Scientists Successfully Transplant Rat Head Onto Organism

CommieScum

Words count: 12,806
Group: Basic
Experience: 25
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Scientists Successfully Transplant Rat Head Onto Organism

In a huge leap for mankind, scientists have successfully transplanted a rat head onto another rat head without damaging the brain or causing fatal bleeding. They have been attempting such an operation since the beginning of the 20th century - it has always been theoretically possible, but only now have they actually achieved it with success.

As rats are similar to humans, this is catalyzing human-human transplants, in which human heads will be transplanted onto other humans.

Some have said that head transplants are cruel and unusual, but I say it is no different from transplanting an arm or a leg, or a kidney for that matter. They are only naysayers of the greater cause.

The rat tragically died shortly after the operation - but that's not the point. It was expected.

This post was last modified: 28.04.2017 15:46 by CommieScum.

28.04.2017 15:38
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alexei B.Miller
Co President of the Ros'Gaz Union State

Words count: 630,277
Experience: 6225
Glory Points: 710
Medals: 26

Vlaxia
RE: Scientists Successfully Transplant Rat Head Onto Organism

go away

"Hitler wanted to destroy Russia, everyone needs to remember how that ended"

Vladimir Putin

29.04.2017 00:53
CommieScum

Alexei B.Miller Wrote:
go away

Do I offend you, little snowflake?

29.04.2017 14:40
thepresidentmaN
Unregistered

CommieScum Wrote:
In a huge leap for mankind, scientists have successfully transplanted a rat head onto another rat head without damaging the brain or causing fatal bleeding. They have been attempting such an operation since the beginning of the 20th century - it has always been theoretically possible, but only now have they actually achieved it with success.

As rats are similar to humans, this is catalyzing human-human transplants, in which human heads will be transplanted onto other humans.

Some have said that head transplants are cruel and unusual, but I say it is no different from transplanting an arm or a leg, or a kidney for that matter. They are only naysayers of the greater cause.

The rat tragically died shortly after the operation - but that's not the point. It was expected.

But what does it achieve other than "Look at what I can do!"? It seems to me that this has no practical purpose, thus making the grotesqueness of the procedure stick out. As much as I find transhumanism scary, I must admit that cybernetics will quickly be vastly superior to any human head transplant, making this whole experiment an excercise in pointless cruelty.

02.05.2017 02:48
Quote this message in a reply
adder
Westwelt-Patriotin

Words count: 573,433
Group: Premium
Experience: 1342387
Glory Points: 160
Medals: 7

thepresidentmaN Wrote:
But what does it achieve other than "Look at what I can do!"? It seems to me that this has no practical purpose, thus making the grotesqueness of the procedure stick out. As much as I find transhumanism scary, I must admit that cybernetics will quickly be vastly superior to any human head transplant, making this whole experiment an excercise in pointless cruelty.

Well, it has a point. Not in transplanting a head. But in transplanting a full body. Point is, there may be reasons to transplant a full body to a still functioning brain and central nervous system. If it is possible to do so, and the surgeon can reasonably well put together the nervous endings, then there is the possibility to rescue brilliant people from their fates.*

Actually this won't save Stephen Hawkins (without changing him), as his CNS is damaged, and the brain alone is not the place where our self-awareness is rooted, but it may save people with multiple cascading organ failure.

And even for cybernetics the nervous interfaces have to connected with CNS and Brain nerves. So there is even there a possibility to learn from.

*One more point: this may be a very drastic way of having a transsexual person get their brain into a real body. Of course, the ethics are catastrophic, as one would clone a body (from an adult), bombard it with crossgender hormones, and have its CNS and brain removed and that from the transsexual person replaced. But then again, that's so costly that only really rich persons could do it in the first place, so ethics might not be the only thing preventing this.
If someone finds a way to clone a person without brain and CNS, then this would be really cool. I'd kill for that. Having my body being female even inside...

Falls bei einem Quote kein Name steht, geht davon aus, dass der letzte Name immer noch gilt und es derselbe Post war!
Ich halte mich an meine Zitatregeln: beim ersten Zitat aus einem Post wird ein [" Quote= ]" gesetzt. Danach bis ein neuer Poster oder ein neuer Post kommt, nur ein "[ Quote "]. Falls ich zwischen Postern hin-und-herspringe, nenne ich den Poster auch häufiger.

Si vis pacem para bellum

"Alles, was der Mensch ist und was ihn über das Tier hinaushebt, dankt er der Vernunft. Warum sollte er gerade in der Politik auf den Gebrauch der Vernunft verzichten und sich dunkeln und unklaren Gefühlen und Impulsen anvertrauen?" (Ludwig von Mises)
02.05.2017 04:00
CommieScum

thepresidentmaN Wrote:

CommieScum Wrote:

You mean gene editing. We currently lack the understanding of the brain to achieve cybernetics. Now, gene editing, we are rather close to perfecting it. Maybe a decade or two. Then, we will finally, literally, be able to make super humans by altering the genetic code of zygotes! (Super human in terms of types of strength (making the muscles divide for longer periods of time), memory, charisma, etcetera..

02.05.2017 06:57
thepresidentmaN
Unregistered

Yeah that's another upcoming tech. I imagine such a technology could lead some societies to develop an ant colony like social structure with specialized people for different roles. Which would be bizzare but also likely very effective at whatever their goals were.

02.05.2017 23:57
Quote this message in a reply
CommieScum

thepresidentmaN Wrote:
Yeah that's another upcoming tech. I imagine such a technology could lead some societies to develop an ant colony like social structure with specialized people for different roles. Which would be bizzare but also likely very effective at whatever their goals were.

Man made evolution. Quite revolutionary, a new type of evolution that happens very rapidly, extraordinarily changing the phenotype ratios in a few short generations. The danger is that if such a technology got in the hands of, say, North Korea, we could see some issues in terms of human right and geopolitics... But do not forget, it has other functions as well. We could finally rid ourselves of chronic genetic disorders, such as Autism.

03.05.2017 03:16
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Scientists Successfully halt cancerous growth via gene editing CommieScum 3 1,270 09.01.2018 07:41
Last Post: DonaldDesoto
  Paper finds that elite scientists impede progress in their field until they die Helsworth 0 1,129 16.12.2015 00:25
Last Post: Helsworth
  Do any competent climate scientists exist!? Helsworth 2 7,435 12.06.2013 08:52
Last Post: Helsworth

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites