Unrealistic gigantic drop in civil rights

RinNatsume

Words count: 6,551
Group: Basic
Experience: 310
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

Unrealistic gigantic drop in civil rights

In my state of Minguk, http://www.ars-regendi.com/state/180638/show.html, I got a task on torture:

Having caught a kidnapper who refuses to reveal where he hid his hostage, the police threatened to torture him. Now, a new discussion about this topic is ensuing.

Option 1:
“The life of this innocent child could have been saved by the use of adequate measures!” reckons Zac Robins, the chief inspector who got suspended because he threatened the kidnapper. “Under certain conditions, namely if life and limb of others is in immediate danger and the offender is known, the police should be allowed to apply certain practices to prevent an escalation.”
Option 2:
"Guidelines, terms, instructions..." whispers a man with hat and a long coat standing in a dark side street. “Who is enacting the laws here...?”
Option 3:
“In no way should torture be used again! Never ever!” cries Maria Young, a human rights activist. “The physical inviolability is an indefeasible human right. Anyone who uses torture on criminals is a criminal themselves. What happens, if the alleged criminal is innocent?”

I chose Option 2, thinking that it would be good if torture on criminals is done secretly.

Then, my civil rights suddenly dropped from I think, maybe 50-60+ to 20. http://www.ars-regendi.com/state/180638/detail3.html

I know that the option I picked will have adverse consequences on the civil rights condition in my nation, but that large a drop seems sudden and too enormous.

I mean, you just gave some authority on your secret police, right? C'mon, man, the U.S does regularly totalitarian shit like these and their civil rights seems not to lower that much.

25.02.2015 07:03
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

RE: Unrealistic gigantic drop in civil rights

That task option renders things like procedures and human rights at the whim of the government, or head of government. You can ask the admins for a quarter reset, though.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 25.02.2015 15:59 by Helsworth.

25.02.2015 15:59
MrProper
天皇

Words count: 449,512
Experience: 185232
Glory Points: 3847
Medals: 104

In my opinion, it is not unrealistic at all. First of all, it is not about the hostage situation itself. It was merely a trigger for the discussion. As mentioned in the introduction, it is a general discussion about torture. Secondly, it should be obvious that allowing torture will have an enormous (negative) impact on civil rights - even under "justified" circumstances. After all, in the real world, 157 states ratified the United Nations Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.

The first option is the "mild" solution, since torture would be allowed, but restricted by laws and only used in very delicate situations (similar to the example stated in the introduction).

The second option, however, would allow torture without any regulation, observation and restrictions. Ignoring existing laws, it is now possible to torture anyone, including members of the political opposition, dissidents and journalists.

Some tasks, including this one, have broad and extreme set of possible solutions, allowing a number of different play styles. Unfortunately, you picked the "dictators option" this time.

冥王星違法です
25.02.2015 17:40
TheLastShah
Human Developer

Words count: 575,468
Experience: 8961887
Glory Points: 1692
Medals: 50

I agree fully with MrProper and your country is condemned for its secret torturing methods by the international community. Zwinker2

...wartet immer noch darauf, dass Nietzsche zurückkehrt. Geniales RP findet man hier.

- | - -

Rise early. Work hard. Strike oil.
- J. P. Getty

World Moderator / Inactive due to injury Sad
25.02.2015 17:50
RinNatsume

I didn't actually understood the task option, I thought it was just torturing criminals secretly, not extending the torture at all aspects.

I have problems with my English because my native language is not English at all, so sometimes I don't fully understand the tasks, or was the option just too vague? I don't know.

I don't like the sharp drop in the civil rights, though, maybe a quarter reset can help.
Well, can I ask for a quarter reset before I answered that torture issue? I hate a red value of 20+ civil rights index.

26.02.2015 10:59
Helsworth
Heathen

RinNatsume Wrote:
I didn't actually understood the task option, I thought it was just torturing criminals secretly, not extending the torture at all aspects.

I have problems with my English because my native language is not English at all, so sometimes I don't fully understand the tasks, or was the option just too vague? I don't know.

I don't like the sharp drop in the civil rights, though, maybe a quarter reset can help.
Well, can I ask for a quarter reset before I answered that torture issue? I hate a red value of 20+ civil rights index.

I sent a message to the admins with your request. They should reply shortly.

26.02.2015 11:16
RinNatsume

Thanks, Helsworth, your discussions on neo-charlatanism, or whatever monetary economic theory was that has changed my view on economics forever since I established a state in Ars Regendi.

26.02.2015 11:27
Helsworth
Heathen

RinNatsume Wrote:
Thanks, Helsworth, your discussions on neo-charlatanism, or whatever monetary economic theory was that has changed my view on economics forever since I established a state in Ars Regendi.

Yes, modern monetary theory is neochartalism ^ _ ^
Glad to hear that, dude. The 'revolution' starts at the grassroots with factual arguments, not with ideology. Have fun.

26.02.2015 11:37
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Great Wall Project and Civil Rights Index hamma13 2 1,150 02.03.2018 23:27
Last Post: MrProper
  Popularity drop yangusbeef 0 1,124 24.09.2015 23:34
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Unrealistic exitus (negative GDP, daily free time exceeding day length,...) ivojr 1 1,181 17.06.2015 23:34
Last Post: Helsworth
  Sharp drop of popularity Azzure 7 2,490 04.06.2015 07:59
Last Post: Helsworth
  Unrealistic Exitus (coup) in Roma Latium Konstantin III 3 1,300 11.03.2015 23:25
Last Post: Konstantin III
  Civil rights down 1101% McHuff 3 1,112 04.05.2014 07:26
Last Post: MrProper
  Severe recession, along with wonky rights Kickass Q. 6 1,568 27.03.2011 20:53
Last Post: Kickass Q.
  Unexplained Spending Drop (PROJECT BUG) vortex79 14 3,481 09.04.2010 11:06
Last Post: Sheep
  Positive Civil Rights Growth When In Negative Akeron 2 1,322 12.10.2009 20:33
Last Post: Akeron

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites