Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Paul Krugman's ideas are part of the problem

Source: http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=35148

Excerpt from article:

"Students then spend hours in excruciating exercises where the gains in output from the rise in government spending are partially, wholly, or more than wholly offset by the loss of output from private investment as interest rates rise.
They then have moral intonations forced upon them about the relative merits of public spending (which is not ‘disciplined’ by the market) and private investment spending (which is assumed to be always efficient and highly productive.
The morality play ends with students being told that fiscal deficits are bad, force out good private investment and lead to lower efficiency and degraded outcomes for all.
Then the IS-LM framework is married up to another illegitimate framework – AS-AD – which completes the horror story – fiscal deficits end in accelerating inflation.
It is really an amazing con.
There is no educational content in studying the IS-LM framework except from an history of economic thought perspective. It has very little correspondence with the real world."

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
11.01.2017 19:07
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Words count: 14,196
Group: Basic
Experience: 132
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: Paul Krugman's ideas are part of the problem

Why should anyone care about what this blogger says?

I mean, ISLM doesn't say that fiscal deficits cause inflation any more than it says any other demand causes inflation. Borrowed money for the deficit comes out of the existing pool of loanable funds, which reduces private demand anyway. I can't see how that would cause inflation, since they effectively cancel each other out.

If the government prints money for the deficit, sure. But obviously increasing your money stock will cause inflation if you force people to treat new money as an increase in demand, which you will if you buy stuff on a regular basis with it instead of constraining yourself to only swapping it with an item of fixed supply like government bonds (which at the liquidity trap is financially identical to money, so swaps have no effect on demand for other investments)

But this isn't a post about ISLM. It's a complaint about what the blogger assumes to be a problem in economics education- a preference for private spending. As far as I'm aware, education and axioms like that (presented as they are without evidence) constitute a political argument, not an economic one.

I'm leaving and probably never coming back, so thanks for the interesting discussions I guess, dunno why im writing this nobody even irl gives a toss about me anyway

This post was last modified: 15.01.2017 03:38 by VineFynn.

15.01.2017 03:13
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The problem with national debt and a deficit CommieScum 1 1,012 28.05.2018 01:32
Last Post: Shenat
  Scott Fullwiler: Paul Krugman - The Conscience of a Neo-Liberal? Helsworth 0 1,151 12.01.2015 17:43
Last Post: Helsworth
  Philip Pilkington: Krugman Still Wrong on Monetary Theory (Loanable Funds Edition) Helsworth 0 1,368 16.09.2014 09:28
  Krugman's misleading trivialization of the capital controversy Helsworth 0 949 26.04.2014 14:29
  MMT 101: A Reply to Critics Part 1 Helsworth 0 1,116 06.03.2014 21:31
  CEPR on Krugman's Bubbles and Secular Stagnation Helsworth 0 1,253 26.09.2013 15:11
  Michael Hudson on Modern Monetary Theory, describing Paul Krugman for what he is Helsworth 2 1,974 05.07.2013 16:04
  Ron Paul tells the real reason for the oil prices (sort of) Helsworth 2 1,190 16.04.2013 23:04
  How to solve the Euro problem? It's easy! Warren Mosler explains it all! Helsworth 2 1,357 01.04.2013 20:01
  Three Ideas Threatening to Economic Orthodoxy (neoliberalism) Helsworth 2 960 18.03.2013 23:53

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites