Task Emissions Trading

hamma13

Words count: 20,978
Group: Premium
Experience: 1446
Glory Points: 20
Medals: 2

Task Emissions Trading

It's a suggestion to improve - in my view - the emissions trading task and it concerns option 3 (excess taxation).

Currently it reads:
It would be less costly for consumers if we simply tax those emissions that exceed the limit and use this money for research on renewable energy. ...

I'd change it to:
It would be less costly for consumers if we simply tax (all/the) emissions and use this money for research on renewable energy. ...

Why? Emissions trading works with the cap idea while this is idea foreign to Lenkungssteuern (don't know the English term) such as environmental taxes (on fuel etc.) or health taxes (on tobacco, liquor etc.) which aim to internalise externalities. Thus there should not be a threshold of tax-free emissions but the tax should be applied to all emissions equally.

10.08.2017 12:59
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alexei B.Miller
Co President of the Ros'Gaz Union State

Words count: 515,575
Group: Basic
Experience: 6021
Glory Points: 525
Medals: 20

East Altai
Altai
RE: Task Emissions Trading

hamma13 Wrote:
It's a suggestion to improve - in my view - the emissions trading task and it concerns option 3 (excess taxation).

Currently it reads:
It would be less costly for consumers if we simply tax those emissions that exceed the limit and use this money for research on renewable energy. ...

I'd change it to:
It would be less costly for consumers if we simply tax (all/the) emissions and use this money for research on renewable energy. ...

Why? Emissions trading works with the cap idea while this is idea foreign to Lenkungssteuern (don't know the English term) such as environmental taxes (on fuel etc.) or health taxes (on tobacco, liquor etc.) which aim to internalise externalities. Thus there should not be a threshold of tax-free emissions but the tax should be applied to all emissions equally.

Please further elaborate, you advocate to merely change the verbiage? Or since the verbiage would be strengthen do you also seek to increase environmental benefit? Naturally such a task should carry immediate impacts to industry/economy since the cost of doing business would go up if producing emissions are now treated as an expense. Perhaps increase cost of living or something like that since this cost would be passed to the consumer.

"Hitler wanted to destroy Russia, everyone needs to remember how that ended"

Vladimir Putin

23.08.2017 23:31
hamma13

Words count: 20,978
Group: Premium
Experience: 1446
Glory Points: 20
Medals: 2

RE: Task Emissions Trading

Alexei B.Miller Wrote:
Please further elaborate ...

The main difference is that taxing only excess emission does not give those emitters an incentive to reduce emissions, who do not exceed the cap while taxing all emissions would provide that incentive to everybody who emits. Whether it is more costly depends on the tax rate. Since the base of the tax - excess emissions vs all emissions - becomes broader, a lower tax rate is needed to generate the same revenue. Same tax rate would produce higher revenue. I can't tell you how this should/would affect parameters of the game since I don't know how the existing options affect them. Overall I would say that taxing all emissions with a lower tax rate (revenue neutral) would yield similar results environmentally while reducing distorting effects on the economy. Thus it would be a more efficient way of protecting the environment.

24.08.2017 09:31
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Task Freedom to Strike hamma13 1 860 24.10.2018 11:07
Last Post: Sylvia Stevens
  Task Tuition fees hamma13 1 745 24.10.2018 11:01
Last Post: Sylvia Stevens
  Task Polygamy hamma13 3 744 13.02.2018 10:43
Last Post: MrProper
  Task Labor Unions hamma13 1 968 05.10.2017 16:11
Last Post: MrProper
  Task Electricity Tariff (Economy, Infrastructure) hamma13 2 913 14.07.2017 03:46
Last Post: Alexei B.Miller
  Task Suggestion: Anonymous Witnesses TheStudentofA 1 1,231 10.11.2015 15:56
Last Post: Helsworth
  Task sugestion: Staple goods Ardar 2 1,207 09.09.2015 20:03
  Insults Task Roger Mexico 1 917 07.07.2015 10:09
  Suggestion reform/task: Land Value Tax Helsworth 2 1,168 30.11.2014 17:25
  catacombs task Lord Weasel 4 1,260 12.10.2012 20:04
Last Post: Sheep

View a Printable Version