General Secretary

Words count: 44,838
Group: Basic
Experience: 61
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Toledo, Ohio Mayoral Election

http://nbc24.com/news/local/meet-the-may...opal-covey

Ohio mayoral candidate Opal Covey last week began ranting in tongues against a local radio station host. Covey has followed up that deliriousness in an interview with Toledo’s NBC affiliate in which she warns that God will “visit destruction” upon the city if she isn’t elected. From their report:

Covey is running for the fifth time and feels she has been robbed of votes as part of what she believes to be ongoing corruption in city government. “I’ve run four times, this will be my fifth,” Covey said. “I won the election in 2013 – it might be a shock to you, but not to a lot of people because my votes have been stolen ever since I’ve been running.” Prior to the conclusion of the interview Covey was asked if there was anything else she would like to add. After pausing, Covey said, “great destruction will come upon…” and began to speak in tongues, followed by, “Thank you, Jesus. That was a confirmation, if people don’t give me what I earned in 2013 back, and I’m not on that seat in November, then you’ll see God visit the city in the greatest destruction you’ve ever seen.”

https://securemedia.iheart.com/media/sta...823053.mp4

This post was last modified: 21.10.2015 19:20 by Edvard Kardelj.

21.10.2015 19:16
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

RE: Toledo, Ohio Mayoral Election

Some people are just plain fucking evil & stupid.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
21.10.2015 19:40
Edvard Kardelj
General Secretary

This is why I love politics, Helsworth.

I remember in the 1990's, there was this guy named Prophet Atlantis. That was his real name. He ran for just about every local office. Mayor, city council, coroner, judge, director of public works, sheriff. He was always on the ballot, every single election cycle.

They publish these Voters Guides where each candidate has a little blurb and a picture of themselves, presenting reasons why you should vote for them. Prophet Atlantis' bio informed voters that he was schizophrenic, which makes him overqualified for the position he's running for. The rest of the blurb varied depending on the year and whatever hallucination he was having at the time he wrote it before submitting the bio to the Secretary of State's Elections Board.

I faithfully voted for Atlantis each and every opportunity I got.

21.10.2015 20:04
Helsworth
Heathen

LoL, you were feeding his dementia. But I would do it too just for the lolz.

21.10.2015 20:35
debauchery

Words count: 21,901
Experience: 0

Helsworth Wrote:

Hold on now, my evil is layered and complex. And I want you to include MMT in it. Han Fei+MMT

21.10.2015 22:31
Helsworth
Heathen

debauchery Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:

Hold on now, my evil is layered and complex. And I want you to include MMT in it. Han Fei+MMT

Sure thing. Wink

21.10.2015 22:36
debauchery

Words count: 21,901
Experience: 0

Helsworth Wrote:
Sure thing. Wink

I expect your assistance with this. Mixing Fa-Jia with MMT may prove both amusing and contributive to political thought.

And your sarcasm is unwarranted. MMT isn't always the end-all solution. Sometimes you need martial law.
Including both together in a manual will be good for when the United States collapses. Then we can have a sensible MMT economy backed up by the power and truth of Absolutism, which I will point out that Putin's version is better than our nonsensical democracy, and well-proven rule of law.

And finally if anyone can do research on actual Russian Tsarism or German state capitalism or something, might be able to throw that in too. Or the better parts of Communism. Or that technocracy bullshit.

This post was last modified: 21.10.2015 23:54 by debauchery.

21.10.2015 23:40
Helsworth
Heathen

debauchery Wrote:

Helsworth Wrote:
Sure thing. Wink

I expect your assistance with this. Mixing Fa-Jia with MMT may prove both amusing and contributive to political thought.

And your sarcasm is unwarranted. MMT isn't always the end-all solution. Sometimes you need martial law.
Including both together in a manual will be good for when the United States collapses. Then we can have a sensible MMT economy backed up by the power and truth of Absolutism, which I will point out that Putin's version is better than our nonsensical democracy, and well-proven rule of law.

And finally if anyone can do research on actual Russian Tsarism or German state capitalism or something, might be able to throw that in too. Or the better parts of Communism. Or that technocracy bullshit.

The ability to enforce public obligations on people is what drives fiat money. The authority, ultimately, has to have penalties in place & the ability to enforce those penalties for those that don't pay their taxes & fines - if the currency is to have any value. And no, I wasn't being sarcastic whatsoever in my above reply.

Being with this, Chapter 1 of Lerner’s 1951 book The Economics of Employment, was really a rewritten version of the 1941 article The Economic Steering Wheel where he elaborated his version of Keynesian thinking. He began the book as such (1951: 3-5):

Quote:
Our economic system is frequently put to shame in being displayed before an imaginary visitor from a strange planet. It is time to reverse the procedure. Imagine yourself instead in a Buck Rogers interplanetary adventure, looking at a highway in a City of Tomorrow. The highway is wide and straight, and its edges are turned up so that it is almost impossible for a car to run off the road. What appears to be a runaway car is speeding along the road and veering off to one side. As it approaches the rising edge of the highway, its front wheels are turned so that it gets back onto the road and goes off at an angle, making for the other side, where the wheels are turned again. This happens many times, the car zigzagging but keeping on the highway until it is out of sight. You are wondering how long it will take for it to crash, when another car appears which behaves in the same fashion. When it comes near you it stops with a jerk. A door is opened, and an occupant asks whether you would like a lift. You look into the car and before you can control yourself you cry out, “Why! There’s no steering wheel!”

“Of course we have no steering wheel!” says one of the occupants rather crossly. “Just think how it would cramp the front seat. It is worse than an old-fashioned gear-shift lever and it is dangerous. Suppose we had a steering wheel and somebody held on to it when we reached a curb! He would prevent the automatic turning of the wheel, and the car would surely be overturned! And besides, we believe in democracy and cannot give anyone the extreme authority of life and death over all the occupants of the care. That would be dictatorship.”

“Down with dictatorship!” chorus the other occupants of the car.

“If you are worried about the way the car goes from side to side,” continues the first speaker, “forget it! We have wonderful brakes so that collisions are prevented nine times out of ten. On our better roads the curb is so effective that one can travel hundreds of miles without going off the road once. We have a very efficient system of carrying survivors of wrecks to nearby hospitals and for rapidly sweeping the remnants from the road to deposit them on nearby fields as a reminder to man of the inevitability.”

You look around to see the piles of wrecks and burned-out automobiles as the man in the car continues. “Impressive, isn’t it. But things are going to improve. See those men marking and photographing the tracks of the car that preceded us? They are going to take those pictures into their laboratories and pictures of our tracks, too, to analyze the cyclical characteristics of the curves, their degree of regularity, the average distance from turn to turn, the amplitude of the swings, and so on. When they have come to an agreement on their true nature we may know whether something can be done about it. At present they are disputing whether this cyclical movement is due to the type of road surface or to its shape or whether it is due to the length of the car or to the kind of rubber in the tires or to the weather. Some of them think that it will be impossible to avoid having cycles unless we go back to the horse and buggy, but we can’t do that because we believe in Progress. Well, want a ride?”

Lerner thought that the government should always use its capacity to achieve full employment and price stability. In modern monetary theory (MMT) we express this responsibility as “advancing public purpose”. In his 1943 article (page 39) we read:

Quote:
The central idea is that government fiscal policy, its spending and taxing, its borrowing and repayment of loans, its issue of new money and its withdrawal of money, shall all be undertaken with an eye only to the results of these actions on the economy and not to any established traditional doctrine about what is sound and what is unsound. This principle of judging only by effects has been applied in many other fields of human activity, where it is known as the method of science opposed to scholasticism. The principle of judging fiscal measures by the way they work or function in the economy we may call Functional Finance …

Government should adjust its rates of expenditure and taxation such that total spending in the economy is neither more nor less than that which is sufficient to purchase the full employment level of output at current prices. If this means there is a deficit, greater borrowing, “printing money,” etc., then these things in themselves are neither good nor bad, they are simply the means to the desired ends of full employment and price stability …

In this Biography of Lerner you read the following (pages 218-19):

Quote:
In 1943 Lerner published an article, “Functional Finance and the Federal Debt,” that announced a new approach to fiscal policy. (The subject was further developed in his Economics of Control and the Economics of Employment.) He noted that conventional fiscal wisdom was based on the principles and morals of good household management: don’t spend what you don’t have – a tacit reminder that the words “economy” and “economics” are etymologically derived from oikos, the Greek word for household.

Lerner, however, picking up on the summary Keynesian prescription of deficit spending, argued that governments should not be concerned with conventional morality but rather should consider only the results of their actions. The aim of government spending and taxing, he said, should be to hold the economy’s total spending at a level compatible with and conducive to full employment at current prices – in other words, no unemployment and no inflation. In doing this the government should not be concerned with deficits or debt. Second, the government should borrow or repay only insofar as it wants to change the proportions in which the public holds securities or money. Changing this proportion will raise or lower interest rates and hence discourage or promote investment and credit purchasing. If the only question, then, was how to finance a deficit, Lerner advocated printing money. Third, the government should put money into circulation or withdraw (and destroy) it as needed to effect the results called for by the first two principles.

In his 1943 article Lerner says (page 355) that the government would only issue debt “if otherwise the rate of interest would be too low”. So you start to understand that the “borrowing” is a monetary operation not a funding necessity. He went further on this theme in his 1951 book when he says (pages 10-11) that the:

Quote:
… spending of money … out of deficits keeps on increasing the stock of money (and bank reserves) and this keeps on pushing down the rate of interest. Somehow the government must prevent the rate of interest from being pushed down by the additions to the stock of money coming from its own expenditures … There is an obvious way of doing this. The government can borrow back the money it is spending (emphasis in original).

And for those progressives (the deficit-doves) – the “proponents of organized prosperity”, Lerner had this to say in his 1951 book (page 15).

Quote:
A kind of timidity makes them shrink from saying anything that might shock the respectable upholders of traditional doctrine and tempts them to disguise the new doctrine so that it might be easily mistaken for the old. This does not help much, for they are soon found out, and it hinders them because, in endeavoring to make the new doctrine appear harmless in the eyes of the upholders of tradition, they often damage their case. Thus instead of saying that the size of the national debt is of no great concern … [and] … that the budget may have to be unbalanced and that this is insignificant when compared with the attainment of prosperity, it is proposed to disguise an unbalanced budget (and therefore the size of the national debt) by having an elaborate system of annual, cyclical, capital, and other special budgets.

On the next page (p.16) Lerner addressed the problem of progressives who present their arguments in a conservative way because the public might not understand the fundamentals of functional finance. He says:

Quote:
The scholars who understand it hesitate to speak out boldly for fear that the people will not understand. The people, who understand it quite easily, also fear to speak out while they wait for the scholars to speak out first. The difference between our present situation and that of the story is that it is not an emperor but the people who are periodically made to go naked and hungry and insecure and discontented – a ready prey to less timid organizers of discontent for the destruction of civilization (emphasis in original).

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=5762

22.10.2015 10:18
Edvard Kardelj
General Secretary

http://wonkette.com/594898/crazy-tongue-...our-hearts

Wonkers, are you ready to meet your new best friend? Her name is Opal Covey, she is 75 years old, and she is running for mayor of Toledo (Ohio, not Spain, geography nerds). You excited yet? Did we mention how she speaks in tongues and how she says she’s a prophetess who talks to Jesus directly, probably on her Obamaphone? In fact, she says she’s not even “running” for mayor, but rather “reclaiming” the mayor’s seat, which is rightfully hers because God said, way back in 2000, that she was supposed to be mayor. So she simply MUST run, over and over again, until her God finally gets off the shitter and waves His magic wand to install her as His rightful queen of Toledo. Yep, she’s GREAT, and she is your new best friend.

Opal stopped by the WIOT 104.7 radio studio in Toledo to talk about her campaign platform, which, according to the Toledo Blade, basically consists of “Let’s build amusement parks downtown, marijuana lets the devil into your wiener, and also red light cameras fuckin’ suck, amirite?” But apparently everything went wrong on the radio, because she ended up having to speak tongues at the DJ, Fred LeFebvre, and rebuke him in the name of Jesus, because he didn’t take her seriously.

Toledo history lesson from Opal Covey

Opal Covey, the candidate for mayor of Toledo newly declared as a Republican, has done some research and concluded that Democrats have nearly destroyed Toledo. She picked 1967 as the start of the city's decline because, according to her, that marked the end of Republicans being in power in Toledo.

That was the last full year that Republican John Potter was mayor. Other than Republican Mayor Donna Owens (1984 to 1990) and current independent Mayor Mike Bell (2010 to present), all the mayors since January, 1968 have been Democrats.

By the way, Opal's voter registration file shows that she was registered as a Democrat as recently as 2012 when she pulled a Democratic ballot in the primary.

Here's Opal Covey's bumper sticker:

http://toledoblade.typepad.com/bladeslic...covey.html

This post was last modified: 22.10.2015 21:51 by Helsworth.

22.10.2015 18:23
Helsworth
Heathen

I used tinypic to resize your image, Edvard. I hope you don't mind. Wink

22.10.2015 21:52
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Of The Young Turks Election Day Meltdown Helsworth 3 1,571 23.11.2016 18:25
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Gary Johnson Might Throw A Wrench In The 2016 Election Helsworth 0 1,197 03.08.2016 13:23
Last Post: Helsworth
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Blue Wizard 123 28,221 01.10.2015 07:34
Last Post: VineFynn
  Russian election results Lord Weasel 29 4,053 13.12.2011 05:42
Last Post: Lord Alexander
  Who will win the 2012 U.S. presidential election? thisisme9403 17 6,220 25.02.2011 18:24
Last Post: RichardAWilson
  Election Politics Killer300 21 6,167 10.01.2011 06:24
Last Post: Triniteras
  UK Election - May 6th 2010 ystradband 37 7,133 10.01.2011 06:22
Last Post: Theolor

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites