Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Scrap Projects

DRLHyper
Unregistered

Scrap Projects

Hello, I would like to suggest an option called "scrap projects".

The idea is that you make a project, but then can not afford to keep paying it, then you can scrap it.

Me, my state USARC has a great wall, and it is like 50% of the new indebtness (since it goes to projects, and this is the only project).

22.09.2010 08:41
Quote this message in a reply
Lord Alexander
Comrade

Words count: 238,210
Group: Basic
Experience: 616
Glory Points: 146
Medals: 4

RE: Scrap Projects

It can be too easily abused. Project expenses provide some stimulus to economy, so prosperous states will be able to cancel projects and then start them again to get this stimulus for an infinite time.

22.09.2010 12:40
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

DRLHyper Wrote:
Hello, I would like to suggest an option called "scrap projects".

The idea is that you make a project, but then can not afford to keep paying it, then you can scrap it.

Me, my state USARC has a great wall, and it is like 50% of the new indebtness (since it goes to projects, and this is the only project).

I like the idea of scraping a project. Of course that would mean contracting the economy. Once you've scrapped it the expenditures will balance out, then when you reactivate it, it can start where it was leftoff, depending on how much money of the neccessary sum (of completion) the project ate. Though it could be a bit tricky for the matrix.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 22.09.2010 14:53 by Helsworth.

22.09.2010 14:52
Lord Alexander
Comrade

Helsworth Wrote:
I like the idea of scraping a project. Of course that would mean contracting the economy. Once you've scrapped it the expenditures will balance out, then when you reactivate it, it can start where it was leftoff, depending on how much money of the neccessary sum (of completion) the project ate. Though it could be a bit tricky for the matrix.

Such approach will not harm the game balance as much, but it is not very realistic. It is realistically impossible to build half of the Space Elevator, then scrap it one day, abandon it for twenty years and then just reactivate it at the point where you had abandoned it. To save the results of at least some part of already made work such projects must be properly sealed, and it will require huge additional expenditures.

22.09.2010 16:05
Helsworth
Heathen

Lord Alexander Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:

Such approach will not harm the game balance as much, but it is not very realistic. It is realistically impossible to build half of the Space Elevator, then scrap it one day, abandon it for twenty years and then just reactivate it at the point where you had abandoned it. To save the results of at least some part of already made work such projects must be properly sealed, and it will require huge additional expenditures.

Buildings and railroad constructions can be put on halt in real life. It happens all the time in my country... Hmm

This post was last modified: 22.09.2010 17:51 by Helsworth.

22.09.2010 17:51
Lord Alexander
Comrade

This is why buildings and railroads are not considered Projects in this game. Even construction of simple buildings can be frozen only for a limited time. Half-constructed skyscraper cannot be successfully finished after twenty or thirty years of abandonment. And a high-tech structure like the Space Elevator will require continuous support just to remain intact.

22.09.2010 19:30
DRLHyper
Unregistered

Lord Alexander Wrote:
This is why buildings and railroads are not considered Projects in this game. Even construction of simple buildings can be frozen only for a limited time. Half-constructed skyscraper cannot be successfully finished after twenty or thirty years of abandonment. And a high-tech structure like the Space Elevator will require continuous support just to remain intact.

Well, maybe you can scrap it, this does not require a cost (say, you sell the scraps to pay for the demolition) or even if it does, you can cancel the project althogheter.

My idea is that you should be able to destroy, for example, your great wall, or rapid transport system. Even if this means paying the same amount of money you used to build it, I preffer doing that, and pay 20 bil once, and not paying 18 bil per quarter, which greatly affects my debt.

22.09.2010 21:12
Helsworth
Heathen

Lord Alexander Wrote:

The space elevator could be a force field that provides a secure, fast and frictionless medium neccessary for freight. The Wall of China has been built, destroyed and rebuilt a lot of times. I agree with Hyper that there should be an option to eliminate the project completely. Still a project halt option is realistic, it could provide a 3% project cost for halt maintenance.

This post was last modified: 22.09.2010 21:26 by Helsworth.

22.09.2010 21:25
DRLHyper
Unregistered

Helsworth Wrote:

Lord Alexander Wrote:

The space elevator could be a force field that provides a secure, fast and frictionless medium neccessary for freight. The Wall of China has been built, destroyed and rebuilt a lot of times. I agree with Hyper that there should be an option to eliminate the project completely. Still a project halt option is realistic, it could provide a 3% project cost for halt maintenance.

I agree with this. Daumenhoch

23.09.2010 04:52
Lord Alexander
Comrade

DRLHyper Wrote:

Lord Alexander Wrote:

Well, maybe you can scrap it, this does not require a cost (say, you sell the scraps to pay for the demolition) or even if it does, you can cancel the project althogheter.

My idea is that you should be able to destroy, for example, your great wall, or rapid transport system. Even if this means paying the same amount of money you used to build it, I preffer doing that, and pay 20 bil once, and not paying 18 bil per quarter, which greatly affects my debt.

Such option will not be abused by prosperous states only if regents will not be allowed to start the same project again.

Helsworth Wrote:
The space elevator could be a force field that provides a secure, fast and frictionless medium neccessary for freight.

It is clear that high-tech machinery required for creation of such force field will require very complicated maintenance to stay in good condition. The same is true for all experimentation facilities that will be necessary for development of such technology. And the dissolution of original development teams will create some difficulties for the development too.

Quote:
The Wall of China has been built, destroyed and rebuilt a lot of times.

Traditional construction methods allowed such approach in case of the Great Wall of China, but this is not possible when the modern construction methods are used. It is even impossible to freeze the construction of a conventional skyscraper for few decades, and in case of future-tech projects difficulties will be much greater.

Quote:
I agree with Hyper that there should be an option to eliminate the project completely. Still a project halt option is realistic, it could provide a 3% project cost for halt maintenance.

Well, if there will be some additional expenses in case of freezing the project then it is a completely different story. I think it is a good idea. Applaus

This post was last modified: 23.09.2010 06:24 by Lord Alexander.

23.09.2010 06:19
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestions: Projects Malone 66 30,156 03.12.2014 19:42
Last Post: Gabriel Galt
  Change in Projects area JosephLJ 2 1,036 24.12.2012 23:10
Last Post: JosephLJ
  Multiple projects mrh112 2 1,146 26.04.2011 22:28
Last Post: Eloahisme