Roby Lambourne
Autocratic Leader

Words count: 2,649
Group: Basic
Experience: 52
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Syria: Western Involvement

I think people here will be aware of the debating in western countries (UK, US and France in particular) that military intervention could be taken to prevent the Syrian government using chemical weapons against its own citizens.

That means western countries will make a bid to the UN security council to allow and support military action in Syria, but state they will take action even if the UN do not allow and support military intervention which has started a debate if the war would be legal or illegal.

Personally, I do not support military intervention as a person living in the UK not for 'human rights' and 'anti-war protester' but my stance is why should the UK bother sending armed forces, putting them in harms way for a country where the UK has no friends? I think Syria should be allowed to just carry on killing each other, they have not bothered any of the western countries or their citizens so intervention should not be supported by the UK, US or France as they are not a threat unless the governments make themselves a threat by invading or firing missiles from the sea.

The only countries who should have a solid case for intervention against the Syrian government are Lebanon, Turkey and Israel in my opinion as they have being at the receiving end of Syrian conflict.

What are other people's opinions on western intervention in Syria?

There's Daggers In men's smiles
29.08.2013 17:51
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Titian
Benevolently Watching You

Words count: 557,754
Experience: 1706
Glory Points: 1364680
Medals: 5643

RE: Syria: Western Involvement

Where are you from?

"If you grab them by their balls, their hearts and minds will follow." (Yes, Minister)

29.08.2013 18:49
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

There is in fact not evidence that Assad has been gassing his own people. And really, why would he? That is precisely what N.A.T.O. wants. In fact, considering among the rebels there is Al-Qaeda and other radical Islamist groups I would not be surprised if they started using chemical weapons and N.A.T.O.-friendly media spun the story around.

29.08.2013 18:51
Quote this message in a reply
Roby Lambourne
Autocratic Leader

Titian Wrote:
Where are you from?

I am from England.

29.08.2013 19:14
AXBENDER
Bob

Words count: 380
Experience: 12

Roby Lambourne Wrote:

Titian Wrote:
Where are you from?

I am from England.

well I guess you have to be from some were. BUT if you remember from the thirty's and forty's there was the same kind of talk. Leave it with those involved/ HITLER will never become a menace!!. ASSAD is an evil dictator just like the guy in the past/ he kills his own people and God knows how many others. He has to be stopped/ if not dictators like him will just continue to slaughter people and there are even worse things than Zion gas!!

29.08.2013 20:59
Roby Lambourne
Autocratic Leader

The Syrian government doesn't pose a threat to my country. While that remains the same the UK should not take any military action in a conflict where there are no friends of the UK on either side.

And parliament agrees, the government just lost the vote against enacting military intervention in Syria! Applaus

This post was last modified: 29.08.2013 22:37 by Roby Lambourne.

29.08.2013 22:28
Lord Weasel
Great Heavenly Supreme Eater of Rabbits

Words count: 66,104
Experience: 103889
Glory Points: 30
Medals: 2

Well I'm English also and want to distance myself from the comments of my countryman.

Syria is in a complete bind and if left to fight this war forever will impoverish itself. Furthermore Assad is another evil dictator.

The Americans are going to make a bad mess worse either way, the instability is in Israel's back yard so it seemed pretty likely that the US would get involved at some point. The trouble is I cannot think of a single country that US intervention has had a positive influence on since WW2. except perhaps Korea, and maybe Kosovo. Besides being a oil rich country the US's foreign policy dictates that they install new leaders every time the locals get restless with the old US backed leaders.

On the plus side, the Italians are probably going to war. There will be some comedy in this tragedy at least. Unleash Berlusconi. His Bunga Bunga surely counts as biological warfare. I DIGRESS. Assad and his regime was repressive, but a repressed person is probably better off than a person blown to pieces in the middle of a really shitty civil war split along primarily religious lines. Syria is ruined for the next 10 years at least.

without intervention it is going to take years to clear this mess up, and even then the infrastructure and education system will be fucked. The regime which comes out of it is going to be even more repressive and backward, stifling recovery as independent thought is crushed. If the rebels win they are a religious faction, which will probably install a nutty theocracy which will be equally repressive.

At least with some western intervention there will be a chance that liberal minded individuals might have something to do with the government after the dust settles.

The decision of the UK parliament was just another admission that Britain is no longer a world power.

03.09.2013 15:56
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

The proxy war is already being fought by the west. The rebels are being funded through countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia. The russian and chinese governments oppose a NATO intervention for obvious geopolitical reasons. Lets face it, a secular dictatorship sows a lot less evil than a fundamentalist one. Syria itself, in my opinion, does not exist. It's like Korea during the Cold War - a buffer region between two opposing geopolitical spheres.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
03.09.2013 16:37
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

Helsworth Wrote:
The proxy war is already being fought by the west. The rebels are being funded through countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia. The russian and chinese governments oppose a NATO intervention for obvious geopolitical reasons. Lets face it, a secular dictatorship sows a lot less evil than a fundamentalist one. Syria itself, in my opinion, does not exist. It's like Korea during the Cold War - a buffer region between two opposing geopolitical spheres.

Exactly. Among the rebels we find Al-Qaeda. What would be the consequences if they took over? Assad may be terrible in all accounts, but at the very least he is not killing people because they are from other religions or because they are not following Sharia Law.

03.09.2013 18:28
Quote this message in a reply
Duser600

Words count: 187
Experience: 31

[quote=Rising Phoenix]

You are correct, in the report published by the US, there is not a single piece of evidence that Assad used chemical weapons on his own people. The released 4 page document is 100% accusations and assumptions. But NATO is definitely not involved in the conflict, saying that they will not participate in any military intervention. US allies are pulling out of a military intervention, not entirely because of public opinion, but persuading the public on attacking a sovereign country based on no evidence of accusation. Even the US biggest ally the UK has backed out through a parliament vote.

I will end this comment by saying this. Assad is winning the war, previously on the defensive now gaining back territory. Using chemical weapons will be a green light for an attack on Syria and he will, depending on the intensity, instantly begin losing the war. Thus meaning, the Assad regime has absolutely no reason to use chemical weapons on his people because there will be no benefits, only massive consequences. Plus his conventional weapons seem to be more devastating than whatever he was accused of Groove

03.09.2013 23:45
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Trump commits an act of war against Syria Helsworth 9 2,242 13.04.2017 17:50
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Media ignoring leaked US Gov documents about Syria + Leaked audio with Kerry Helsworth 1 1,307 22.03.2017 21:55
Last Post: Sato
  Russia warships fire missiles, killing 30 western officers yangusbeef 0 1,107 21.09.2016 16:14
  United States military disaster in Syria yangusbeef 11 2,389 01.10.2015 03:59
  Tariq Ali discusses Syria on Democracy Now! Helsworth 0 1,423 04.09.2013 08:43
Last Post: Helsworth
Exclamation Example of incredibly perverse mutations of constructed Social Realities from Syria* Titian 1 1,171 03.09.2013 11:50
Last Post: Herman Cain
  Israel scratching its head after US officials (again) leak Syria strike Helsworth 0 1,068 16.07.2013 10:48
Last Post: Helsworth
  Teenager Executed By Islamist Rebels in Syria Helsworth 6 1,281 16.06.2013 16:13
Last Post: BaktoMakhno
  prosperous western regime versus soviet kleptocratic personality cult Khieu Samphan 0 1,466 28.04.2013 00:46
Last Post: Khieu Samphan
  "The Western powers divided Germany" Helsworth 27 6,457 04.07.2011 22:24
Last Post: Globaltom

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites