Reset State Button

CaiusFilimon

Words count: 26,230
Group: Premium
Experience: 78
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Reset State Button

It's been said that implementing such a button has been under consideration for a while. I really do think it's worth at the very least a test/prototype so that the playerbase can test it.

One way to have it tested would be to have this be an option one could choose to have available when starting a tickless state. It's especially needed for this option to be available to people who PAY for their states because:

1) They will pay for a state that is most likely to go unreasonably haywire later in game. Thus, it's almost a fully wasted purchase and very unfair to the purchaser and can cause some significant resentment (I would know).

2) They could choose whether to go for a tickless state that has this reset button, or one that doesn't

3) People willing to pay for a state would be most willing to also provide feedback

Here's one suggestion of how it could work:

Have the option of going back 10 in-game years or 5 in-game years. Example: person reaches the year of 2030. Inflation starts shooting through the roof while GDP collapses. Goes back 5 years into the past of the state and tries to solve the issue. Reaches 2030 again and for whatever reason decides to go back 10 years. Goes back 10 years, at which point one cannot go back any more.

Namely, a person can go back as many times as one wishes, but with the limit of it being only 10 years before the current non-rolled-back date. So once a person goes from 2030 to 2020, he could never go to a date any earlier than 2020. They'd need to buy a new state to do so. But a state could go back to 2020, get to 2030, and go back to 2020 indefinitely.

--- From personal experience, I've noticed that states that are reset a few quarters by devs after the matrix goes haywire, the matrix is fixed and survives for a fair amount of time afterwards, sometimes for more than 20 years after the dev rollback. The lack of limits on the number of rollbacks on a state can give the matrix a whole lot of chances to stop going haywire, depending on the owner of the state.

24.05.2017 21:03
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Burkean
Mercurian Observer

Words count: 35,127
Experience: 1613910
Glory Points: 220
Medals: 10

RE: Reset State Button

I don't see much of a difference between infinite resets limited to 10 years and making the game free. You, as a player, also get robbed of the experience of seeing a state through it's life cycle. An awesome state won't mean squat, it will mean someone has an obsession and a lot of time.

I'm not sure if I should say this, but there have been a few times I have just plain messed up my states via poor choices. A PM to a patient admin enabled me to get advice and a reset. I never had the courage to ask for more than a couple years or for resets multiple times in the same state.

I recommend a carefree package as an alternative to paying for states that might crap out. Best decision I ever made in this game.

26.05.2017 04:14
adder
Westwelt-Patriotin

Words count: 490,855
Experience: 1342278
Glory Points: 160
Medals: 6

Roma
Stolenlands

I can imagine to have such a button, if every use of it costs money (even under Care Free).
I also could imagine to have an option for a state with x resets bought. That would mean that you pay upfront for the tickless state and x resets (with each reset costing as much as the state?) and can reset x times.
That way, one could at least save the work to fill out the infos for the state each time.
Otherwise, the reset button is much too powerful. A smart person would use it the first time 10-12 years after birth and have a virtually free tickless state.

Falls bei einem Quote kein Name steht, geht davon aus, dass der letzte Name immer noch gilt und es derselbe Post war!
Ich halte mich an meine Zitatregeln: beim ersten Zitat aus einem Post wird ein [" Quote= ]" gesetzt. Danach bis ein neuer Poster oder ein neuer Post kommt, nur ein "[ Quote "]. Falls ich zwischen Postern hin-und-herspringe, nenne ich den Poster auch häufiger.

Si vis pacem para bellum

"Alles, was der Mensch ist und was ihn über das Tier hinaushebt, dankt er der Vernunft. Warum sollte er gerade in der Politik auf den Gebrauch der Vernunft verzichten und sich dunkeln und unklaren Gefühlen und Impulsen anvertrauen?" (Ludwig von Mises)
26.05.2017 04:41
CaiusFilimon

Burkean Wrote:
I don't see much of a difference between infinite resets limited to 10 years and making the game free. You, as a player, also get robbed of the experience of seeing a state through it's life cycle. An awesome state won't mean squat, it will mean someone has an obsession and a lot of time.

I'm not sure if I should say this, but there have been a few times I have just plain messed up my states via poor choices. A PM to a patient admin enabled me to get advice and a reset. I never had the courage to ask for more than a couple years or for resets multiple times in the same state.

I recommend a carefree package as an alternative to paying for states that might crap out. Best decision I ever made in this game.

By that logic you go against any and all things that take trial and error and, really, any work.

Having a great state likewise takes work and time, just that over one year.

Or I take it that to you a person who has a lot of time and obsessive plays 20 ticks a day instead of the usual 1/2 ticks a day? And that's meant to take away the fun from having a 'good' state? Or that people who don't have time to check ars regendi every day and only a few dedicated days to play multiple ticks are likewise obsessive?

The point is giving people a chance at avoiding matrix derp outs that often seem to be resolved after a state reset of a few ticks. It would likewise be a paid feature and clearly labelled as experimental. Personally I'd be in favor of it being put into the base free states as well, but in case the devmins want some additional revenue, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt players to pay a couple euros for a limited-resettable state.

The devs have likewise been kind to me and reset the states a couple times, but not often at all.. especially given the extreme bugs my states had been experiencing for two entire years. I had paid for the states experiencing these bugs for years and they were not fixed for two years, and I was enraged. Fortunately, the devmins were, in the end, kind and helpful, although not re: the game mechanics.

This would be a nice, short and sweet partial fix, or attempt at it, that can be tested by those WILLING to test it.

adder Wrote:
I can imagine to have such a button, if every use of it costs money (even under Care Free).
I also could imagine to have an option for a state with x resets bought. That would mean that you pay upfront for the tickless state and x resets (with each reset costing as much as the state?) and can reset x times.
That way, one could at least save the work to fill out the infos for the state each time.
Otherwise, the reset button is much too powerful. A smart person would use it the first time 10-12 years after birth and have a virtually free tickless state.

No, people should not have to pay money for a game matrix that derps out later in the game. These resets would only offer a 'small chance' of the matrix not derping out again. It would be a terrible idea to have people pay for a CHANCE that the game will actually work as it's intended. With unlimited tries, people can try until it's clear that the matrix will collapse no matter what with their states.

And who would play the same state over and over again just for the first 10 years? And perhaps an even better question, who even buys tickless states as it stands? This is meant as a test, to see if the reset button would help apply a band aid to the matrix derp outs. And perhaps see if there are any madmen who would reset their states every 10 years just to play the same tasks over and over again.

This game isn't actually about the tasks themselves, especially not after you've played it for a half decent amount of time... it's about seeing where you can take the state over the long term, so there would be few sane individuals who would just play it over and over again just to learn the tasks by heart.

26.05.2017 14:29
Burkean
Mercurian Observer

Words count: 35,127
Experience: 1613910
Glory Points: 220
Medals: 10

Well you obviously have this game all figured out.

I yield to your vast knowledge and wish you luck with your idea.

26.05.2017 23:37
adder
Westwelt-Patriotin

Words count: 490,855
Experience: 1342278
Glory Points: 160
Medals: 6

Roma
Stolenlands

CaiusFilimon Wrote:
No, people should not have to pay money for a game matrix that derps out later in the game. These resets would only offer a 'small chance' of the matrix not derping out again. It would be a terrible idea to have people pay for a CHANCE that the game will actually work as it's intended. With unlimited tries, people can try until it's clear that the matrix will collapse no matter what with their states.

Then play with the two free states. No problem there... with paying...

Quote:
And who would play the same state over and over again just for the first 10 years?

you never ever hinted at the reset-button to be "playing just 10 years before the end". You only limited it to "you can go back in time 10 years at most from the first hit of the reset button". Of course, there still is a virtually free tickless state. As in 40 quarters a lot can be done.

Falls bei einem Quote kein Name steht, geht davon aus, dass der letzte Name immer noch gilt und es derselbe Post war!
Ich halte mich an meine Zitatregeln: beim ersten Zitat aus einem Post wird ein [" Quote= ]" gesetzt. Danach bis ein neuer Poster oder ein neuer Post kommt, nur ein "[ Quote "]. Falls ich zwischen Postern hin-und-herspringe, nenne ich den Poster auch häufiger.

Si vis pacem para bellum

"Alles, was der Mensch ist und was ihn über das Tier hinaushebt, dankt er der Vernunft. Warum sollte er gerade in der Politik auf den Gebrauch der Vernunft verzichten und sich dunkeln und unklaren Gefühlen und Impulsen anvertrauen?" (Ludwig von Mises)
27.05.2017 06:34
CaiusFilimon

Burkean Wrote:
Well you obviously have this game all figured out.

I yield to your vast knowledge and wish you luck with your idea.

Excuse you? The whole point here was discussion. Thank you.

adder Wrote:

CaiusFilimon Wrote:

Then play with the two free states. No problem there... with paying...

Quote:
And who would play the same state over and over again just for the first 10 years?

you never ever hinted at the reset-button to be "playing just 10 years before the end". You only limited it to "you can go back in time 10 years at most from the first hit of the reset button". Of course, there still is a virtually free tickless state. As in 40 quarters a lot can be done.

Thanks for pointing that out; I meant it differently: A person should be able to go back to 2020 from 2030, to 2040 from 2050 and so on, and once one goes back to 2040 from 2050, he can't go back again to 2030 from 2040 because that would be a completely unlimited state.

And yes, a lot can be done, but the same argument stands: this game is about where you can take the state long-term. People won't go back every 40 ticks forever just to do the same tasks over and over again... or even if some will do it a couple times, very few people buy tickless states as it is. If you think that'll cause a drop in tickless states that's quite unlikely.

The 10 year period can be changed of course, and the point of it all would be to test it at least. Otherwise we can only assume what people will do and either assume the illogical worst, or otherwise.

'Then play with two free states' That solves nothing and ignores everything said so far. As it stands, the matrix is extremely likely to go haywire eventually, and this is quite the problem when it goes haywire on a paid state as then people buy a faulty product. At least a reset gives the matrix a 2nd chance, a 3rd chance, etc.

Give people the chance and see if more or fewer people buy tickless states, and if the matrix can be kept alive for longer. What's there to be against of on a logical level?

This post was last modified: 27.05.2017 12:15 by CaiusFilimon.

27.05.2017 12:14
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion: Police State reform Ajay Alcos 6 1,283 13.04.2016 13:14
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Ability to freeze the State. Crossover 5 967 27.01.2014 19:07
Last Post: Helsworth
  Future Template State POLL - Competition between the BIG Three Helsworth 9 1,724 24.03.2013 00:33
Last Post: Roger Mexico
  Change the state template from real world nation to the nation "type" DarthV1 1 1,050 11.01.2013 18:53
Last Post: Helsworth
  Total state income and PE total Petrenkovich 8 1,863 16.10.2012 10:31
Last Post: Sheep
  Next template state UK vs Cuba vs China vs Japan vs Brazil Helsworth 11 2,166 19.04.2012 19:19
Last Post: Titian
  Suggestion: World State land gain penguin16 6 1,835 14.02.2012 15:19
Last Post: Sheep
  State Evolution Dr. Pwnguin 2 949 14.11.2010 19:39
Last Post: DRLHyper
  Next template state Petrenkovich 3 1,025 15.10.2008 11:11
Last Post: Echnaton
  Vote Button WhiteHaven 4 1,437 23.10.2007 13:07
Last Post: WhiteHaven

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites