is double the expenses on healthcare, instead of tripling them.

It is also worthwhile to mention that Taxes on capital have much stronger effect on economy than other taxes. It is recommended that players first become skilled at managing the economy with low Taxes on capital.

I tend to believe that in Ars Regendi the Excise taxes do not function like a regressive taxation method. Excise taxes have minuscule effect on GINI-coefficient even when they are high. Acquisition taxes increase GINI-coefficient a lot more than the Excise taxes.

Customs gather only from imports.

PE education also includes money spent on science.

Basic income, Welfare and Pensions show how much money is spent for each recipient on the average, instead of how many money is spent on the corresponding departments.

Thank you, and I have added your suggestions to the guide. Credit is given. Jaja

24.03.2011 20:08
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Very nice DRL Wink Sure hope more newcomers will read this before they post questions.
PS: You should ad to judicial reform that the state compensates the victims of crimes till the criminals are found, trialed and sentenced.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 24.03.2011 21:01 by Helsworth.

24.03.2011 20:51
DRLHyper
Unregistered

Helsworth Wrote:
Very nice DRL Wink Sure hope more newcomers will read this before they post questions.
PS: You should ad to judicial reform that the state compensates the victims of crimes till the criminals are found, trialed and sentenced.

Thank you, and added that bit too. Smile

25.03.2011 08:16
Eutopia
Terran

Words count: 751
Experience: 105
Glory Points: 10
Medals: 1

Thank-you for making this guide, it has been very helpful!ApplausSmile

02.04.2011 17:06
DRLHyper
Unregistered

Eutopia Wrote:
Thank-you for making this guide, it has been very helpful!ApplausSmile

Thank you for reading it. Jaja

02.04.2011 17:54
Commissar
Christian

Words count: 245,807
Experience: 169
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Good job, sir. I learned some additional information about reforms after reading your guide. Thank you.

"...while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Romans 5:10-11)
02.04.2011 18:10
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can normal players hold competitions? szogun 4 1,066 09.12.2013 22:10
Last Post: szogun
  Newbie guide / Wiki Karl_Marx 7 2,209 13.08.2008 16:04
Last Post: fleischidambach

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend