Donovius
Governor

Words count: 15,400
Group: Translator
Experience: 86
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

US Politicians Invade Germany

I'm appalled that US presidential candidates are now campaigning in Germany and around the world.

Apparently, Germany is our 51st state, France our 52nd, Israel our 53rd...

Why should Chancellor Merkel or President Sarkozy even give the time of day to a junior US senator from Illinois? Before they were elected, did Merkel or Sarkozy run around the US giving speeches? Obama can have a summer vacation in Europe during the campaign and perhaps meet with some various low or mid-level politicians for coffee, but this level of attention is way out of line.

Aside from the very intelligent people who play Ars Regendi, most others in Europe know only that Obama is simply not Bush and not white. That's reason enough to throw a huge party for him??? I'm really disgusted by the scenes from Berlin with Obama trying to look like JFK or Reagan with masses of clueless people waving American flags. Are Germans really buying into the rhetoric of Obama, a man whom Americans barely know, no less Germans? I’m sorry for being a little harsh here, but this is just bizarre!

For instance here is an excerpt from CNN today:

Quote:
But nobody in the German press appears to have been quite as smitten by their visitor as Bild reporter Judith Bonesky, who had the opportunity to work out with Obama in the gym of the Ritz Carlton Hotel earlier in the day.

"Obama (with toned arms and a strong back) puts on his headphones for his iPod to listen to pop music. He hums quietly. Then he jumps on a fitness bike. He pushes three times on the pedals -- but then can't be bothered with it.

"He picks up a pair of 16 kilo weights and starts curling them with his left and right arms, 30 repetitions on each side. Then, amazingly, he picks up the 32 kilo weights! Very slowly he lifts them, first 10 curls with his right, then 10 with his left.

Quickly I ask: "Mr. Obama, could I take a photo?". "Of course!" he answers, before asking my name and coming over to stand next to me. "My name's Judith" I reply. "I'm Barack Obama, nice to meet you!" he says, and puts his arm across my shoulder. I put my arm around his hip -- wow, he didn't even sweat! WHAT A MAN!"

Shocked umpf umpf umpf

What?!?!?! But then again we live in a superficial image driven world now. Is this the general tone that his visit is being reported on by European news?

Every country has the government it deserves. - Joseph de Maistre
26.07.2008 00:29
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Z. Beeblebrox
back in black

Words count: 169,538
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 112

RE: US Politicians Invade Germany

Yes ist's really a bit bizzare. But I think most of these people at the Siegessäule didn't come to hear a politician, but for the event.
He is more like a Kind of pop star.
In the news they showed pictures of the people, and there was one man greeting everyone coming and one thing he said was "enjoy the show". I think that's symptomatic.

And of course there were critical voices, people with protest banners about death penalty, Guantanamo Bay or the right to wear a gun, but these were not allowed widely around the place Obama spoke. And this was a little minority easy to oversee. But in the serious (and probably best German) News "Tagesthemen" they also showed this minority.

And for this Judith Bonesky. Just don't care about it. The Bild is not worth ANY attention. Its the German pendant to the British SUN.

But after all, your still right. I don't really understand all that noise about him too.
Maybe it's just the hope of getting someone if not better, at least smarter than Bush as new president.

This post was last modified: 26.07.2008 01:25 by Z. Beeblebrox.

26.07.2008 01:22
fleischidambach
Kurfürst fleischidamach/Super Mod

Words count: 254,239
Group: Basic
Experience: 2372
Glory Points: 95
Medals: 6

Z. Beeblebrox Wrote:
(...)He is more like a Kind of pop star.
(...)

I think that totaly describes it. In Europe politicians are different than in the US. There's (not yet) as many show in this business as in the US and people get very easy attracted to this (for them) new kind of politician. And maybe a lot people think, that a dark, democratic candidate is some kind of US messiah - and the opposite of Bush. That are my conclusions.

Besides: Great Britain is your 51st state:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227984/ Zwinker2 Hehe

Befreundet mit Girips

This post was last modified: 26.07.2008 12:28 by fleischidambach.

26.07.2008 12:19
Donovius
Governor

fleischidambach Wrote:

Z. Beeblebrox Wrote:
(...)He is more like a Kind of pop star.
(...)

I think that totaly describes it. In Europe politicians are different than in the US. There's (not yet) as many show in this business as in the US and people get very easy attracted to this (for them) new kind of politician.

Yes, politicians with substance will be officially dead and gone after this election. The new breed is all pop star and only about image and perception. Prayi27x25Prayi27x25Prayi27x25 Daumen2

So far the current campaign expenditures are:

Obama: $261,961,843 (168,117,080 Euros)
McCain: $99,511,061 (63,856,183 Euros)

Experts are predicting well over a billion dollars will be spent by both candidates by November. Over a BILLION dollars for just TWO men in ONE election!

And lets not forget about spending by external groups that pay for ads on behalf of the candidates. They'll spend an additional $500 million. Sickening. It's all showbiz in American politics now! Don't let this happen in Europe!!!

31.07.2008 20:20
Globaltom
Alter Recke

Words count: 1,086,576
Experience: 768
Glory Points: 330
Medals: 12

Suedparadies

Not in such dimensions .
The European Electionsystem is other we need not that Money.
Neverseless its scaring how they waste money.

Briefwähler
31.07.2008 20:48
fleischidambach
Kurfürst fleischidamach/Super Mod

Words count: 254,239
Experience: 2372
Glory Points: 95
Medals: 6

Donovius Wrote:
Yes, politicians with substance will be officially dead and gone after this election. The new breed is all pop star and only about image and perception.

From my point of few, the last president with substance in the white house was Clinton - Bush jun. isn't one.

Donovius Wrote:
It's all showbiz in American politics now! Don't let this happen in Europe!!!

As mentioned above, our system right now is quite different. The ads for politicians are payed by the budget as far as I know Kopfkratz. At least in Austria.

Befreundet mit Girips
01.08.2008 08:36
Globaltom
Alter Recke

Words count: 1,086,576
Experience: 768
Glory Points: 330
Medals: 12

Suedparadies

Quite the same in German , benefits only from Partymembers
from others ( eg. Industrie) has to much suspect from korrumption.
Clinton Hmm lets say he was the real popstar .

Well Bush has not even the charisma of his dad Bush sen.
but compared to ah boring John Kerry Rolleyes

Well we now the result .

Briefwähler
01.08.2008 12:53
gyrion

Words count: 80
Experience: 0

Donovius Wrote:
Before they were elected, did Merkel or Sarkozy run around the US giving speeches?

I'm not sure about Sarkozy, but Merkel did a US trip during her election campaign and met with President Bush. I'm pretty sure she gave a speech as well although the us media didn't pay much attention to a non-us politician coming from a non-us country giving a speech. So the only difference her is the attention that the media payed to their visits and speeches...

02.08.2008 16:32
Barack Tryit
...under the rainbow...

Words count: 241,911
Experience: 3101
Glory Points: 535
Medals: 22

Guarenta
Jive
Samba Pa Ti

I´m not sure, but couldn´t it stand for another type of US politics, if someone cares for non US (Europe) even as president candidate. To me it usually looks like US is mainly interested in US, then in US, then........

Yes, it´s too much of show, but unfortunately that´s, what the people seem to want. Perhaps on long term basis more and more people learn to look at the essentials. But I expect, that, if I won´t be able to experience that in my life.

At all, nobody really knows, but at least I can hope for a sound, longterm improved politics with Democrats and Obama, although currently it´s an open "race", isn´t it ?

Es ist was es ist, sagt die Liebe. (Erich Fried)
It's just, what it is, says love (my translation)
02.08.2008 18:43
Donovius
Governor

Of course, I'm all for a US president that is pro-European! I'm probably the biggest supporter of Europe in America! Outside my home, I fly the EU flag right next to the California flag. Jaja

I believe that the EU and America should work hand-in-hand to solve the world's problems. America is best at invention and innovation, while Europe is best at social and political progression. If we tempered America's raw capitalism with Europe's social and environmental consciousness, the world would be a much better place.

However, Obama is not going to create a positive “give and take” relationship with Europe. He sees Europe as a tool. A tool to get elected and a tool to implement his agenda. For instance he is going to call for more European troops to go to Iraq and Afghanistan, while he withdraws US troops. I have a feeling he is going to open up a front of the “war on terror” in Africa as well, so expect to see more combat if he is elected.

McCain has decades of foreign policy experience and has built up many relationships with European leaders and he respects their views, unlike Bush. He may not withdraw US troops right away, but being a former military officer and POW, he will probably make better choices to move us towards ending the war.

02.08.2008 23:49
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  It Doesn’t Matter Who Replaces Merkel. Germany Is Broken. Malone 6 1,661 25.07.2019 01:09
Last Post: Globaltom
  Snowden not to fall in Germany StatlerNWaldorf 1 1,125 08.07.2013 14:57
Last Post: Helsworth
  Should Germany grant Edward Snowden asylum? Malone 12 2,889 05.07.2013 16:23
Last Post: Helsworth
  FACE PALM, Sarah Palin wants to invade the Czech Republic Helsworth 10 2,854 24.04.2013 21:23
Last Post: Titian
  "The Western powers divided Germany" Helsworth 27 6,418 04.07.2011 22:24
Last Post: Globaltom
  Your Favorite Politicians Killer300 21 3,704 10.12.2010 09:27
Last Post: thisisme9403

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites