Ars Regendi Simulation Forum
The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Printable Version

+- Ars Regendi Simulation Forum (https://forum.ars-regendi.com)
+-- Forum: English (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1321)
+--- Forum: Bugs or mistakes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug (/showthread.php?tid=28719)

The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 11.08.2015 01:17

All elements of GDP of the state Cyantik almost instantly changed to minimal possible numbers. It is obvious bug. If nothing will be done this state most probably will die after the next minor update. (The World Lima is two-tick World.) The state is not mine.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 11.08.2015 08:31

Alas, the owner killed the nation.

I imagine how much frustration may cause such deadly bugs for Regents of the World states. I hope that you are seeking the ways to remove the possibility of overflow bugs at least for the World states because they are making the game much less enjoyable and fair.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 22.08.2015 00:32

In the World Bielefeld the state Pagandien experiences the same bug. It will also die soon. The World Bielefeld is one-tick World. The state is not mine.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 11.09.2015 08:34

The state Brattimacht in the World Sacramento and the state Claxan in the World Bielefeld are both facing this bug right now. In Brattimacht the bug was provoked by implementation of Militarism Reform in already extremely militarized state. On the other hand in Claxan it happened without some apparent reason. Both states are not mine, and both Worlds are one-tick Worlds.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - GeoW - 11.09.2015 09:53

No comment by any admin since almost one month? Suspect

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 11.09.2015 10:53

GeoW Wrote:
No comment by any admin since almost one month? Suspect

It seems that Admins very rarely respond to the bug reports in the English part of the forum. I admit that it would be nice if Admins will at least form a habit to respond with confirmation when they are noticing new bug reports.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 23.09.2015 00:14

Another state with this bug: Sacraland in the World Sacramento. This state is not mine, and this World is one-tick world. In this case the state has preserved its Government purchases, but all other components of GDP decreased to minimum.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 21.10.2015 12:57

One more case with this bug: Etrinum in the two-ticks World Lima. It is not my state.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 30.10.2015 15:56

Coast Peak in the two ticks World Krakow is experiencing this bug right now. It is not my state. Just like it was in the case of Sacraland this state has preserved Government purchases, but all other components of GDP have decreased to minimum. In this case bug was probably provoked by the implementation of Militarism Reform in already extremely militarized state.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 10.11.2015 11:15

The classic state Tortuga is also experiencing this bug. All components of its GDP have decreased to minimum, its Capital has become negative value, and Living costs also decreased to minimum. It is not mine.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 15.11.2015 07:18

New case of this bug in the Classic state Northern Russia. It is not my state.

This case is unusual because this time the bug has happened absolutely without any trigger. The regent of this state has stopped to be active long time ago, but it is still only 130 Quarters old, so it is not very old state. GDP just collapsed when the inactive regent has again won the elections. Weird.

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 27.11.2015 01:17

Now this bug has happened with the state Brabelbrabel 1 in the one tick World Florenz. It is not mine.

This time it happened after the project was finished. All components of its GDP have decreased to minimum values, its Capital has become negative value, and its Net income and Ally worth have jumped into the sky. (It is the member of the alliance IRA.)

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - MrProper - 27.11.2015 17:31

If the GUI of Ars Regendi is set to German, the Dashboard page does not display the latest post in the English section of the forum. Just taking a guess, but it is possible that our administration did not notice your posts.

However, there is something you should keep in mind. The problem you are addressing in this and the other thread are related to the very same problem: Arithmetic overflows, which I explained here already and, in some cases, problems with floating point numbers. Even with numerical limits (which are in place already for many state values) these matrix crash will still occur. It is an intrinsic problem of Ars Regendi, due to choice of programming language, equation modelling and data representation. These problems are known, but the can not but be solved entirely unless Ars Regendi would be redesigned from scratch. And this will probably not happen in near future.

As the administration is aware of these issues, it is normally possible to have a "set back" by some quarters or sometimes even to get a coin refund if a state crashes very early on.

(The two last references are to the German section of the forum. I am sorry I did not have the time to seek other references in the English section.)

RE: The state in the World Lima experiences catastrophic bug - Lord Alexander - 07.12.2015 02:32

Another case of this bug – Limdo in the one tick World Bielefeld. Most symptoms are the same as the previous case, but the Net income has shrinked. The state is not mine.

MrProper Wrote:
If the GUI of Ars Regendi is set to German, the Dashboard page does not display the latest post in the English section of the forum. Just taking a guess, but it is possible that our administration did not notice your posts.

I strongly doubt that they really do not notice my reports, but if this is really the case, then Malone definitely should find one more Administrator for looking over the English section of the "Bugs or mistakes" forum.

Quote:
However, there is something you should keep in mind. The problem you are addressing in this and the other thread are related to the very same problem: Arithmetic overflows, which I explained here already and, in some cases, problems with floating point numbers. Even with numerical limits (which are in place already for many state values) these matrix crash will still occur. It is an intrinsic problem of Ars Regendi, due to choice of programming language, equation modelling and data representation. These problems are known, but the can not but be solved entirely unless Ars Regendi would be redesigned from scratch. And this will probably not happen in near future.

As the administration is aware of these issues, it is normally possible to have a "set back" by some quarters or sometimes even to get a coin refund if a state crashes very early on.

(The two last references are to the German section of the forum. I am sorry I did not have the time to seek other references in the English section.)

Even if these bugs cannot be prevented it is still important to clean the mess that they are producing. When the states die due to these bugs their owners usually get absolutely inapropriate number of experience points, and this is unfair. This side effect can be avoided, if in cases when Administrators have no plans to save such states they nevertheless will move them manually back into some Quarter before the beginning of the bug and then manually kill them to guarantee that the owners of such states at least will be awarded by the fair number of experience points.