Post Reply  Post Thread 

What is your opinion of the economics academia?

Ajay Alcos
Monk

Words count: 45,537
Group: Basic
Experience: 553
Glory Points: 450
Medals: 10

What is your opinion of the economics academia?

[The Guardian] The Econocracy review – how three students caused a global crisis in economics

Personally I concur with the article that there is an overemphasis within the academic field of economics on established theory and in turn an underwhelming focus on critical thinking. The collection of empirical data in regard to economics like other fields obviously has some degree of error, but like the other sciences the data extrapolated and collected by economists is generally of a reliable nature (assuming their data hasn't been replaced or tampered by nefarious actors). On the other hand, I take great issue with the way a significant number of individuals hailing from the many differing schools of economics have, been and are using economic data findings to further their own established economic and/or political narratives rather than including other extraneous factors such as geography, strength of institutions, cultural value systems and other factors which may have some bearing and effect on the different degrees of economic development amongst societies. I also have found a sense of close-mindedness in regards to understanding the driving logic behind all the other schools of economics which I find not only an obstacle to learning, but detrimental to the further development of economics as a whole. Despite all that, I am eager to hear all your opinions on this matter.

This post was last modified: 11.02.2017 10:37 by Ajay Alcos.

11.02.2017 10:33
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helsworth
Heathen

Words count: 1,597,963
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 859
Glory Points: 260
Medals: 11

RE: What is your opinion of the economics academia?

"What would you keep from mainstream economics? Just the observations (cuz its assumptions are bullshit)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1OgFeL4oQ
I also remember checking out a forum dedicated to orthodox econ aspirants. You should have seen the vitriol they displayed on the notion that history and psychology ought to be a (some) part of the course. They were behaving like silver-spooned aristos, angry that "dirty" subjects were invading their own personal fiefdoms.
Also, on the issue of pluralism, MMTer John Harvey makes the most sensible case for it.

https://www.patreon.com/SerbanVCEnache

This post was last modified: 11.02.2017 10:57 by Helsworth.

11.02.2017 10:43
Ajay Alcos
Monk

Words count: 45,537
Group: Basic
Experience: 553
Glory Points: 450
Medals: 10

RE: What is your opinion of the economics academia?

Helsworth Wrote:
"What would you keep from mainstream economics? Just the observations (cuz its assumptions are bullshit)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1OgFeL4oQ
I also remember checking out a forum dedicated to orthodox econ aspirants. You should have seen the vitriol they displayed on the notion that history and psychology ought to be a (some) part of the course. They were behaving like silver-spooned aristos, angry that "dirty" subjects were invading their own personal fiefdoms.
Also, on the issue of pluralism, MMTer John Harvey makes the most sensible case for it.

Cheers. I personally find that students hailing from certain elite universities sometimes put on airs as if their particular place of study makes them "intellectually superior" to pretty much everyone else. When I'm feeling sadistic, sometimes I twist their logic in a way with which I may lightly mock them with it. Some of them become amused others not so much...

13.02.2017 22:08
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Gazprom School of Economics - Miller Hall of Macroeconomics Alexei B.Miller 213 44,478 15.06.2019 14:00
Last Post: Alexei B.Miller
  Economics is not a real science (xpost r/badphilosophy) gamora77 3 312 20.03.2019 01:42
Last Post: MrProper
  An Argument against Capitalist Economics ClassyCommunist 10 1,746 14.02.2017 18:30
Last Post: Ajay Alcos
  J is for Junk economics. Michael Hudson. Free market = Freedom from rent seekers Helsworth 1 808 22.11.2016 17:35
Last Post: yangusbeef
  Methods for teaching simple economics Ajay Alcos 2 872 07.03.2016 17:47
  Ibn Khaldun, pure awesome 14th century economics Helsworth 1 885 13.01.2016 07:37
  From Kenneth Boulding's Economics of Peace 1945 Helsworth 0 893 10.05.2015 12:53
Last Post: Helsworth
  Caius Filimon Gabriel Economics CaiusFilimonG 23 2,909 21.12.2014 10:14
Last Post: Alexei B.Miller
  Steve Keen, The Dodgy Dynamics of Economics Helsworth 0 1,003 15.06.2014 15:43
  Debunking Austrian economics 101, by Lord Keynes Helsworth 0 2,140 31.05.2014 19:38

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites