Group: Basic
Experience: 364
Glory Points: 100
Medals: 1

Galactor
Red Peacock
Why is corruption skyrocketing?

Greetings everyone, I have a doubt.

Honestly the game is a lot of fun, but something I cannot understand is why my USA states (and I have this only happen with my USA states) develop so much corruption in the late game.

Take my latest one for example. Why is corruption so high? People live good lives, the vast majority are employed, pensions & welfare are quite high (so neither retirees nor the unemployed have to restore to crime or shady dealings), infraestructure is top-notch... Yet at some point in the mid game corruption just kept rising and rising. Why?

12.10.2020 01:11
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrProper
天皇

Words count: 405,306
Group: Super Moderators
Experience: 184910
Glory Points: 3842
Medals: 103

Hammerfest
Suebia
Chicago
Galbadia
Timber
RE: Why is corruption skyrocketing?

Greater_Zenith Wrote:
People live good lives [...]

Not as good as you think.

The average net income is low compared to the cost of living. A US template starts out with a ratio of 2.35 (net income/cost of living). In your state, this ratio is ~1.29. Differently put: An average citizen has just about enough money to afford a living for him-/herself, but that's about it. Larger investments - luxury, holidays, family - are difficult to afford for many of your people. Naturally, they are willing to improve their income here and there with some "gifts".

冥王星違法です
13.10.2020 10:58
Greater_Zenith
Unorthodox Transhumanist

Words count: 0

Galactor
Red Peacock

MrProper Wrote:
The average net income is low compared to the cost of living. A US template starts out with a ratio of 2.35 (net income/cost of living). In your state, this ratio is ~1.29. Differently put: An average citizen has just about enough money to afford a living for him-/herself, but that's about it. Larger investments - luxury, holidays, family - are difficult to afford for many of your people. Naturally, they are willing to improve their income here and there with some "gifts".

I thought as much, but allow me to reformulate the question: What is causing that high living cost and stagnation of net income?

Although your words do seem to hint at something, I wish confirmation: Does this have to do with the relatively low investment in PE Family? I simply did not think it necessary. I considered that if I invested in all other areas (healthcare for example) then the money would be better spent than as mere child subsidies. I did not think that PE Family was so vital compared to the living costs.

This post was last modified: 14.10.2020 01:55 by Greater_Zenith.

13.10.2020 23:37
MrProper
天皇

Hammerfest
Suebia
Chicago
Galbadia
Timber

Greater_Zenith Wrote:
I thought as much, but allow me to reformulate the question: What is causing that high living cost and stagnation of net income?

Population growth.

In Ars Regendi, there is a negative correlation between rapidly growing populations and economies that can not keep up the pace. (If this is an issue in reality is still controversial, but high population growth in low-income countries can certainly slow their development) You will have to encourage economical growth to compensate for the increasing population, limit population growth itself, or hope that a fair amount of your citizens starts migrating to other countries.

Greater_Zenith Wrote:
Although your words do seem to hint at something, I wish confirmation: Does this have to do with the relatively low investment in PE Family?

Well, you can. But this will certainly encourage people to have children.

冥王星違法です
14.10.2020 08:55
Greater_Zenith
Unorthodox Transhumanist

Galactor
Red Peacock

Ah, I see! So it was not a case of too little investment in PE Family, but too much instead.

As for economy growth, I often experienced slow but gradual growth - I did not think it would be a problem, however now that you mention population growth being an issue I suppose I will need to get more involved in these aspects of my nation.

Thank you for help!

14.10.2020 09:11
MrProper
天皇

Hammerfest
Suebia
Chicago
Galbadia
Timber

Greater_Zenith Wrote:
As for economy growth, I often experienced slow but gradual growth - I did not think it would be a problem, however now that you mention population growth being an issue I suppose I will need to get more involved in these aspects of my nation.

To put this into a take home message: Make sure that your population does not grow faster than the economy of your state.

冥王星違法です
14.10.2020 22:06
Greater_Zenith
Unorthodox Transhumanist

Galactor
Red Peacock

MrProper Wrote:
To put this into a take home message: Make sure that your population does not grow faster than the economy of your state.

Do not worry, I understood as much.

Thank you again for the help.

14.10.2020 22:14
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wow, so much corruption! Rising Phoenix 27 2,780 08.06.2013 16:36
Last Post: Rising Phoenix
  How to battle corruption? Premier Himmler 8 1,163 26.02.2012 22:21
Last Post: Kleptomane
  High Corruption... nekro448 1 1,151 03.03.2011 16:06