Post Reply  Post Thread 

Suggestion: Police State reform

Ajay Alcos
Unregistered

Suggestion: Police State reform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_state

Whereas the Totalitarianism reform transfers control of all societal apparatus to the state. I believe a Police State reform would allow regents to enact many of the tough security measures of 'Totalitarianism' while still guarantee the wider citizenry a veritable share of power (regents can still get deselected). In regards to statistics, I believe a 'Police State' reform should do the following:

• Massive decrease in petty offenses, capital crimes and shadow economy.
  • Large decrease in civil rights.
  • Very large increase in statism, discrimination and bureaucracy (as the state will need to expand its scope and involvement in maintaining social order).

In a way, a 'Police State' reform can be seen in other words as an 'Authoritarianism' construct in contrary with the 'Totalitarianism' reform. Examples such as the post-Soviet countries, the Middle-East, China, Africa, South-East Asia and previously South Korea & Taiwan have shown in more ways than one examples of how the state can still lever greater arbitrary control over society yet remains beholden to the expectations of its wider populace (e.g. the unspoken social contract in the PRC where the citizenry tolerate the forsaking of civil liberties in return for guaranteed security & economic growth). What are your thoughts?

13.04.2016 02:36
Quote this message in a reply
yangusbeef
Unregistered

RE: Suggestion: Police State reform

This should greatly increase extremism as well as an increase in expenditures and a decrease in income. The expenditures increase to fund the police state, and the income decreases due to people consuming less.

13.04.2016 04:13
Ajay Alcos
Unregistered

yangusbeef Wrote:
This should greatly increase extremism as well as an increase in expenditures and a decrease in income. The expenditures increase to fund the police state, and the income decreases due to people consuming less.

I agree absolutely agree with your first point. Another sensible idea would be a significant reduction of free-time as people will have to put up with various things common to a police state (e.g. roadblocks, police-checks, analysing permit validity). On your last point I also agree, but should stress that a correlative decrease in income/GDP and economic growth should be tied to the collapse of a regents international reputation. Linking in a collapse in consumption however perfectly realistic.

Obviously, enacting such a reform will dent a country's reputation, but it should also make it that much more harder for said nation's "int. reputation" to recover as other democracies, as sense would perceive, would not view a "police state" in same viewpoint as a state which is not. Rather only other dedicated authoritarian regimes would tend to maintain better relations with fellow authoritarian-ruled countries (barring any irredentism, disputes and such).

13.04.2016 09:15
Lord Alexander
Comrade

Words count: 238,210
Group: Basic
Experience: 616
Glory Points: 146
Medals: 4

As far as I know, currently neither the Totalitarism reform nor the Monarchy and Theocracy reforms actually protect the Regents from being deselected, so your proposal is unnecessary. In practice, the current version of the Totalitarism reform is actually milder than your interpretation of the Police State reform.

13.04.2016 12:05
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ajay Alcos
Unregistered

Lord Alexander Wrote:
As far as I know, currently neither the Totalitarism reform nor the Monarchy and Theocracy reforms actually protect the Regents from being deselected, so your proposal is unnecessary. In practice, the current version of the Totalitarism reform is actually milder than your interpretation of the Police State reform.

Really? Thats very strange. Shouldn't they then instead rename Totalitarianism to Authoritarianism?

13.04.2016 12:39
Lord Alexander
Comrade

Words count: 238,210
Group: Basic
Experience: 616
Glory Points: 146
Medals: 4

Ajay Alcos Wrote:
Really? Thats very strange. Shouldn't they then instead rename Totalitarianism to Authoritarianism?

Yes, of course then it will make much more sense. I wish you good luck in convincing Malone to actually do this. thumbsup

13.04.2016 13:09
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yangusbeef
Unregistered

Well, the good news is that it should greatly increase power influence. Such an act should make it possible to mold a state to the likeness of North Korea, a military dictatorship.

13.04.2016 13:14
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion: Education reform nike1155 2 1,241 24.10.2018 11:10
Last Post: Sylvia Stevens
  Liberalism Reform hamma13 4 1,055 13.02.2018 08:55
Last Post: hamma13
  Basic income reform hamma13 2 858 24.10.2017 15:34
Last Post: hamma13
  I have a suggestion! Alexei B.Miller 0 1,132 07.06.2017 03:41