Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Northern Ireland thread

GadTheHero
Unregistered

RE: Northern Ireland thread

The referendum of 1973 only considered the country-wide majority, resulting in a victory of the "non-native" (in very, very longtime terms) majority (in particular as it was widely boycotted by Catholics due to that restriction). I am arguing for a referendum for each of the 26 districts.

As the west and south of Northern Ireland has substantial Catholic majorities, those communities might want to join the Republic of Ireland. And I think they should be free to do so.

23.04.2012 18:27
Quote this message in a reply
Zultra

Words count: 21,426
Group: Basic
Experience: 3
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

GadTheHero Wrote:
The referendum of 1973 only considered the country-wide majority, resulting in a victory of the "non-native" (in very, very longtime terms) majority (in particular as it was widely boycotted by Catholics due to that restriction). I am arguing for a referendum for each of the 26 districts.

As the west and south of Northern Ireland has substantial Catholic majorities, those communities might want to join the Republic of Ireland. And I think they should be free to do so.

They can do, by moving there.

Lets have a example there's a town in Japan with a population of around 30,000 98% of those are British, should that town (and area around it) be under British Jurisdiction.

Sin Fein ARE part of the (many) IRA's.

24.04.2012 23:39
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Weasel
Great Heavenly Supreme Eater of Rabbits

Words count: 66,104
Experience: 103889
Glory Points: 30
Medals: 2

Ireland is a predominantly resolved issue, they have had a referendum on the issue and voted to remain within the UK.

Thay have a devolved parliament in which sinn fein work alongside the unionists to administer the province.

The unionist majority have lived there for hundreds of years, some since the middle ages. Would you deny them their right to remain part of the UK based on the wishes of a minority, a minority which is free to emigrate to Eire if they so wish.

25.04.2012 01:17
rizzoli

Words count: 75
Experience: 157
Glory Points: 10
Medals: 1

Why the UK don't make a referendum to the autoodetermination of the people? Because they aren't brave.......I think that Ulster is a part of Republic of Eire

25.04.2012 08:24
Broberlin

Words count: 477
Experience: 297
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Zultra Wrote:
I hope this thread will be a good discussion piece of this forum.

I believe that we should just Wall off (in the sense of Border control) Northern Ireland from the Rest of Ireland and treat Ireland as any other country, so no-more automatic dual citizenships for people in Ireland.

That way it should stop further conflicts.

The Ulstermen in Northern Ireland want to be part of the UK, I see no reason why they cannot.

Your thoughts....

And Northern Ireland is still part of the UK. What is your point? Furthermore, what is wrong with automatic dual citizenship. My understanding is that such an arrangement is explicitly mandated by the Good Friday Agreement. What interest does the UK have in violating or officially disowning all or part of the treaty? I think parliament and the Cameron government are and should be concerned with much more consequential issues for the nation.

25.04.2012 15:09
GadTheHero
Unregistered

Zultra Wrote:
Lets have a example there's a town in Japan with a population of around 30,000 98% of those are British, should that town (and area around it) be under British Jurisdiction.

Yeah, you see, the difference here is that territory in question has a land border with the the Republic of Ireland, but not with the other parts of the UK.

The proper example would be: Let's imagine the South West of England would belong to Ireland and had slight majority of Irish population, with a substantial Irish majority in Cornwall and Devon, but a decreasing share towards the east, leading to only a small minority in Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire.

What would speak against having a referendum in each county deciding to which country each one should belong? This is the question that I am asking. I do not argue for giving all of Northern Ireland back to Ireland, just those areas that have a Nationalist majority favouring such a move.

We have a border on the island of Ireland that does not reflect the actual distribution of the two groups. The border should be further to the east and the north.

Lord Weasel Wrote:
Ireland is a predominantly resolved issue, they have had a referendum on the issue and voted to remain within the UK.

Thay have a devolved parliament in which sinn fein work alongside the unionists to administer the province.

The unionist majority have lived there for hundreds of years, some since the middle ages. Would you deny them their right to remain part of the UK based on the wishes of a minority, a minority which is free to emigrate to Eire if they so wish.

Again, I am not arguing for all of Northern Ireland being returned to Ireland. The Unionist areas would stay part of the UK.

Regarding the held "referendum" of 1973: This was a referendum only offering the all-or-nothing options. Due to the Protestant majority expected to vote "Yes" on remaining part of the UK, it was completely boycotted by the Catholic voters (only 1 % of them participated). There was an outturn of 58.7%, with a 98.9% Unionist vote. That is not a representive result. It was a completely pointless referendum with a predictable result predeterminted by the conditions and options dictated by the British government.

25.04.2012 18:46
Quote this message in a reply
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  no fucking thread americccpan 0 1,231 01.01.2013 20:25
Last Post: americccpan
  Political Profile thread Zultra 19 6,700 18.04.2012 19:36
Last Post: Lord Alexander
  A Goodbye Thread Killer300 9 1,750 10.05.2011 07:10
Last Post: DRLHyper
  Necessity vs Malthusian i.e. my hardest thread Killer300 28 5,422 27.04.2011 23:46
Last Post: VincentNikolai
  I'm back, for one thread Killer300 39 5,455 11.03.2011 07:30
Last Post: VincentNikolai
  Follow the conversation thread. VincentNikolai 95 17,241 01.01.2011 02:25
Last Post: RichardAWilson
  My Real Last Thread Killer300 8 1,401 15.12.2010 08:22
Last Post: Helsworth

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites