Independent

Words count: 367,394
Group: Basic
Experience: 178
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

The Monarchy

Is it relevant? I think that wedding was adorable! Big Grin

Still, politically, does it really matter?

Politics has no relation to morals.
The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
The Prince- A dedication and political maneuver by Niccolo Machiavelli to prove his advice's value to the maintenance of the ruling Florentine Medici Political force.
30.04.2011 00:30
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OVERSIER
Emperor

Words count: 35,739
Experience: 146

RE: The Monarchy

No it is not relevant .

I hope royals get killed because they cost 500 million p/y to the British tax payers and do absolutely nothing .

Came , saw , conquered .
Julius Caesar

This post was last modified: 30.04.2011 03:03 by OVERSIER.

30.04.2011 03:02
Uggla6

Words count: 18,071
Experience: 186
Glory Points: 90
Medals: 6

nope the limited monarchy has become a showcase monarchy. they have no power what so ever. @oversier wow thats rough.

btw does annyone know kinda how the monarchy became nothing (i know how the parliment came to be and those revolts in the Oliver cromwell era but after it became limited like what is was during the Napoleonic era to its present)

Bragging time:
-Been in 3 of 4 most violent worlds (Kopenhagen, Denver, Tokoyo)
-Been in 6 top 10 allainces (World Denver, YAWA, Utopia, resistance, IWDAWH, and Security Council)
-Austragula......just look at it!(almost 9000 strength/positive budget) NO DESELECTION
- 3 Medals
30.04.2011 03:56
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

OVERSIER Wrote:
No it is not relevant .

I hope royals get killed because they cost 500 million p/y to the British tax payers and do absolutely nothing .

Agree to that bro.
@Ugla
I don't think they have no power whatsover. The military makes the oath of alligience to the monarch, not to parliament. So if a mad monarch were to come and have a decent popular support, he would actually have a shit load of power, especially considering that the UK has no written constitution.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
30.04.2011 08:37
Commissar
Christian

Words count: 245,807
Experience: 169

Oversier says: "No it is not relevant. I hope royals get killed because they cost 500 million p/y to the British tax payers and do absolutely nothing."

Well, you just mentioned that the wedding of William and Kate has costed the British citizens hundreds of millions of pounds. That's a lot of money at their disposal, which suggests they are still quite relevant.

The royal family could have used their own vast personal wealth to pay for the wedding and not place the expense on the average worker during this global recession. I think given a referendum, the Brits would not favor paying for this wedding. I agree with Helsworth that the royal family is still influential.

"...while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Romans 5:10-11)
30.04.2011 08:59
Triniteras
Unregistered

Commissar Wrote:
The royal family could have used their own vast personal wealth to pay for the wedding and not place the expense on the average worker during this global recession.

They could have, but then they would not have such an opportunity for mass distraction.

30.04.2011 09:35
Quote this message in a reply
Globaltom
Alter Recke

Words count: 1,086,576
Experience: 783
Glory Points: 330
Medals: 12

Suedparadies

OVERSIER Wrote:
No it is not relevant .

My god are you one of that sucking bolsheviks.

Do you know theire termplan ?
They do not less than you ( maybe more).

And bzw. the marriage is deffinitly financed by the
tourists and TV stations. maybee it makes winn Smile

Briefwähler

This post was last modified: 04.05.2011 12:48 by Globaltom.

30.04.2011 14:11
Triniteras
Unregistered

Globaltom Wrote:
Do you know theire termplan ?
They do not less than you ( maybe more).

He's right, the royal family is nothing compared to the cost of corruption within the United States, regardless of wether it is funded by "the tourists and TV stations". I think we should pay them to spend part of the year living in the United States, on the taxpayers money. If we can increase taxes to pay for their blatantly modest living, maybe it will be less money for the corporations to use in union-busting and tax avoidance. We could encourage them to have children here with similar rights, and set up a class of nobles to engage in meager competition of interests with the corporations. Besides the money going into extravagance instead of the military-industrial complex, they will also be less likely to rob us.

30.04.2011 15:27
Quote this message in a reply
VincentNikolai
Independent

Words count: 367,394
Experience: 178

It'd be interesting to have a modern monarchy with that type of political influence in world affairs.

Also for the sake of pissing a few people off. I think the monarchy would do a better job than the parliament.

Politics has no relation to morals.
The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
The Prince- A dedication and political maneuver by Niccolo Machiavelli to prove his advice's value to the maintenance of the ruling Florentine Medici Political force.

This post was last modified: 30.04.2011 16:35 by VincentNikolai.

30.04.2011 16:22
Lord Weasel
Great Heavenly Supreme Eater of Rabbits

Words count: 66,104
Experience: 103889
Glory Points: 30
Medals: 2

I think the monarchy is a tool, it is a circus rolled out to entertain the masses and distract people. The pomp, fanfare and ceremony exudes a false sense of Britishness for people to hold on to and rally around. In a sense they are therefore relevant as they act as a figurehead for a large portion of the nation.

I think it is an interesting coincidence that the royal wedding fell after severe budget cuts and before the referendum on AV.

I don't think that England should get rid of the monarchy entirely, but I do think that they should have the amount of land they own and their benefits cut down to size.

To say that a monarchy could do better than parliament at government is to ignore hundreds of years of history.

This post was last modified: 01.05.2011 00:44 by Lord Weasel.

01.05.2011 00:43
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Concept of Monarchy StatlerNWaldorf 23 3,109 29.07.2013 23:31
Last Post: Herman Cain
  How would the world be different if Russia was still a monarchy Peter The Great 30 7,514 14.02.2012 23:14
Last Post: PredWilson
  Opinion on the British Monarchy DarthV1 34 6,320 12.02.2012 18:24
Last Post: PredWilson

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites