BaktoMakhno
Looter

Words count: 245,068
Group: Basic
Experience: 496
Glory Points: 10
Medals: 1

RE: Why does high school suck?

Where are Vince and Beste when we need them?

@ RP I hear the conformism is really bad in Argentina. In Britain its almost the opposite. The worst thing you could be (after a snitch or a homosexual) was a 'try hard'. Nothing brought ridicule like making effort to fit in.

"The beauty of free trade is that 1 and 1 can be 3" - Titian

"There is no conversation more boring than one where Globaltom speaks" - Triniterias
07.02.2014 22:50
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chad7405
Unregistered

Rising Phoenix Wrote:
Curiously, I was marginalized because I did not talk about sex all day like everybody else. It also drastically reduced my ability to relate to my peers.

Whatever. I didn't go around ranting about vaginas either; The key is to get with people you can actually be with and not conform or try to get into a group you can't get into. I had really good friends and we talked about what we wanted to unlike everyone else, and the others joked at us and we joked back, but they respected us all the same for doing our own thing.

07.02.2014 23:33
Quote this message in a reply
Rising Phoenix
Unregistered

chad7405 Wrote:

Rising Phoenix Wrote:
Curiously, I was marginalized because I did not talk about sex all day like everybody else. It also drastically reduced my ability to relate to my peers.

Whatever. I didn't go around ranting about vaginas either; The key is to get with people you can actually be with and not conform or try to get into a group you can't get into. I had really good friends and we talked about what we wanted to unlike everyone else, and the others joked at us and we joked back, but they respected us all the same for doing our own thing.

But as I said, I was marginalized. People actually made fun of me due to my inability to conform, and the fact that I could not share in their "interests" widened this gap - it was not the cause of it.

BaktoMakhno Wrote:
Where are Vince and Beste when we need them?

Good call. Hehe

BaktoMakhno Wrote:
@ RP I hear the conformism is really bad in Argentina. In Britain its almost the opposite. The worst thing you could be (after a snitch or a homosexual) was a 'try hard'. Nothing brought ridicule like making effort to fit in.

From my experience there are two kinds of classrooms in my country:

1. The "conform or be a loser" -- This was my early highschool. Aggravated by the school's reputation, the classmates I had there (particularly after reaching mid-years) were utter douchebags. Name-calling was common and back-talking in front of the person they were back-talking about was a daily occurrence.

2. The "everyone does their own thing" -- This was my later highschool experience. Honestly, nothing was better than this. Everyone just had their own style, their own preferences, and their own behavior. Maybe we all clashed every now and then - as expected - but no overt hostility was made towards anyone. Something to note was that I was not made fun of my pitch while it lasted, and when my pitch got lower it was simply mentioned as a casual reference (like "Hey, your pitch is lower compared to last year.").

From my experience it appears there is an average amount of both. Basically it gets better as time goes on and everyone matures.

A side note I would like to add: I also took part in the 'bully the nonconformist' myself in the past. This was in my last years of primary school, we used to verbally bully a kid because he would not think like us. It was only later when I went through what he had to that I understood how horrible bullying is. Sad

07.02.2014 23:52
Quote this message in a reply
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Petition to continue online school during coronavirus velazquez 0 566 05.12.2020 23:34
Last Post: velazquez
  Debating School Killer300 8 1,794 30.10.2017 06:45
Last Post: Anniston
  Szogun's Bible school-Bibelschule szogun 107 20,415 03.01.2014 17:52
Last Post: Helsworth
Cool Old School Classic Helsworth 2 1,224 08.05.2012 16:05
Last Post: Helsworth

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites