Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

The marketting methods of New Age 'thinkers'

Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

The marketting methods of New Age 'thinkers'

In my on-going battle to prove that spirituality is a lie, I have come into contact with a variety of texts. These are relatively rare, considering most of the pro-New Age propaganda that is found on the internet, I can state these were relatively rare finds.

The specific important point I would like to make is that, despite my initial reservations, Helsworth and his LaRouchian conspiracy theories may have some slices of truth in them. How? Well, let me quote some of the mentioned texts:

Quote:
[...]As several commentators have noted, there is little in Morgan’s texts that resemble the knowledge and laws of any indigenous Australian nation (Sitka; Stanton). In her 1994 review, Francoise Dussart writes: ‘Mutant Message is not about them [Aboriginal people] but about a pseudo New Age vision of a “them” by an un-rigorous member of our own Western tribes. If this book has any message at all it is Morgan’s alone’ (5). Not only is the story of Morgan’s kidnapping and journey in the first book a fabrication, so too is the cosmology at the heart of both books. After stripping this away, what remains is a mishmash of vague, unsophisticated dictums about personal growth, self-healing and environmental awareness. Despite this, the book’s message offers an interesting insight into her phenomenal commercial success. After all, there is nothing especially confronting or demanding about these ideas. The dictum that the ‘Real People’ ‘hope we will re-evaluate our material possessions and adapt them accordingly’ offers little more than reassurance and encouragement to think before you consume. As such, these books ultimately amount to a non-confronting affirmation of comfortable middle-class values of materialism tempered with ethical consumption. Despite her own repeated insistence on the importance of protecting the ‘Real People Tribe’, there is certainly no encouragement for individuals to become involved in activism that may alleviate the plight of indigenous people.[...]

[...]Marion Bowman’s research into the uses of ‘Celticity’ offers some important insights here. She demonstrates how Celtic cultures which were once pitied, despised and patronised for not being mainstream ‘are now seen as less tainted, as repositories of a spirituality, a sense of tradition, a oneness with nature that has elsewhere been lost’ (Bowman, ‘Cardiac Celts’ 243). She argues that apparently archaic ideas embedded within primitivism, such as the Golden Age and the Noble Savage, have been adopted in New Age and Pagan circles (243; see also Piggot 30). Bowman’s work concentrates on Celticity, but is equally applicable to the increasing fascination with other ‘primitive’ or ‘savage’ cultures. Her work draws from and fits within the research conducted by Colin Campbell, who argues that Romanticism is the most likely source of an ‘ethic’ that legitimated a ‘spirit’ of modern consumerism (see Campbell 279-96). In this context, the Noble Savage grew into a kind of ‘spiritual and intellectual alter ego of urban industrial’ life offering a glorified pre-industrial/pre-capitalist vision of rural or primitive life. With this shift in emphasis, Bowman argues, there has been a corresponding shift in the way that the past is viewed, to the point where it is seen as a Golden Age: a time when life was simpler, purer, more natural, harmonious and, consequently, more authentic. This view is particularly true of those versions of New Age philosophy which turn to the past to extract knowledge and wisdom that will help them re-establish their lost relationship with nature, the earth and, eventually, themselves. Indigenous peoples and cultures are particularly useful in this respect because they are seen as living keepers or holders of ancient knowledge and wisdom. In other words, ‘primitive’ indigenous people are seen as intercessors between the present and the past. In addition, access to ‘primitive’ culture offers access to a marginal existence that is, by definition, significantly distanced from a mainstream audience that was, of course, the cause of the original disaffection. Ultimately primitivism offers a place untouched by the corrupting influences of industrialisation, capitalism, consumerism and materialism. The inescapable irony here is that this very act of consumption simply replicates the capitalist imperial project.[...]

Source: http://marlomorgan.wordpress.com/helping...l-culture/

04.12.2011 08:56
Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

RE: The marketting methods of New Age 'thinkers'

Well I've been against the New Age movement since I was a teen, when I was struggling to find truth in the various historical beliefs systems since shamanism to the present. While the idea of the noble savage may seem better than the idea of the compuslive consumerist citizen, they are both disgusting. You cannot care about your fellow human being, regardless of where he is by supporting primitivism and the present level of population globally and in individual territories cannot be sustained under a pimitivist social organization.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
04.12.2011 09:45
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

The reason I am against New Age is simple: Almost everything (when it is not everything) they say is a lie. Even their gods are a lie. Did we not disprove gods of rain hundreds of years ago?, if so, why are these people claiming to be pro-science? That is such a funny statement, lol. I do not remember where, but I read that a neopagan considered herself to be "a huge fan of science". If so, why does she worship imaginary beings, which even she knows to be imaginary? It makes no sense.

Another thing about New Agers is that "nature = good" and "machine = bad". This is one of the utmost idiotic statements I have ever seen. Seriously, we all acknowledge that big pharmaceutical companies are fools only interested in money; but even they have to acknowledge certain standards. You have the safeguard that, when you ingest a pill made by a big company, if anything happens to you not stated in their product case you can file a lawsuit against them, which would be detrimental to profits (it is still possible and probably has happened a bunch of times already, but the key concept is that in the end you would end too being rich).

When you try alternative medicine you are literally risking your life. There is a reason why doctors advice against eating 'magical' beans. Or 'self prescription' (a.k.a. 'self-healing').

The entire argument for quamtum physics new agers invoke is also bogus. I specially must opposse it because just considering yourself greater, does not makes you greater.

http://forgottenword.org/newspirituality.html#_ftn5

05.12.2011 00:52
Lord Weasel
Great Heavenly Supreme Eater of Rabbits

Words count: 66,104
Group: Basic
Experience: 103889
Glory Points: 30
Medals: 2

New age is just a joke, psycho-babble about crystals and crap.

I have spoken to people who identify themselves as pagan and the reason they give for their beliefs is that the power of faith and belief is something which enhances their lives. So whilst they realise they are talking rubbish, they do not feel that they wish to lose the sense of belonging to something and love which Christianity grants to its followers.

05.12.2011 02:40
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

I get that, but would not being part of just a more liberal Chruch would do? Why resort to being a convention artist and follow beliefs you do not really want to? Kopfkratz

05.12.2011 02:45
Helsworth
Heathen

The problem is much more entrenched than that. My geopolotics professor for instance is loaded with the bullshit from the american self-asteem movement. He's an adept of euphemistic language and he even practices esoteric, laughable rituals, like drinking half a cup of water in the night then the other half in the morning in order for the "Universe" to tell him what decisions to make, when he cannot decide. The man's a doctor in foreign relations for heaven's sake. Man how I hate idolatry and superstition, not only in politics or social science, but in all domains including religion. Our own lives, life in general and God need to be pursued intellectually, not through the fallacy of mystical post hoc ergo propter hoc.

05.12.2011 07:51
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

Yes, that is the problem. It is has become part of the modern culture. The people have a firm belief in it, even when it goes against their own religion.

Another issue I see, is how marketted the product is. Yoga, palm reading, 'inner growth', 'self discovery', 'do you know yourself?' (<< Why the heck do people that this statement seriously is beyond my reasoning capacity), and other such stuff. At the end of the day, what they want to instill is the classic "buy this, buy that!" message -- which ironically, new agers go on to condemn in the same books they sell.

Heck, some of this scrap has gone as far as being accepted as academically proven. "Mutant Message Down Under" -- The very book which I quoted (& critiziced) at the beggining of this thread is a requirement on several US Universities regarding Aboriginal and Australian studies.

05.12.2011 09:21
Nietzsche
Unregistered

Helsworth Wrote:
He's an adept of euphemistic language and he even practices esoteric, laughable rituals, like drinking half a cup of water in the night then the other half in the morning in order for the "Universe" to tell him what decisions to make, when he cannot decide.

Not that I think the Universe will answer him but, where exactly is the problem with that?

I've always considered myself quite the scientific-thinking person (seriously, if the easter bunny was some kind of omnipotent bringer of joy, why would it gift me such crap? It must have been someone from earth. Hehe) but I think I'm getting what some of those "New Agers" try to achieve.

They are just desperate and unhappy with their lives, a problem most people experience and find different ways to deal with it. So they find a channel to get away from that, for a "bum" it might be alcohol, for an academic it might be New Age.
If that professor has an easier time deciding in the morning after his ritual, well, good for him! He's still a professor and bringing society forth, let him think what he likes. Telling those "New Age"-Guys their "believes" are stupid is as wrong as telling a member of another religion his believes are stupid. (not that I want to say someone here did that, no outrage please)

Mankind is prone to religion. Everybody believes in something, and who tells me he/she believes in nothing really is either mad or a liar. I guess in the past 200 years or even more so in the past 50 years science has disposed of most of the "riddles". This has left a huge gap in the minds and imagination of people. Now people try to fill these gaps... but because not all of them are plain stupid they try to bring it together with their scientific ways... like this strange "Intelligent Design" (which I hate) or the "New Age Movement".

But still I wouldn't dispose those people too quickly. I think having something to dream about or better to say - something to wonder about is as important as having the right (or at least the feeling) to be an important individual in your state (by being able to vote).
For both things, people fight in many different ways, have done so in the past and will do so in the future.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." and as always, someone before me has said it without having to use a whole page.

btw. Helsworth I've used your quote to get started, but then got into some kind of rush, the post is not a morale sermon for you or something, just my thoughts on the topic. Smile

05.12.2011 09:51
Helsworth
Heathen

An other thing advocated by these new age idiots which I abhor is their claim that the values thought to us by our parents are wrong, that we are wired out wrong. They preach that modesty, learning, hard work, truth are wrong and that only they have the answers. Basically what these guys are saying is that what's left of culture in the contemporary world, that draws from renaiscenist and stoic principles are wrong.

05.12.2011 09:55
Nietzsche
Unregistered

Hm yes I still think you are stigmatizing a little too harsh here...

For one, some people are making a lot of money with selling books and stuff about New Age. Like all those "The World will End in [insert random year here]"-books. Thus many of the writers or publishers of New Age literature appear to be quite smart... and also some kind of criminal for abusing the longing of people for an easier answer to the secrets of life than science is offering them.

Then there will be the "moderate" followers of New Age ideas... and the fanatical ones. Basically I'd say the moderate ones and fanatical ones are not different to any moderate or fanatical follower of Christian religion, so what's the point in calling the New Age people idiots?

TV-Shows or well-written books which explain modern Physics (or Astrophysics, those are always bestsellers!) still find a huge majority of people, I believe because the common person doesn't know about the way life and the universe really works, not everybody can study physics or chemistry.
That at least to me is a clear proof for what said above: People just want answers. And answers they can understand, not some dusty tomes someone has written 200 years ago in odd language. Any answers will fit for them... it only depends on the way you promote it.

05.12.2011 10:00
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites