Post Reply  Post Thread 

The Religious Affilliations of US Congressional Members

StatlerNWaldorf
Unregistered

The Religious Affilliations of US Congressional Members

BuzzFeed has mapped out the religions of the 435 members of the U.S. House of Representatives by their districts, according to how they have publicly identified themselves as well as statements their spokespeople have made to BuzzFeed.

There are 31 religions represented in the House, including 26 different sects of Christianity. Catholics make up the largest group with 136 members, followed by Baptists with 66 members, Methodists with 45 members, Anglicans/Episcopalians with 35 members, Presbyterians with 28 members, and Jews with 22 members. There is only one atheist.

The majority of Catholics and Jews are Democrats, and the majority of Anglicans/Episcopalians, Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Mormons. and Presbyterians are Republican. Among religions with more than more than five seats, Jews are the most partisan; 21 of the 22 Jews are Democrats. Mormons are the second most partisan; seven of the eight Mormons are Republicans.

Other than states with a single seat, Idaho and Utah are the only states to be represented exclusively by a single religion.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/ma...-belong-to

20.08.2013 02:11
Quote this message in a reply
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

RE: The Religious Affilliations of US Congressional Members

A problem is that a lot of the Christians are conservatives (reactionaries, more properly) and the moderates are not even properly informed. This happens not only in the U.S.A. but outside of it.

20.08.2013 14:04
MarcusAquila

Words count: 18,923
Group: Basic
Experience: 50
Glory Points: 25
Medals: 2

I wouldn't say that most American Christians are reactionaries (that is just what the media feeds) but rather they are apathetic. Surprisingly, it is American Christians who, as a whole, observe fairly well the Separation of Church/State. Yes, there are SMALL ISOLATED groups that are loud but considering that some 50-70% of Americans identify as a Christian (150-200 million people) and many of these are Democratic/Progressive it is not accurate to say that American Christians are conservative nor reactionaries. Just look at Hispanic populations. They are nearly all Catholic and Democrat as well. Nearly all mainstream denominations are Democratic with several actively supporting far-left positions like gay marriage and increased welfare.

The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone.
Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD.
William Lloyd Garrison
21.08.2013 22:25
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

I did not say 'most', just 'a lot'... Consider this:
  • A lot of religious people support gay marriage, but call it a 'choice'. That is conservativism. They accept homosexual people, but they reject the idea of sexuality as a non-choice.
  • Some people want to remove homosexual marriage laws. This is a reactionary position (a conservative position would be to limit further LGBT progress, not revert it).
  • A requirement to serve in various branches of the U.S.A. armed forces is based on your answer about various religious questions ("do you believe your life has a purpose?" is one of them).
This is the stuff I am talking about. Removing the reactionaries, you still have a lot of religious pervasion and you still have religious moderates not grasping concepts adequately.

21.08.2013 22:40
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kissinger and the CIA discussed ways to limit Congressional inquiry Helsworth 0 1,239 06.04.2017 13:45
Last Post: Helsworth
  Coalition members and their contributions against the Islamic State rebels dragonflare88 0 1,166 27.07.2015 03:09
Last Post: dragonflare88
  The History of the Devil --about religious and political crimes and bullshit-- Helsworth 0 1,705 22.11.2012 16:29
Last Post: Helsworth

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites