Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

The Quantity Theory of Money: A Critique

“The quantity theory of money is based on two propositions. First, in the long run, there is proportionality between money growth and inflation, i.e., when money growth increases by x% inflation also rises by x% .... We subjected these statements to empirical tests using a sample which covers most countries in the world during the last 30 years. Our findings can be summarized as follows. First, when analyzing the full sample of countries, we find a strong positive relation between the long-run growth rate of money and inflation. However, this relation is not proportional. Our second finding is that this strong link between inflation and money growth is almost wholly due to the presence of high-inflation or hyperinflation countries in the sample. The relation between inflation and money growth for low-inflation countries (on average less than 10% per year over 30 years) is weak, if not absent” (De Grauwe and Polan 2005: 256).

“Our results have some implications for the question regarding the use of the money stock as an intermediate target in monetary policy …. The ECB bases this strategy on the view that ‘‘inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon.’’ This may be true for high-inflation countries. Our results, however, indicate that there is no evidence for this statement in relatively low-inflation environments … In these environments, money growth is not a useful signal of inflationary conditions, because it is dominated by ‘‘noise’’ originating from velocity shocks. It also follows that the use of the money stock as a guide for steering policies towards price stability is not likely to be useful for countries with a history of low inflation” (De Grauwe and Polan 2005: 258).

“the point made by endogenous money theorists is that we don’t live in a fiat-money system, but in a credit-money system which has had a relatively small and subservient fiat money system tacked onto it …. Calling our current financial system a “fiat money” or “fractional reserve banking system” is akin to the blind man who classified an elephant as a snake, because he felt its trunk. We live in a credit money system with a fiat money subsystem that has some independence, but certainly doesn’t rule the monetary roost—far from it.”
Steve Keen, “The Roving Cavaliers of Credit,” Debt Watch, January 31st, 2009

Milton Friedman changed his mind. “The use of quantity of money as a target has not been a success,” concedes the grand old man of conservative economics. “I’m not sure I would as of today push it as hard as I once did.
Simon London, “Lunch with the FT – Milton Friedman,” Financial Times (7 June 2003)

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 18.01.2017 20:33 by Helsworth.

18.01.2017 20:30
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VineFynn
Lord Protector

Words count: 14,196
Group: Basic
Experience: 132
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: The Quantity Theory of Money: A Critique

"The Quantity Theory of Money: Other People's Critiques"

I'm leaving and probably never coming back, so thanks for the interesting discussions I guess, dunno why im writing this nobody even irl gives a toss about me anyway
18.01.2017 23:24
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Money Growth Does Not Cause Inflation! Helsworth 18 6,334 26.09.2017 02:04
Last Post: Hilder
  Why Positive Money is wrong, by Mike King Helsworth 2 1,854 16.07.2016 08:33
Last Post: Helsworth
  Money & the Myth of Barter Helsworth 0 1,453 09.03.2016 18:26
  How Modern Money Theory Replies to Hyperinflation Hyperventilators Helsworth 0 2,460 11.02.2015 17:45
  How to turn litter into money, all about debt, deficits, and economic policy Helsworth 0 2,955 13.12.2014 21:18
  Critique of Thomas Piketty's Capital, Yanis Varoufakis Helsworth 0 1,526 08.12.2014 18:36
  Philip Pilkington: Krugman Still Wrong on Monetary Theory (Loanable Funds Edition) Helsworth 0 1,654 16.09.2014 09:28
  Steve Keen destroys neoliberalism via Modern Monetary Theory Helsworth 0 1,794 11.09.2014 15:24
  Why Central Banks Should Give Money Directly to the People Helsworth 0 1,642 05.09.2014 19:28
  Money is destroyed when loans are repaid Helsworth 2 2,766 20.08.2014 20:23

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites