Edvard Kardelj
General Secretary

Words count: 44,838
Group: Basic
Experience: 61
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Papal Political Problems

So, the Pope came out against income inequality and for the environment. Instantly, groups that had previously treated religion like a Third Rail began to hump the Pope's leg.

I got bombarded by emails from Sierra Club, CPUSA, DSA, and League of Conservation Voters with subject lines such as "Why we must listen to Pope Francis", and "Pope Francis Inspires A Generation of Catholics Like Me". This went on for about a month.

Then Kim Davis went on TV. She said Papa Frank dropped in to kiss her ass.

For a brief moment, when there was she confusion as to whether she as making this up, the flood of emails was still trickling in, albeit less enthusiastically.

Then the Vatican confirmed it, and suddenly, none of these people had ever even heard of Pope Frankie.

I'd been leery from the start. The Church hasn't changed it's position on gay rights. It never pretended to. Cardinal Bergolio was the first to condemn Equal Marriage when it was introduced to his native Argentina. He's actively campaigned against GLBT rights before anyone had even heard of him.

A story emerged that the whole thing was a setup by the papal nuncio, and the very first person Francis visited in the US was a married gay guy. Then a gay priest came out and suggested there were a lot of gay priests. He got canned instantly. The Vatican loudly condemned his decision to stop lying about himself right in the middle of this political shitstorm, which pulled the curtain open and exposed the Great Oz. This time, Oz was wearing a klan robe.

I'm laughing my ass off. I have been for weeks. These groups, many of whom I support financially, had jumped on the papal visit with such gusto, completely ignoring publicly available information about the Vatican's embarrassing little problem. And they did it as a money beg, too. The next time I get called for a donation, I'm going to remind them of this. Maybe they can hit Kim Davis up for some cash instead. I'm sure she'd be willing to support the CPUSA and the Sierra Club.

Hey all you Lefties. You've been ignoring GLBT rights for so long, we've had to run to corporations like Wal Mart to get laws like RFRA struck down in places like Arkansas. Where the fuck were you when we were fighting or the right to get married or serve in the military? Oh that's right- you were too busy kissing the Catholic Church's ass, because that's not a reactionary institution, is it? They only signed a fucking treaty with Hitler and Mussolini, after all.

If you keep leaving me at the fucking altar, I'm going to get tired of your shit. Stand up for us, or go find someone else to pay your fucking bills

15.10.2015 22:36
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Words count: 14,196
Experience: 132

RE: Papal Political Problems

Even if Francis believed most of what would be required to change for the Vatican to be relevant, he can't implement any of it. Certain key elements of Church doctrine are effectively hard coded into the theology of the organisation, and that is ultimately what will accelerate its decline.

I'm leaving and probably never coming back, so thanks for the interesting discussions I guess, dunno why im writing this nobody even irl gives a toss about me anyway
15.10.2015 22:45
Edvard Kardelj
General Secretary

VineFynn Wrote:
Even if Francis believed most of what would be required to change for the Vatican to be relevant, he can't implement any of it. Certain key elements of Church doctrine are effectively hard coded into the theology of the organisation, and that is ultimately what will accelerate its decline.

That still doesn't excuse the behavior of organizations that really ought to know better. It doesn't take a genius to know the Vatican is a reactionary institution, or that it has avery long history of attacking progressive movements. What the hell excuse does CPUSA have for using a papal poster boy? Or Sierra Club?

15.10.2015 22:49
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

LoL, I remember a good tweet from someone regarding the Pope's vehicle. It went something like this, "Nothing shows faith in God like a bullet-proof windshield." LMAO.
I don't know about the pope's past. I like it that, even if for PR reasons, he's come off as slightly progressive on gay rights (saying that he can't judge them), but the Catholic Institution remains a huge fucking reactionary & financially corrupt shit hole, with a fucking shit ass past - from the Inquisition to supporting fascism not so long ago. Hagiography is bad, it's bad in sports, it's bad in economics, and it's sure as hell bad in every other aspect of life as well.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
15.10.2015 22:50
Edvard Kardelj
General Secretary

Frankly (Or, francisly, if you will), I don't give a damn if he judges me or doesn't. Nobody who doesn't like me has to give me the time of day. I just want equal rights before the law, that's all. The Church can take it's PR machine and shove it up the back flap of it's robes.

I'm disgusted to see emails from CPUSA extolling Francis' virtue especially. Pope Pius XIIsigned a concordat with both Mussolini and Hitler, just like Stalin when he signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. This was truly the Midnight of the 20th Century. the nadir, the farthest they could stoop. You'd think after that, CPUSA would have learnt from the past and decided not to negotiate with fascists or their supporters.

15.10.2015 23:01
debauchery

Words count: 21,901
Experience: 0

Edvard Kardelj Wrote:
I'm disgusted to see emails from CPUSA extolling Francis' virtue especially. Pope Pius XIIsigned a concordat with both Mussolini and Hitler, just like Stalin when he signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. This was truly the Midnight of the 20th Century. the nadir, the farthest they could stoop. You'd think after that, CPUSA would have learnt from the past and decided not to negotiate with fascists or their supporters.

That might be oversimplifying it. The Papacy might be conservative populist at heart, but they're not corporate America. I think. I'd take the Papacy's Christianity over a lot of that in America in any case, though most of what we have here in New Mexico is liberal enough.

This post was last modified: 15.10.2015 23:43 by debauchery.

15.10.2015 23:42
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Political Correctness Malone 2 1,409 10.11.2021 16:03
Last Post: Edvard Kardelj
  The Political Philosophies MarcusAquila 13 3,224 23.07.2021 07:17
Last Post: LordTriniteras
  Is political correctness murderous? Malone 10 2,849 29.12.2020 20:08
Last Post: lorrielsims
  Political test Malone 69 18,381 24.08.2016 09:54
Last Post: Spacebob
  Problems of the EU. psnlover10 31 5,107 18.04.2016 00:15
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  Stephen Fry on Political Correctness, Regressive Left, and Clear Thinking Helsworth 5 1,978 15.04.2016 17:55
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Ben Carson's political standings (I am pulling all of these from his books) yangusbeef 14 2,950 15.11.2015 02:43
Last Post: Quew
Cool Political Test - other languages Malone 0 1,657 21.05.2013 08:51
Last Post: Malone
  The History of the Devil --about religious and political crimes and bullshit-- Helsworth 0 1,665 22.11.2012 16:29
Last Post: Helsworth
  Political Profile thread Zultra 19 6,764 18.04.2012 19:36
Last Post: Lord Alexander

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites