Poll: What do you dislike in Ars Regendi?
too confusing
bad user guidance
too complicated
bad layout
unclear consequences of my actions
too boring
too much advertising
too many bugs
expensive Premium features
not realistic
something else, please name it
[Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next > Last »

What do you dislike in Ars Regendi?

Premier Himmler

Words count: 661
Group: Basic
Experience: 8
Glory Points: 0
Medals: 0

RE: What do you dislike in Ars Regendi?

Well, the game is fun, but it placed too much importances in economics and the happiness of citizens. I think it would be more exciting if there are also importances stressed in maintaining national integrity (state security), the patriotism and obedience of the citizens to their rulers as well as having an option to wage wars whether it is justifiable or not. The game is also a bit slow for my taste. The fact that I can only commit some actions before being forced to wait the whole day is pretty bore-inducing.

25.02.2012 18:51
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Titian
Benevolently Watching You

Words count: 557,754
Experience: 1706
Glory Points: 1364680
Medals: 5643

Premier Himmler Wrote:
Well, the game is fun, but it placed too much importances in economics and the happiness of citizens. I think it would be more exciting if there are also importances stressed in maintaining national integrity (state security), the patriotism and obedience of the citizens to their rulers as well as having an option to wage wars whether it is justifiable or not. The game is also a bit slow for my taste. The fact that I can only commit some actions before being forced to wait the whole day is pretty bore-inducing.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum, may I have the honours or would you like to deal with it yourself? Glotz

"If you grab them by their balls, their hearts and minds will follow." (Yes, Minister)

25.02.2012 19:38
JoblessInDebt

Words count: 2,360
Experience: 100

Thanks for the encouragement and replies! I'll have an eye out on those comprehensive schools then, thanks.

About yastraband's suggestion, let’s give it a try:

"Propping up higher education offer.

For some years to this date, it has been argued by people from different social strata, unemployed, academics, businessmen and political figures as well, that the offer Nation XYZland has in terms of higher education courses/studies needs to be readjusted.

1. "...and we need to do it immediately! This country has too many unemployed young people who were lured into the socio-humanistic studies simply because there were vacancies. Have you seen the numbers lately? How many lawyers are out of a job, working as cashiers? Or how many of these graduates have also migrated?! Look at this number. Do we really need all these vacancies every year in "Specialization in Arcanii Literature"? Last year, there was 1 student attending these classes, and she was there because she ran away from mathematics, she said. And we all know who has to pay the teacher’s salaries as well as installations and materials! Tax payers money can no longer be wasted like this. I propose immediate works to restructure offer on Public Universities with focus on enhancing Science, Technology and Health. Some graduations will have a lot less vacancies and others have to be extinct, but we will let those who are currently studying choose if they want to change to better employment prospects or stay where they are and face future unemployment." And this concluded the speech of shadow minister for education at the National Assembly (aka Senate or House of Commons or Parliament).

Explain: In my opinion this is the rich country’s solution, it will be expensive. In the medium/long term people happiness will increase because they will have better prospects of good jobs after graduating. Maybe decrease civil rights a little in the short term, because some choices will be limited. Popularity will increase and power decrease, both because people (specially those abstentionist voters) will like to see opening to a proposal from opposition politicians, which is supported by prominent social figures. Regarding economy lets give it 4 years to be concluded (public sector is a bit inefficient) and 3-4 more years for people to graduate. Then, after these 7-8 years, we can see the first increase in gross domestic product and personal income. Please take under consideration that this could have a powerful effect on reducing unemployment in the medium/long term.

2. A well known successful businessman from XYZland Belmiroti Azevedos says: "Our corporation Soniacom is known in our country and abroad not only for our commitment to our clients but also for our investment in society. Unfortunately we have our hands tied at the moment because of legislation and cannot start a project for a new School of Technological Specialization. Like a few other companies in XYZland we have a diversified field of operation and, due to our strategy of development focusing on exports rather than internationalisation, we would profit from creating specific courses for:
a) New students who would have to commit in working with us for a contractual number of years (thus combating youth unemployment). Of course they could leave at any time, but would have to repay our investment in their education, as happens with Air-Force pilots trained by the state. In any case, they would be in the possession of a good and up-to-date tool that would catapult them into well-paid jobs, even abroad.
b) For knowledge recycling of our older workers, thus giving them the tools to stay employed for longer avoiding aged unemployment.
All we ask for is a change in legislation and a one-off public investment on infrastructure. We already have world-renowned professionals and academics willing to join our "future" school and educational project.

Explain: This would be an average solution for a rich country and good for a developing country or smaller nations with weaker economies, because most of the financial effort will fall on the private sector. It makes sense that the effects be the same as in the previous case but dimmer/lower (except for civil rights, nothing should happen here). As for the timings, being the private sector more efficient and people having a more precise/directed motivation (studying towards employment) I would make it 3+3 years for the first effects to show up.

3. Nobel prize winner for literature Joseph Saramagoy says: "People are entitled to choose whatever Higher-Education specialization they want. This is paramount for one's personal development, happiness and ultimately for the good of society. A person's development cannot be instrumentalised for the benefit of corporations! If people want to become philosophers, then they should be able to. Higher education is too expensive nowadays; if any change has to be made it is to increase subsidizing for people who want to study.

Explain: This is THAT option which will hinder a developed and rich country and it will be bad for a weaker/smaller economy. Needless to say that expenses in education will increase severely but there will also be a high level of inefficiency on the use of this money.
In the short term happiness will increase but when people realize they have made some bad choices for their education it will start do decrease significantly, compared to the increase. Civil rights can go up as well as popularity.

4. Jonnas Brighton, a young political activist of the Humanist Party (with no seats in Senate) who has worked in several private companies thanks to his wealthy father's influence, says with pride: "I've graduated in philosophy while I was employed! And made many friends at work and outside, too. I paid for my house and my studies, with only limited assistance from my family... aham... It was very good for me, now I am more intelligent. No need for subsidizing, though. People should choose what they want to study of course, but we can pay for it. I did! Now excuse me, my boss is calling me because someone wrote a dissertation about Karl Popper’s views on capitalism, on the Quarterly Profits Report...

Explain: This is the typical comic relief option that I like to see in some tasks. In practice everything remains the same. No restructuring, no subsidizing. I dedicate this one to a friend I made at a past job, who really graduated in philosophy and would pester everybody everyday with philosophy and literal translations of English songs lyrics: João Brighton Wink I bet you play this game too.

This post was last modified: 25.02.2012 22:59 by JoblessInDebt.

25.02.2012 22:54
Zero_SCO

Words count: 213
Experience: 2

For me, the tasks system can be an area of real frustration.

Yesterday, for example, I opted to enable the courts/ISPs to restrict internet access to those diagnosed with internet addiction and at the request of parents. I fundamentally believe in a free internet, but in extreme cases it can prove detrimental to the well-being of those with addiction issues (Premium accounts they cannot afford, sacrificing other aspects of their life) etc..

Today, I log in to find that apparantly I'm also censoring the internet. This was not the intention of the choice nor was this consequence expressed within the context of the selection made.

Mandatory membership of worker's unions somehow degrades workers right. Perhaps there is a reasonable explanation for this, but it was not made and left me feeling that perhaps somebody's personal politics has influenced the outcome of that choice. I realise this runs both way, and as someone who believes in worker's representation I am inclined to assume a net positive end result - however I fail to see how collective negoatation could realistically result in a drop in wages and conditions. If anything, it could be perceived to cripple the state with frequent industrial action. it is not like the decision could not have some drawbacks, but this drawback seems inappropriate.

27.05.2015 09:26
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,451
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

Zero_SCO Wrote:
For me, the tasks system can be an area of real frustration.

Yesterday, for example, I opted to enable the courts/ISPs to restrict internet access to those diagnosed with internet addiction and at the request of parents. I fundamentally believe in a free internet, but in extreme cases it can prove detrimental to the well-being of those with addiction issues (Premium accounts they cannot afford, sacrificing other aspects of their life) etc..

Today, I log in to find that apparantly I'm also censoring the internet. This was not the intention of the choice nor was this consequence expressed within the context of the selection made.

Mandatory membership of worker's unions somehow degrades workers right. Perhaps there is a reasonable explanation for this, but it was not made and left me feeling that perhaps somebody's personal politics has influenced the outcome of that choice. I realise this runs both way, and as someone who believes in worker's representation I am inclined to assume a net positive end result - however I fail to see how collective negoatation could realistically result in a drop in wages and conditions. If anything, it could be perceived to cripple the state with frequent industrial action. it is not like the decision could not have some drawbacks, but this drawback seems inappropriate.

Hover your mouse on the right to the [?] "Former decisions had the following consequences:" and read the description.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache
27.05.2015 10:34
Blue Wizard
Istari

Words count: 147,611
Experience: 7413
Glory Points: 4560
Medals: 94

Texas
Morocco
Algeria

A-R Administrators:

I know that this would be difficult to simulate, but it would be nice if the states within worlds would be more influenced by other states within that world. For example, rather than having tasks prompted by the actions of fictitious states, it would be nice if tasks reflected the actions of actual states in that world.

Cheers,

-Jay

“Courage will now be your best defence against the storm that is at hand-—that and such hope as I bring.” Gandalf the Grey
27.05.2015 15:17
Malone
Admin

Words count: 911,576
Group: Admin
Experience: 838
Glory Points: 125
Medals: 8

Can you pay a team of economists, mathematicians and cybernetics? Wink

Politischer Test Test site from Ars Regendi for the evaluation and comparison of political alignments

Kein(e) Planet*In ist illegal!

Autor der Blüte des Zweifels
28.05.2015 00:00
Blue Wizard
Istari

Words count: 147,611
Experience: 7413
Glory Points: 4560
Medals: 94

Texas
Morocco
Algeria

Malone:

That is why I acknowledged, "I know that this would be difficult to simulate."

Best wishes,

-Jay

“Courage will now be your best defence against the storm that is at hand-—that and such hope as I bring.” Gandalf the Grey
28.05.2015 00:56
yoyous
Unregistered

i voted other , will be awesome to be more than 2 tasks everyday , sims to less , i mean more actions will be cool to have , i am very near to exit the site because is to less tasks and actions , tomorrow i leave i think , please do something because i like the game to simulate and learn Smile

08.09.2015 15:30
Quote this message in a reply
Edvard Kardelj
General Secretary

Words count: 44,838
Experience: 61

People who are not actively playing a state, and some who never have, can post in the forum.

That's why you have trolls

This post was last modified: 08.09.2015 19:38 by Edvard Kardelj.

08.09.2015 18:19
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Ars Regendi's economics unrealistic? RinNatsume 3 1,766 26.08.2016 05:01
Last Post: VineFynn
  Why Ars-Regendi economic matrix needs overhaul Helsworth 1 1,754 15.10.2015 02:25
Last Post: Blue Wizard
  What do you like in Ars Regendi? Unkas 14 7,827 30.07.2015 18:42
Last Post: Blue Wizard
  Re-Vamping Ars-Regendi (Worlds Version) Part 1 GeneralMangi 12 3,775 07.12.2012 23:43
Last Post: Sheep
  Ars-Regendi Wiki IzyE 12 7,100 05.12.2010 18:36
Last Post: Devi
  An [Un-]Official ARS Regendi Wiki? DRLHyper 23 7,339 10.09.2010 04:25
Last Post: DRLHyper
Question Review for Ars Regendi Malone 0 4,601 02.02.2009 16:41
Last Post: Malone

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites